Coxsackie?

N

Nerdy

My DS appears to be a dead ringer for having Coxsackie at this point; fever, excessive drooling, refusing to eat/drink, sore tongue... Sigh. I know he's going to be fine and it's all about supportive care at this point, which I'm deeply attending to. My question is about the conflicting info I've seen surrounding coxsackie and pregnancy. I know most adults are immune to it and it's generally seen as a pediatric disease, but I also have seen conflicting evidence of it causing heart problems in the fetus on the rare ocassion? Waiting for a call back from my OB to see what he thinks.

I am not sure what coxsackie is, but I didn't want to read and run. I hope you get some answers! and I hope your little one feels better soon!

Confirmed case of Coxsackie, better known as Hand, Foot, and Mouth. Coxsackie B can cause all kinds of heart problems :( but apparently the likelihood is rare and I'll just have a deeper US during my anatomy scan to measure and eyeball baby's heart. In the meantime, DS is on a liquid diet of popsicles and cold drinks to help keep him hydrated. While we were at the doctor, two other cases came in. Hooray for outbreaks of crud.

My son had it and my midwife said to not worry. Odds of it affecting the baby are slim.

Ugh, we have this going around here right now. My son had it earlier this year, so fingers crossed it's the same virus strain and he doesn't get it again. The sore tongue was really rough on him!

Along the same lines, though, my son had fifth disease (or slapped cheek) during the time of my mmc last pregnancy. I'll never know if they were related, but I'll always wonder.

Oh yes! Ive heard of that lol not nice for little ones to go through, i hope your son is better soon. With my 1st pregnancy, i worked in long day care and we had an outbreak. Everything was fine hes 6 now :)

It SUCKS! Was back in the doctor's office this AM with my son as we're basically having to syringe liquids down his throat to get him to hydrate. He won't eat at all :( His whole tongue and the entire back of his throat are COVERED in the blisters! My DH actually had this when he was 26 and in the Navy. Such a mess. Really hoping I skip this illness completely since there's so little we can take that's safe during pregnancy and I already have issues with hydration :(

Wish parents and caregivers would keep sick kids home rather than taking them to places like the public library's toddler reading classes. I have ZERO doubt that this is where Ethan picked this crud up :(

Poor kid :( I hope he starts to feel better soon. I have never had any first hand experience near this illness but I really hope you manage to skip it completely!

I caught it from daughter when I was 32 :nope: I must say it was pretty horrific. Even breathing hurt! Fortunately the really awful stage only lasts 3-4 days. Then it takes months for blisters to disappear.

My GP also reassured me adults don't get it..yeah right!

Just make sure you don't kiss him on the lips/don't use his cutlery (like to feel good temperature with your lips) - I did all of that and obviously got it. My dh was away most of the time at work so he hardly had any contact with our daughter and he didn't get it.

Fingers crossed you won get it!!!

I caught it from daughter when I was 32 :nope: I must say it was pretty horrific. Even breathing hurt! Fortunately the really awful stage only lasts 3-4 days. Then it takes months for blisters to disappear.

My GP also reassured me adults don't get it..yeah right!

Just make sure you don't kiss him on the lips/don't use his cutlery (like to feel good temperature with your lips) - I did all of that and obviously got it. My dh was away most of the time at work so he hardly had any contact with our daughter and he didn't get it.

Fingers crossed you won get it!!!

UGH my condolences!!!

Too late on not kissing him on the lips or checking cutlery temps etc etc. :( So not looking forward to this, hopefully I have an immunity to it like some people. If it happens, I'll be whining about it on here for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->