Crying and/or shouting when having food?

golcarlilly

Proud mum of 2
Reaction score
Myles has started to shout or cry when I try and feed him over the last week, he doesn't seem to like the purees any more (even the ones he loved) and he loves to drink water out of his sippy cup and cries when I take it away - is he just becoming independant and wanting to feed himself and should I just progress onto finger foods and/or bits of our food do you think?

TIA x

I'm having exactly the same with Katie she seems to want to eat her own food.
Yesterday instead of blending her sunday dinner I put it all out on her highchair and she picked it up and ate it she loved every bit.
I don't think I could fully blw but will do a bit of both i'm going to to start giving her what we have for dinner and keep her puree's for lunch.

I tried giving Myles what we were having for tea tonight as DH was home early so gave him some baked salmon, new potatoes, carrots and broccoli and we all sat down together but he just mushed it all up and threw it around and cried :( he wouldn't eat any of it even when we tried to feed him with it so I then mashed some of it up for him and he did eat some but not loads, I am getting so disheartened by this weaning lark!

He will always eat sweet things no problem :dohh: obviously the introducing veg purees first didn't work!!!!!

AAAAAARGH sorry just needed a mini rant!

My LO does cry sometimes when I try and feed him but I think for Sam it's just bad timing on my part as i haven't made sure he's not tired. If Sam is tired he's a right moody bum!! So I just wait and try again after he's had a nap.

Could it be that or does it seem to be specifically the food he's getting distressed at?

He does it whether he is tired or not :( I asked the hv today and she says it prob is to do with independence and to try and let him feed himself and help him too so I am going to try a combination of finger food and mashed/peices and see how we go, he had a potato waffle and beans for lunch and really enjoyed it, he fed himself the waffle cut into pieces and I gave him the beans :)

Watching with interest - Abby is exactly like this.

He did it again yesterday when DH was giving him pasta with bolognese sauce but he ate his sandwiches fine for lunch, it is either when he doesn't like it or when he wants to feed himself - independant lil monkey!

oh my goodness...just posted a new thread on this..my little freddie is clamping his mouth shut at everything at the min..he will pick his food up on his own have a little bit but then no more!!! I put it down to him getting over a cold!! Will be interesting if anyone has any ideas!

We got the shouting and clamped shut mouth to brocolli spears yesterday, gave him a redueced sugar rusk and he chomped away happily for a good 10 minutes though :dohh:

Andrew's playing up too - I actually posted in the premmie thread about it. He's not quite given up yet, but he's down to just 4 or 5 spoon-tips of puree before shouting and refusing more.

I've tried giving him food to hold/eat (BLW-style) but he's not quite there yet, not interested in holding anything except his linkyrings!

Going to try him on a pasta blend today, see if he's just got bored with the purees.

ETA - he loved the pasta blend! That means I'm going to have to make some cheese sauce to mix with the vegetable purees.

Andrew's playing up too - I actually posted in the premmie thread about it. He's not quite given up yet, but he's down to just 4 or 5 spoon-tips of puree before shouting and refusing more.

I've tried giving him food to hold/eat (BLW-style) but he's not quite there yet, not interested in holding anything except his linkyrings!

Going to try him on a pasta blend today, see if he's just got bored with the purees.

ETA - he loved the pasta blend! That means I'm going to have to make some cheese sauce to mix with the vegetable purees.

What's pasta blend? Does it have cheese?

What's pasta blend? Does it have cheese?

Sorry, that's just what I call it. We had a pasta bake at the weekend with pasta, chicken & cheese sauce; I blended some of the leftovers and froze them for babba.

I managed to get almost 4 (small) ice cubes down him today - mince, potato, cauliflower & carrot. And then a little fruit yoghurt! He was having a good day, foodwise - even drinking more EBM than usual.

Marley's I think they just go through phases where they don't want to eat by the looks of it, glad he is eating well again! Myles is definitely better since I stopped with the purees, he will let me feed him some things - porridge, fromage frais, tinned oranges and he will let me help him with other stuff too as long as he gets to hold something!!

my lo is doing this now. Sometimes I think he is too hungry but then he won't have the food or his milk, but will drink the water, I sometimes have to take him out of the highchair and calm him down, today was a complete disaster he was sick after breakfast and tea, so back to the basics tomorrow

Earl was starting to do this....we experimented today and found having a combo of food on his tray and pre-loaded spoons of puree seemed to stop him at both lunch and dinner. Don't know whether it was just fluke, but he wont do just the one method, so we have to do both lol. At times he had a fist full of food in one hand, and a loaded spoon of puree in the other! :wacko:

I gave up yesterday, Andrew just didn't want to know about the puree - shouted after one mouthful. So I decided to do a bit of BLW instead, although I had to hold the food as he's not quite there yet (4m corrected). Banana was okay, grape was an interesting new concept, and as for the rusk, well he grabbed that from my hand and held it while he gummed it! So I think a combination of puree snuck in around BLW is going to be the way to go here too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->