cuddling to sleep?

xxleannexx

Mom to a girl and boy
Reaction score
hi girls i was just wondering when you feed/fed your babies in the night (im bottle feeding) did you let you little one fall asleep in your arms before you put them down or did you put them down straight away? even though summer isnt even 3 weeks old she is fine if i let her fall asleep in my arms then out her down without waking her but if i put her down straight away when she isnt asleep it takes up to an hour of her lying there whinging etc before she finally goes off! shall i persist and just keep putting her down straight away or do you think its ok to cuddle them to sleep at this age, if so will it cause problems later on.

sorry if it sounds like im making an issue out something really small but im starting to dread the nights as its such a pain to get her back off to sleep :blush:

I put Oscar straight back down after winding. Most the time he goes straight off but sometimes he does what I call "squeak and pop" but it's just a burp brewing :lol:
I think its best to start as you mean to go on :D

Anna won't go to sleep if I put her down and she's awake... I find it much easier to cuddle her till she falls off (she's usually asleep by the time she has finished feeding anyway) - otherwise we both spend the whole night awake! I'd rather not keep hubby awake with her screaming to be picked up - much easier to cuddle her off to snoozleland - but whatever is best for you really... if you want to snuggle her until she's asleep there's certainly nothing wrong with it - I envy you girls who's bubbas self-settle!! Mine would scream for hours if I put her down and I can't stand the sound of her crying for one minute!!

yeah I have been very lucky. I think if he was crying I would pick him up TBH

I find the sound piercing on my ears, and it breaks my heart, too!

I do too Tasha! ive always cuddled Mase to sleep and hes 7 months now and just getting out of it, so for the time being i wouldnt be worried as most (but not all) babies grow out of it.. Mase is in bed by 8pm now so i dont mind doing 15 minutes cuddling as i have the whole night to myself lol.. xxx

We have been having trouble getting Erica into her own bed for more than an hour or two a night! After she eats she is more awake, and we snuggle and rock her for a while. If she falls asleep we try putting her in her bed but she usually wakes up within mins. Then shes back in our bed. Only if she is in a very deep sleep can we get her in her bed for a little while. But we always snuggle her when we put her to bed.

The sound of my daughter crying breaks my heart. She is still quite young. Remember she spent 9 months being held and it may take 9 months for to fall asleep without cuddles. Enjoy it while she is young. :)

I got her to fall asleep after one feed last nite night on her own in her moses basket but after her one this morning she wasnt having any of it lol and even when i cuddled her to sleep as soon as i put her down she woke up again so ended up lying next to me in my bed haha. so last nite wasnt too successful!

Aww well - well done on getting her down the one time, and as for the times when she wants snuggles? Write it off as enjoying it while she's young - you know there may come a time when she won't want to snuggle with her mommy.....

Oliver wouldnt go down for the night or after night feeds if i put him straight in his moses basket when he was newborn. I had to cuddle him in my arms for up to an hour sometimes then put him down when he was in a deep sleep. I think this is ok when they're this young because they need the extra security, makes them feel safe when they know you're there (plus, i enjoyed it, makes me sad to think i wont get these cuddles forever!)

Anyway by about 3months Oliver was fine to settle by himself. Between 7 and 8pm we can pop him upstairs an he will settle by himself and the same goes if he wakes for a night feed. x

Aww well - well done on getting her down the one time, and as for the times when she wants snuggles? Write it off as enjoying it while she's young - you know there may come a time when she won't want to snuggle with her mommy.....

I feel that way. I love spending time cuddling with Colton, and cannot wait until he comes up and cuddles with me.
Although, I wish I hadn't cuddled him so much, he doesn't sleep on his own at all. He wakes within minutes. Even cosleeping, he has to be held until he is in a deep sleep before I can lay him next to me.
I'm kinda nervous about it, because he sleeps at the end of the bed (my OH would squish him during the night!!!), and when he starts moving/rolling he wont be able to sleep there. Plus, he sleeps sounder and for longer when he is in bed with me. And if he starts to wiggle/wake, I can wrap my arm around him/he will open his eyes and see me, and that comforts him enough for him to fall right back to sleep.

thanks for all your replies, sometimes i can put her wide awake and she will go off by herself but sometimes she needs to be in a really deep sleep so i think i will make the most of her going off by herself sometimes and also cuddling her when she needs it!

thanks for all your replies, sometimes i can put her wide awake and she will go off by herself but sometimes she needs to be in a really deep sleep so i think i will make the most of her going off by herself sometimes and also cuddling her when she needs it!

Hey sounds like you have the best of both worlds :D Go with it - don't worry about what you "should" do - she's your baby and if it feels right, it most probably is! :)

I really wish I would have put Noah down right from the start. Now Im paying for it big time. He will not goto sleep unless I hold him till he is sound asleep, and some nights I have to sleep with him on my chest all night. Yes its nice to cuddle but the older they get the less they sleep, and then it becomes an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->