Dairy intolerance?

Rachel320

Reaction score
Hi all,
My 4 month old is (and always has been) a terrible sleeper. She wakes constantly through the night, usually crying, and from 4am onwards it's a lost cause. During the day she will only nap in the carrier.

I've started wondering recently if her very disturbed sleep and frequent night wakenings have a cause and was concerned about dairy (she is breastfed but I eat dairy).

Anyone got any experience of this and what types of symptoms? I heard babies usually get blood in nappy with this with DD doesn't but just wanted other opinions...

He never had an actual intolerance, but my first son got pretty upset from dairy. Anytime I ate it while breastfeeding he got very bad gas, lots of crying, tight bloated belly, quite a bit of mucous in his poop.

He never had an actual intolerance, but my first son got pretty upset from dairy. Anytime I ate it while breastfeeding he got very bad gas, lots of crying, tight bloated belly, quite a bit of mucous in his poop.

Thanks for your reply. Did you stop eating dairy while breastfeeding or cut down on dairy?

Thanks for your reply. Did you stop eating dairy while breastfeeding or cut down on dairy?

I tried to cut down as much as I could and it helped a lot.

Hi
I don't breastfeed but DD2 has CMPA which is cows milk protein allergy . She was not diagnosed until a few weeks after weaning.

From birth she had reflux a rash on her face and struggled with feeds . GP just dagnoised reflux and gave medicine and we were advised to change formula which we did .
When we weaned it just got worse her main symptoms are gastro . We eventually after many GP visits got a Gp who diagnosed her correctly and sent us to the peads and dietician !

DD2 didn't have any blood in her stools they were just very mucusy !

If you feel something's not right cut diary out of your diet i think it can take upto here months for diary to leave your system (I may be wrong about his but my gp advised three months between any exposure to milk)
Maybe go to your GP and see what they say .

Good luck

Sounds like the dreaded 4 month sleep regression to me, it was pure hell with my daughter! Have you read/looked into the Wonder Weeks at all?

My DD developed a serious intolerance to dairy after being on strong IV antibiotics at 9 weeks. She was constantly sick, had green, watery poos with blood in them, stopped gaining weight and was utterly miserable with it. Thankfully she's now outgrown it as I stopped eating all dairy and her gut slowly recovered. We are still breastfeeding and she tolerates all dairy no problem now.

What is she like when she is awake? My son is on a prescription formula as GP suspects a dairy intolerance. He is a rubbish sleeper, but has improved being on this new formula. During the day he was permanently grumpy. He also had eczema on his body and face (which was really bright red) but that's cleared up now he's on the new formula.

His poos used to be pretty nasty. Never any blood though. He always used to rub at his face as well - we thought maybe he had hayfever as it was summer and we were all feeling a bit hayfeverish, but that is also a sign of dairy intolerance. Again, since being on the formula he's stopped rubbing at his face and eyes.

When you say she only sleeps in the carrier, do you mean like a sling? It might be that at night she just wants to be with you. We co slept with both of ours - with DS1 it was great and we all got a good night's sleep (ish!) and now he's a fab sleeper. However DS2 is only marginally better in our bed *sigh* He's incredibly restless and cries out a lot. We mainly have him in with us just so that he doesn't disturb his brother too much :/ I'm not sure if he is also having indigestion issues, as that can also be a problem with dairy intolerance.

DS3 has been on Goat formula since he was 3 months old. We'd had issues with screaming due to a sore tummy, gooey poop, terrible sleeping, power chucking, over spilling, random rashes etc. We tried several different cow formulas thinking it might be the brand before we tried lactose free and soy. Nothing stayed down and soy he refused to take. Tried goat and he's been happy since. Dr isn't too sure if it's a dairy intolerance or a cow milk allergy as he's all over the place. He can do small amounts of yoghurt, chocolate and products that may contain diary traces without too much issue but ice-cream and cheese we are very, very careful about. I did think about going dairy free myself but the doctor felt that long-term it wasn't fair for me or baby. We also wonder if it could be the pasteurization process that upsets him but have decided we will keep him on Goat until he's old enough to make his own choice. But DS1 has always had a dairy intolerance and can't have a lot anyhow - until recently as he's been bringing it all up so it's back to soy for him until everything calms down again. DS1 ends up with vomiting, diarrhea and a sore tummy when his is at it's worse and it's only every milk, cheese, ice-cream, yoghurt that affects him. By product seems to be okay as well as cheese flavourings and other foods produced in factories that also process dairy.

Also remember that no 2 children with Cow's Milk Allergy or an intolerance are the same as there are so many different symptoms that related to these issues. But if I remember correctly, it's important to remember that many children out-grow intolerance issues. An allergy is generally a life long condition - or is that the other way around?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->