Cows Milk Intolerance- When did you Challenge Sensitivity?

newlywedtzh

A Mom At Last!
Reaction score
SO my LO started to have blood in her stools starting around 10 weeks old. Pediatrician said cows milk protein is the most common cause for gastric bleeding so Cut out all dairy out of my diet (or as best as I can) at 12 weeks and her poops drastically changed. I have only seen a few streaks of blood since that time (She's almost 5 months old) which is probably from when I had hidden dairy and didn't know it.

Anyway- I don't know how common this is, but I don't think it's that rare. Did anyone else go through this? I heard that they usually outgrow this allergy by 6 months? I'm really tired of having such a restricted diet! But will do it for my LO as long as I have to. Just curious about other's experiences with this.

I think out growing an allergy is a ridiculous thought unless you are giving allergy drop/shots to help the body stop rejecting the allergen.

I say this because my mom was told the same thing with me so she reintroduced milk to me. She bf, then stopped due to me having severe reflex. I was on regular formula but had to switch to soy due to same issue. She reintroduced cow milk at 1yr. I was frequently sick, always sounded congested. The older I got the more issues I had. Stomach aches, severe headache etc. then a dr suggest I go lactose free (if not dairy free). I found out when I was 24 that I am lactose intolerant. I had to go dairy free to help me conceive. So the whole out grown thing is ridiculous to me. If a child has a peanut allergy do they suggest reintroducing that? Nope. So why is milk different?
Now when I got pregnant I was able to handle dairy but not lactose. Now my LO is showing signs of also having a food sensitivity (bad eczema and reflux). So I'm going dairy free again. I think gut healing can happen and tolerating a food can get better, but that doesn't mean reintroducing it at normal amounts is a good idea.

I think out growing an allergy is a ridiculous thought unless you are giving allergy drop/shots to help the body stop rejecting the allergen.

I say this because my mom was told the same thing with me so she reintroduced milk to me. She bf, then stopped due to me having severe reflex. I was on regular formula but had to switch to soy due to same issue. She reintroduced cow milk at 1yr. I was frequently sick, always sounded congested. The older I got the more issues I had. Stomach aches, severe headache etc. then a dr suggest I go lactose free (if not dairy free). I found out when I was 24 that I am lactose intolerant. I had to go dairy free to help me conceive. So the whole out grown thing is ridiculous to me. If a child has a peanut allergy do they suggest reintroducing that? Nope. So why is milk different?
Now when I got pregnant I was able to handle dairy but not lactose. Now my LO is showing signs of also having a food sensitivity (bad eczema and reflux). So I'm going dairy free again. I think gut healing can happen and tolerating a food can get better, but that doesn't mean reintroducing it at normal amounts is a good idea.

Intolerances are different to allergies and often are outgrown. It's not a lactose intolerance, but a casein intolerance.

My son had CMPI and was also soy intolerant. I cut out all dairy and soy and reintroduced very slowly to challenge (to confirm the intolerance) after 6 weeks of being symptom-free. He outgrew the intolerance at close to a year, I think a little over? It sucks when you start out, but honestly once you get the diet down and learn and stock up on what you can eat and enjoy, it gets much easier. We're low dairy still, but he can have everything with no issues.

Thanks MommyJogger- what symptoms did ur son have? Did you try a challenge every couple of months or so?

The diet isn't terrible and I plan on doing it for as long as I have to- I was just a huge cheese eater! ha and it makes it tough to go out to eat or eat at friends houses, etc.

I don't think I challenged again after confirming it until around the year mark because that was when I thought they tended to outgrow it, but couldn't tell you anymore where I read that. And I really only challenged because I'd cut a ton of things out and then challenged them all separately. My son had bloody diapers, vomiting, and severe gastrointestinal distress. Spotty eczema. He was a different child after several weeks of soy and dairy free. Worth every bowl of passed up queso, and a distant memory now. You got this, mama.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->