covering carpets during home birth

Kate7590

Reaction score
I am looking into having a home birth rather than a birth centre birth after a visit and chat with my MW today.

One thing I'm thinking about a lot is how to protect my new carpets in my living room.
Have thought about getting a big tarpaulin, but is it totally waterproof?
We're hoping to get a birthing pool too.

Any help appreciated :)

Use the plastic sheeting that they sell at hardware stores for painting.

My dad used to fit carpets and has loads of cut offs in his man shed. He's giving me a load which I'll put down in my front room, then I'll put down the waterproof coverings that come with the pool and shower curtains over everything else :) x

DIY plastic sheeting, I got loads from ebay (new) for £7! Did a great job too because I couldn't get in the pool on time so hubby quickly laid it out in the dining room and I gave birth there, I bled a fair bit but nothing went on the carpet. It's great for covering furniture etc too.

I had old shower curtains and some old towels and the carpet was fine x

I bought a load of shower curtains and the midwife put down those incontinence sheets. No mess anywhere :)

Plastic tarp or shower curtains and some bed mats. It can be messy, but it's usually very isolated. Like it won't just be a huge mess all around the room. It's usually just the immediate spot right under you and anywhere you might walk in the immediate aftermath until/just after the placenta is birthed that is likely to get messy.

We had several shower curtains and honestly that would have been more than enough to protect the carpet...unfortunately, I ended up walking around a lot and pushing and where I ended up was not where the shower curtains were and no one thought to go get them and put them (or anything!) under me. So our floor (gave birth onto the carpet) and bed were completely unprotected. But the mess does clean up and the stains do come out. Obviously, getting something to put under you is a good idea (get several so you can have a spare handy in case you don't birth where you think you will). Also, get a container of salt and some floor cleaner (we used Vanish). You can absorb most of it by pouring salt on the stains right after and then a good scrub with carpet cleaner if you do have any stains. You would never know I had a massive blood stain in the middle of my bedroom! Carpets are completely clean and like new again.

(Also, btw, home birth is awesome!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janebe345
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"