Craving non foods?

xblondiex

Reaction score
Im craving burnt match sticks, mud, raw potatoes and ice cubes :shrug: other than the ice are any of the others safe to eat? Before cooking my tatos im so tempted to just take a bite

Dont attempt to eat any but ice :) are you lacking iron? Your iron deficiency is probably causing these non food cravings

No! Please don't try it. I had the same thing but it was laundry detergent, baby powder, and chalk. I talk to my doc who suggested iron and another vitamin that included calcium an vitamin d and its gotten better. As far as I'm aware, nob of those are safe to eat. This is typically a mineral or vitamin deficiency called Pica.

Iv only got 2 months left im sure i can go without crunching on a juicy raw spud lol. Im still waiting on blood results to see if i have a deficiency. Iv been told to take vitamin D can any brand do? Also can they be taken crushed as i have trouble swallowing x

I loved eating raw potatoes but I wouldn't think about while pregnant (just in case).
I don't see why it matters about what brand/type or how you take your vitamin. I simply added the Flintstones children's chewables with iron and calcium to my other vitamins. The flinstones helped with the wanting to eat chalk and baby powder as it has the same grainy texture that I'd imagine the powder would have.
I've got two months left too! I've read that about this time is common for these deficiencies to show up as baby is beginning to take more iron and other vitamins/minerals from momma to prepare for birth!! Ww r getting close!!!

I havent took any vitamins since my 12 weeks i need to start taking some. Maybe a crunchy apple will sort my craving. Yea not long left in due 2 weeks after you in so scares but want my body back :haha:

this is a condition I've read about. except I dont remember what it indicates. you'll probably find lots of info online about it. also, talk to your doctor but do not eat anything that you wouldn't if you weren't pregnant!!!

Lol I've got a thing about chewing sponges and chomping on my toothbrush. Soapy type things are so tempting! I am anaemic so thats what I put it down to. Very bizarre! Xx

Early on I really wanted to eat laundry powder!

It's called pica. Craving things that are non-food items. Here's a short article related to it.

https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/unusual-cravings-pica/

I craved soap during my first pregnancy. Everytime I went to the store and walked past the detergent isle my mouth would water. Also ice chips. These non food cravings and ice cravings mean iron deficiency, usually. I hope the cravings go away.
I actually would lick the soap and chew ice cubes at the same time. Dangerous and strange.

Luke previous posers have said it's a condition called pica and usually indicates you have an iron deficiency.
I suffer from it even when not pregnant and love to chew sponge. I could sit in the bath for hours sucking the water out of one and spitting it back out again. I used to buy them just to sit and chew up. Love the smell of it too and the texture of it ripping. Of course I've resisted while pregnant. My mouth is drooling at the thought right now.

Such a strange thing to have! This is the first time I've ever admitted it to anyone but my partner or my mother. It definitely becomes more of an intense craving when my iron levels are low though.

I love baby powder and chalk... I don't eat them.. I satisfy the craving by scraping them and squeezing the powder.. Smelling it too.. I would love to eat it though... But so far, scraping and smelling it does the trick. I like to chew on ice also.

The sponge one has crept up on me over the last week! I spent about ten minutes chewing DD's pepper pig one the other day in the bath whilst she looked at me like a nutter and today at work (I'm a teacher) I spent all day squeezing a whiteboard sponge, I didn't think too much of it but earlier on I changed the kitchen sponges for new ones and realised I like the texture of them a bit too much! All I want to do is BITE it!!! I haven't swallowed any though. It so weird!! Xxx

The sponge one has crept up on me over the last week! I spent about ten minutes chewing DD's pepper pig one the other day in the bath whilst she looked at me like a nutter and today at work (I'm a teacher) I spent all day squeezing a whiteboard sponge, I didn't think too much of it but earlier on I changed the kitchen sponges for new ones and realised I like the texture of them a bit too much! All I want to do is BITE it!!! I haven't swallowed any though. It so weird!! Xxx

There's nothing like biting into a nice new bit of sponge and ripping it off then chewing it! 😍 aaaa I need some!!
I'm glad I'm not the only one hahaha.

There's nothing like biting into a nice new bit of sponge and ripping it off then chewing it! 😍 aaaa I need some!!
I'm glad I'm not the only one hahaha.

Lol...never heard the sponge cravings.. Lol!!

I have this but with a certain branded cleaner which has the most mouth watering smell, I just want to drink it! I keep some in the kitchen sink so I can smell the aroma around the house. I also chew flannels (especially in the bath, its getting hard to resist during the day though) and eat like a million ice poles a day lol.

As someone who doesn't have this condition, reading these posts and imagining the feeling on my teeth is making me cringe so bad. Yikes. I guess I'm thankful to have not experienced this! lol. (This comment is in no way directed negatively towards any of you by the way) I just cannot fathom wanting to do this.

As someone who doesn't have this condition, reading these posts and imagining the feeling on my teeth is making me cringe so bad. Yikes. I guess I'm thankful to have not experienced this! lol. (This comment is in no way directed negatively towards any of you by the way) I just cannot fathom wanting to do this.

It really is the craziest thing. I remember feeling so weird licking soap and eating ice together. Now I can remember the feeling in my mouth and the taste. It makes m mouth water in this pregnancy too. It didnt happen in my second tho. Im not licking soap this time. Just a watery mouth when I smell it.

Its crazy isnt it its driving me mad all i think about is crunching on a raw juicy wet potato :p or a burnt match stick if i wasnt pregnant id deffo be taking the risk lol its like i NEED them x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->