Crayons for 19 month old

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueWater

Reaction score
So I've bought my nephew these crayons https://s7ondemand6.scene7.com//is/image/MothercareASE/dw_badge_template1?&$badge2=MothercareASE%2Fdw_badge_specialoffer&$badge1size=1%2C0&$product=MothercareASE%2F135897_1&$elc_mobile_product_large$ he's 19 months.

But I'm not sure how these crayons compare to normal fat crayons.

I know if these "my first crayons" fall on laminate flooring they break, leaving the crayon useless, and his house and my house both have laminate flooring.

So what are your experiences of these crayons and normal crayons, which do you recommend?

ETA: these cost me £6 and I don't know how much he'll use them. Whereas I can pick a whole box of normal fat crayons for 80p.

My sister in law who is a teacher forbid me from buying any crayons like those. She said they are terrible for learning dexterity, fine motor skills, etc, and kids should go right to regular fat crayons first, even at young ages. So that's what we bought, and they did just fine with regular crayons.

I don't have that exact one, but I do have special toddler crayons that are shaped like little people for "easier' grip and regular large crayons. My 14 month old hates the special toddler crayons and loves the regular large crayons. She always asks to play with the regular crayons and has a much easier time using them.

We have normal crayons and my 19mo gets
On fine with them x

I have those ones you've pictured, and to be honest my 19mth old isn't keen. I got these ones, and they're used lots. We have laminate throughout, and they haven't broken yet when dropped on the floor!

They're also better quality and 'crayon' a lot better (if you know what I mean?!) I find little ones just beginning to mark make dont have 'good pressure' but these ones leave a mark with only a little pressure.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BG417HY/ref=twister_B00OW60LO8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks everyone! You all said just as I thought. I began to think that it may be hard to hold these crayons, now thinking about it, it feels quite unnatural to hold a crayon like these are designed.

I think I'll take these back, buy normal regular crayons and still manage to buy him more toys!!

We have regular washable crayons. LO uses them just fine.

I agree with the others, normal crayons are better.

We use normal crayons- but the washable variety. She's been fine with them since we got them- when she was about 14 months.

We have used normal chunky crayons from elc from the start. Rio is almost 18 months and other than occasionally eating one (lol) he does great with them x

I have those ones you've pictured, and to be honest my 19mth old isn't keen. I got these ones, and they're used lots. We have laminate throughout, and they haven't broken yet when dropped on the floor!

They're also better quality and 'crayon' a lot better (if you know what I mean?!) I find little ones just beginning to mark make dont have 'good pressure' but these ones leave a mark with only a little pressure.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BG417HY/ref=twister_B00OW60LO8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

We have those ones, too, although they look a little battered compared to those lovely, shiny new ones! Having said that, they were bought for hayden when he was 1, so have lasted 3 years and 2 toddlers and are still perfectly good. We have carpet, though, so can't vouch for how they deal with laminate.

We've used regular washables from the start. I love all things washable!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back