Cutting boys hair at home?

Laucu

Reaction score
My son is going to be three next month and has lots of thick straight hair. Every time we've taken him to get his hair cut (probably between 5 and 10 times so far) he has hated it - and gone absolutely nuts. Screaming and crying, he literally has to be restrained by my husband so that the poor hairdresser can do their job.

I am wondering if it will be easier to just buy a clipper set and do it at home.

Does anyone do their own kids hair? How likely is it that I can mess up a clipper cut?

I do my sons with clippers for the exact same reason, he used to have a meltdown at the barbers, I can't say he particularly enjoys mummy doing it at home either but he gets the choice and he chooses me. You really can't go wrong aslong as he lets you finish. I've a little girl now too and I wouldn't dream of ever doing anything to her hair I wouldn't know where to start but clippers are fine!

My husband does our boys hairs. Well, he does Earl's. Edward still hasn't had a hair cut as he has proper ringlets and hasn't needed one yet lol. He's done Earl's since he was 1 though and Charlie had his first haircut a couple of months ago too.

We bought scissors and a comb from Boots. They cost the same as 1 haircut. Earl has his hair cut 2/3 times a year depending on how long it gets, weather etc, so it's more than paid for itself. Hubby is very good at it, but even I've had a bash at it and it's come out ok. I would be careful with clippers just because none of mine have like them (hubby has some for his beard) and Earl was frightened of them for a long time. Having said that, if you went at it slowly you could probably get him used to them after a few uses.

But in short....yes...we do it ourselves and it's fine lol

Thanks for the replies. Yes I know he especially gates clippers because of the noise but he goes mental even with scissors and comb!! I think I may invest in a grooming set. He really does need his hair cut every two months, but it gets left longer because it's so stressful.

Success! I bought clippers this morning and did his hair. He went mad but not as much as he would have at the hairdressers. Money well spent!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 19
I started my sun on clippers at home.. He would go nuts, but after a few times he calmed down.

I didn't trust scissors because he thrashed around so much.. at least clippers wouldn't do any real damage (physically) if he zigged when I was expecting him to zag.

After he calmed down, I took him to a barber. He got to pick his hair cut (clipper 1 or clipper 2) and I sat in the chair beside him getting my hair done. Now it is "our thing", so the girls can't come. He really likes it now and asks me when we're going to be going weeks before we are due.

My eldest is very good at having his hair cut but I'm considering doing it myself because it's blooming expensive having to get it done every few weeks, he has very straight hair so when it grows it doesn't look cute it just looks a mess lol, haven't a clue where to start though lol.

The clippers were definitely a good investment. I gave his hair another tidy up this morning. Number 6 on top, number 2 on back and sides and a number 4 to blend the two. Not a perfect job but I suspect it will be easier when he sits still and realises I am not trying to chop his head off!!

CLippers at home are the way to go for boys' hair!

I cut both my boys hair with scissors and Oscar has just had his first cut with clippers at the hairdressers which didnt go well. I will be using clippers from now on and scissors on too but will have to stay home, not worth the agro going to the hairdressers

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->