copper coil

MommyJogger

Reaction score
Talk to me about your experiences/knowledge regarding bf with a copper coil in place. (When did you get it, any complications, etc) Or discuss other alternatives that don't affect milk supply. We're doner than done, so not willing to risk me failing to track properly while using nfp, but I'd prefer to avoid hormonal contraceptives if possible. I don't want to use a condom for the next 30 years and diaphragm user error and the thought of another baby gives me the heebies.

I had mine in a few weeks ago and BF seems to be unaffected. Although it has no hormones I read the copper can increase estrogen and my acne has worsened so not sure if that is why or just coincidence.

I don't quite trust it for some reason but guess it is just a matter of getting used to it!

Had mine 10 weeks now. No probs... Yet!!! Bf not affected. I feel great. No affect on weight, don't have any hormonal probs either.
I went with this option as I can't remember the pill and didn't want to put the 2 stone that I lost after depo back on!!!

I've had mine over a year now with no issues. No effect whatsoever to breastfeeding. I noticed that my periods were heavier at first, but they settled down over time. Seems like a good option.

I didn't want to go the hormone route but ovulation boob pain was jeopardising our BF relationship.

I'm on the mini pill (cerazette) and it's great. Swapping to the implant in a couple of weeks as it's lower hormone level and super effective.

I had an option to put in coils. In the end, I ended up getting my tubes removed & going through surgery instead. I had to remove or block off my tubes becasue of an infection. After doing a LOT of reading, the coils scared me. There are a lot of women with really, really bad experiences. Really bad.
You should do more research & search online....you're taking a chance with them. They may work out fine and no issues but I found that more women had short-term/long-term complications.
I agree w/a vasectomy. Way less evasive too.

I actually considered asking DH to get the vasectomy, but if anything were to happen to me I'd want him to remarry and they might want kids together (he'd be happy having another one or two, but DS2 is special needs and he respects that I'm the one at home all day, so is okay with stopping at 2). Then he'd have to get it reversed and I don't want that to become a point of contention in his future relationship if he goes on to be with someone else. Does anyone know if there are guidelines (age, # of kids, etc) before they'll remove my tubes? Is there hormone replacement associated with that?

In the UK they like you to be at least 30, but they do make you aware female sterilisation is a lot less certain than male.

I had my coil put in yesterday so can't really give you a long term view, but I got it because it was the one long term method that wouldn't affect breastfeeding. DH wants a vasectomy as he feels complete with 2 kids, I'm the one not 100% ready to say I'll never have another. My doctor told me she's never had any major complications from a coil, about 10% of women get an infection in the first 3 months, but that's just a round of antibiotics and its cleared. Getting it fitted was by no means comfortable but not much worse than a smear test, I had very bad cramps the evening after, felt a bit flu-y, bled quite a bit, but mostly back to normal today. A few cramps, light bleeding etc.

If you google of course you will get horror stories with the coil, as with any medical procedure there are those who have problems just as there would be with sterilisation, but they are an extreme minority. As with anything it's a risk management exercise, and the coil for it's successes is incredibly low risk with an extremely high success rate for preventing pregnancies, without many of the side affects hormonal contraceptions can bring. I have had it years, had it removed to get pregnant with our second and another reinserted, I find it to be a fantastic method of contraception, I very rarely have to think about it, I haven't even had heavier periods this time around. When we are emotionally ready DH will have a vasectomy, but I'm not ready for that yet (he might be lol!) oh and it didn't interfere with BF at all.

My experience with the copper coil was awful. I had it placed when my baby was about 8 weeks old (it was a teeny bit painful but over quickly--no big deal) but for two weeks following insertion I had awful cramps. Cramps that wrapped around my back, shot into my legs, etc. I've given birth twice and these were NASTY cramps. I had the coil in place from the time he was 8 weeks until he was 19 months and I had cramping and/or spotting almost every single day for that entire time. It was absurd. I got so sick of spotting and always worried if we had sex we would ruin the bedding. And the cramps were horrible. The other thing was that it really lowered my sex drive. I just felt gross and didn't want to be touched (although, in fairness, breastfeeding hormones could have been a factor there as well). When my period returned it was a nightmare. I was bleeding through super tampons in an hour (sorry TMI)!!!!! And before the coil I was someone who could use light or junior absorbency tampons. The ridiculously heavy periods were bullocks. The cramping with my periods was terrible. But the final straw the broke the camel's back was that I got pregnant. I sadly miscarried (or it was a CP, I don't know) very early on but clearly the copper coil did not agree with my body. Run far, far away.

DC Mum, I'm so sorry for your horrible experience.
Did you end up removing the coils?

You are better off to clamp your tubes than get the coils if you ask me.
I am not sure about age & number of kids. You'll have to consult with your doctor.
Clamping your tubes or not having them does not change your hormones in any way. It would only change if your ovaries were removed.

How on earth could an invasive procedure be better than a simple coil that can be removed if there are issues? Serious scaremongering going on here. I think judging by the replies on this thread OP you would be better off discussing it with your dr for a professional opinion :flower:

I was told the coils cannot be 'simply removed' unless done surgically.
I'm giving my own advise given I had to make a choice for myself and after a lot of reading, speaking to doctors, it wasn't worth the high risk of complications.
Hence why she's asking for opinions. Evidently she can make her own conclusions.

Yes and while I am sorry you had a tough time with it you are an extreme minority, I think it's irresponsible to tell someone they would be better off having surgery than the coil, it is totally scaremongering and unnecessary for the majority of women, you can tell your story without giving "medical" advice, as I say I think if the OP is scared by what's in this thread she would be better discussing it all with the dr but remember this site can be like dr google sometimes, when there are so many women on it there will be horror stories, but we have to live our lives by the sensible advice and statistics and not the unfortunate things that can happen to very few people. I totally understand you want to tell your story, and rightly you should as I imagine that was a horrible time, but to dictate like it will inevitably go wrong isn't fair, there are far more "success" stories.

I'm giving my own advise given I had to make a choice for myself and after a lot of reading, speaking to doctors, it wasn't worth the high risk of complications.
Hence why she's asking for opinions. Evidently she can make her own conclusions.

Removal was a total breeze for me. I barely felt a thing. I've heard stories of the IUD's coming out of place and having to be surgically removed but that is unusual. If you search online you will find loads of horror stories but plenty of women, myself included, have a completely straightforward IUD insertion and removal. I just didn't care for the side effects while it was placed. Well, and the minor detail of it not actually preventing pregnancy.

Removal was a total breeze for me. I barely felt a thing. I've heard stories of the IUD's coming out of place and having to be surgically removed but that is unusual. If you search online you will find loads of horror stories but plenty of women, myself included, have a completely straightforward IUD insertion and removal. I just didn't care for the side effects while it was placed. Well, and the minor detail of it not actually preventing pregnancy.
Haven't had it removed but the Dr showed me how and its very simple. Just reversal of insertion method. I agree there is serious scare mongering going on. Even the poster I've quoted who had the worst case scenario doesn't imply surgery is the best way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->