Craving Dust...

Perplexed

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
I can't understand this but I know 100% I had the same issue in 3rd tri with my daughter.

I'm craving the smell and taste of a dusty fan or dusty air conditioner. I mentioned this to a family member who actually took me seriously and wondered what I could eat/drink that could replicate whatever I'm craving.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any other abnormal cravings? Could this be some kind of nutrient deficiency?

Have you had your iron levels checked recently? I think strange cravings can often be a symptom of low iron.

Me!! I do. Its called pica and it's a sign you've got an iron deficiency.

My craving is sponge. I love to rip it up, chew it, suck on it. My mouth waters thinking about it. 😍😍 it's quite common in pregnancy. I've had it all my life even when not pregnant but it's seriously intensified since.

Thanks ladies. Come to think of it, I haven't been taking my iron tablet! Been forgetting for a long time!

hanni: sponge!! I am definitely not craving that, but interesting! My mom used to eat ice during her pregnancies. I ate ice after delivering my daughter only due to being very hot, the midwife asked if I had that craving during pregnancy, I actually didn't but I guess it's common!

My craving is sponge. I love to rip it up, chew it, suck on it. My mouth waters thinking about it. 😍😍 it's quite common in pregnancy. I've had it all my life even when not pregnant but it's seriously intensified since.

OMG! I have exactly the same thing. I'm crazy for sponge!I also craved it in my teens and during my first pregnancy, so does seem to be nutrient related. It drives my husband mad- he keeps hiding the sponges! There's bits of sponge all over the bathroom where I've been chewing on them.

I'm lol'ing to the sponge bc I'm the same way. And have been since I've been a kid! I use to chew it alllll the time but stopped in my teens. Now that I'm pregnant I'm craving it again. With my first, I craved the smell of mildew. Like a musty basement or wet towel. I'm starting to crave it again and I like to smell the inside of my washer bc it has a hint of a musty but clean smell to it. This pregnancy, cleaners has been added to my list of smell cravings but I don't allow myself to sniff those hahah My iron levels were fine last pregnancy..I am wanting to get them checked this time around since they haven't been checked yet.

I think during 3rd tri last time my iron levels did get low and it coincided with my dust craving so it makes sense! I'm guessing it is probably iron level related as I've forgotten my tablets and my levels were checked a few weeks ago!

I had the ice cube thing in first tri and it seemed to be iron-related as it went away quite quickly once I supplemented...But now I'm craving cleaning smells, especially freshly tumble dried towels with the fabric softener smell...mmmm...I walk up and down the cleaning aisles inhaling like a mad woman...

Lol jumping!!

I enjoyed the smell of the floor cleaning products a bit too much today...

With my first I craved the smell of new carpets, in the third trimester I did go I. Quite a few carpet shops! Lol. I also enjoyed the smell of petrol and bleach, probably not good for baby so didn't indulge those ones. After he was born it changed a bit and I really loved the smell of the alcohol hand sanitiser instead.

I want to eat the dust off the sides of our car so badly. I just had my iron levels checked and they were normal. I also love the smell of the garage or any type of chemical type smell. OH is a welder and I used to hate the way he smelled when he got home from work, now I love it.

My friend desperately chewed rubber bands all the time!

I love the smell of dust and feel like I'd like to eat it. Haha my iron levels are fine too

I've heard of women eating dirt, clay, cornstarch and flour. And ice.

I just learned my iron is very low and I've been craving ice badly. Slurpees / slushies more specifically. Got special otc pills today so hopefully I'll be okay :)

Iron seems to fuck with ya!

I've been breathing in the aircon in my car haha. Biggg deep breath in and even breathing big gulps from my mouth :rofl: so weird!! My iron levels are fine also. Got my results back yesterday. It smells so good lol

I've been breathing in the aircon in my car haha. Biggg deep breath in and even breathing big gulps from my mouth :rofl: so weird!! My iron levels are fine also. Got my results back yesterday. It smells so good lol

That's exactly what I was doing yesterday :rofl:

Oh my god me too I have to hold myself back in the bath sometimes!! So glad I'm not on my own x

Oh my god me too I have to hold myself back in the bath sometimes!! So glad I'm not on my own x

I got a free sponge bath support with the baby bath that I bought and ended up having to replace it because I chewed it to bits 😳
Had my little boy on Saturday and was told my iron levels were seriously low and they wanted to do a transfusion. Makes total sense now. And now here's here I don't want it at all! (maybe a tiny smell!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->