Could I be developing gestational diabetes?

Jacey

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

This is my first pregnancy so Im a bit clueless all round, but since seeing the midwife yesterday its been playing on my mind that I may be developing gestational diabetes.

Prior to becoming pregnant I struggled with my weight. 9 mths before concieving I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance and prescribed metformin medication as treatment.

When I fell pregnant I had to stop my medication. I barely gained any weight until around 25 wks and developed a small bump.

At my 28 wk antenatal apt I was weighed and had gained weight and I had my FH measured and was told I was measuring normal, 5 days after that I had a 4d scan and was told the estimated baby weight was 3lbs at that point {29wk5d}

In the last 7 days or so I feel huge and bulky, over xmas I have indulged but not to the extreme but i feel very heavy and bloated 24-7, I feel like i need to detox lol.

Anyway yesterday I saw the midwife and they tested my urine which came back as +2 glucose, I had however consumed tons of orange juice the night before and it was assumed that that was the reason.

My FH was measured again and I was told it was normal however last night I looked at my chart and the FH measurement was plotted at the higher end of normal where as ten days before at the 4d scan it was mid range normal.

Its got me thinking:- all in all I estimate I 've gained about 14lbs in the last 5/6 wks {no gain prior to that}, I have the history of insulin probs due to my PCOS, had the added glucose in my urine and am concerned in the rapid growth of myself and baby {if all estimations are correct then my baby has gained what seems a lot of weight in just 10/12 days.

Im prob completely wrong but just wondered what others thought and what other signs i should perhaps look out for x

My next apt isnt until 19th Jan x

I always thought that when you are over weight they do GD test on you. Im overweight and i had my GD test last week. I dont have it. But My uterus has always measured on the top end of normal intill last week when it measured 4 weeks ahead. had scan today and my baby measures 3 weeks ahead (i had a very early scan so my dates are correct). I actually lost so much weight in the 1st 20 weeks due to sickness that i weight less than i did at 12 weeks. I have had glucose in my urine but was told you need to 3 times in a row fot them to see it as a problem, drink oj would cause it. That said if your worried then call your midwife , dont wait till your appointment

Thanks hun, no one has mentioned a GD test to me, not sure if pre preg I was classed overweight or just within but I lost 14lbs just after 1st tri due to morning sickness and then only fairly recently started to gain.

Baby is measuring spot on just at the upper end of OK rather than mid range as she was before. No body seems concerned and I dont feel unwell so guess should just keep an eye on what im eating and drinking and my weight and see whats what.

Thanks for your reply, good luck with rest of your pregnancy x

Ask your mw if they are going to do a glucose tolerance test. This is how GD is diagnosed. PCOS is a risk factor for diabetes and gestational diabetes and since you had glucose tolerance issues before, it would be a good idea to have the tolerance test.

Don't stress about it too much though, even if you do have GD, it CAN be managed.

I have pcos as well, which maybe why they tested me. Maybe mention your concerns and see what they say. But accordding to my doctor where at the point now where we should put on most weight. I have no idea how much i lost but im still 6 pounds less than i was at 12 weeks yet like i said baby is measuring very good for dates. I felt horribe yesterday, like id had 2 much sugar and felt for sure i had GD but my test results came in today and are normal. Good luck for the rest fo your pregnancy

Request a GTT. And right now, cut down on your sugar and carbs just in case.

The weeks before I was diagnosed I was drinking massively but not peeing as mucg as I should have been. I was very swollen but put that down to raised BP and simply being pregnant.

The weight thing, stop thinking about it. I lost weight during my pregnancies. As my blood volume and the actual weight of the baby, placenta, fluid etc went up, my body fat weight went down.

Fundal height is a load of bull sh*t, and no scan got any of my babies weights correct. First two they underestimated their birth weight (scanned a few days prior to the birth), third time they said she was huge, nearly 9lb and she turned out to be only 6lb15oz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->