• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Croup!

Dory85

Reaction score
I know croup apparently gets worse at night but does anyone know how true this is? Is it actually worse or does it just seems like it is?
My youngest has croup and I'm bracing myself for an awful night tonight :-/

It can be rough at night yes. Just watch for stridor, she may need to be seen. Steam from a hot shower works amazing. Hang in there!

She has a bit of a stridor at the moment but no chest recession or tugging.
I'm returning to work after maternity leave tomorrow. What a nightmare!

Oh, my goodness! Awful timing!!! My baby had croup when he was about 6 months old, of course along with his three siblings, right? I hope your older kids are doing well!! His croup didn't get much worse at night, but if I laid him down, he would wake up and fuss. Of course, we were traveling on vacation at the time! Croup and its timing, I tell you!!!! I stayed awake and held him all night long so he could lay pretty well upright while he slept, which was interesting for me, but at least he could breathe. If I was at home, I would have just slept on the recliner with him in my arms. I'm not adverse to cosleeping, though, and I co-nap with my babies when I'm pregnant. It just wasn't working at a hotel room with the most uncomfy couch ever. :)

I hope your little one is managing okay. If you decide to stay awake like I did, I hope you at least have a good set of movies or something to watch instead of just staring and feeling bad for your baby.

DD2 had it before Christmas was absolutely awful of a night. Your GP can give her a steroid to help open her airways if it gets too bad. hopefully won't.

It got worse for us.We just popped a pillow under her mattress cover and made sure room wasn't too stuffy. Apparently cold air is the best thing.

Hope you manage a good night

A hundred times worse at night.
Steam is good.
Vicks helps
Fresh air while keeping them from getting cold
My little guy had croup repeatedly
A drive with heater on and window down at night would often be the only thing that works.
If very bad go to emergency Dr for steroids or nebuliser
Having said that hope ur lo gets better soon xx

The others pretty much covered it. Our 4 year old son got croup in November, our first time dealing with it, never had that problem with DD. There's a very bad respiratory illness going around here though and the doctor thinks that caused the croup. Anyways it was definitely worse at night for us though at it's worst it was pretty bad during the day too. He did end up having to go to the ER for the steroids and he ended up being put on puffers as well by our GP immediately after the ER visit. We found elevating his bed helped a lot. We also doused him in Vicks and before bed we would steam up the bathroom a lot and have him sit in there. Cold night air was also really helpful but such a pain haha. Hope your LO feels better soon and tonight isn't to rough :hugs:

Thank you all
As expected she did get even noisier overnight so I brought her in to our room so that I could keep an eye on her.
Since getting up and moving about she is only a little wheezy and noisy when she coughs. I'm crossing my fingers that it has reached its peak now and won't get any worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->