Day two of my holiday and I've just been struck with food poisoning - advice?

bumpy_j

Reaction score
Hi guys, I arrived here (all-inclusive resort managed by first choice) early yesterday morning and had both lunch and dinner at the self service main canteen. Food was great admittedly, but mostly uncovered and un-refrigerated. Now I'm in bed with pretty bad symptoms of food poisoning (use your imagination lol), including some of the most painful cramps I've ever experienced. I'm not sure what my next step should be? Should I go find the manager? Do they have medical teams at these places?

I feel weird asking here because it's probably common sense, but everyone has gone to the beach without me and wont be back for a few hours yet. Not sure what the protocol of these sort of thing is as I've never really done a resort holiday. This really sucks :(

Do you think you need a doctor? If you do ring reception. If not keep drinking bottled water slowly and eat very plain food. I would get your oh to speak to the rep so they are aware. And I would avoid eating the food. Hope your better soon.

I think I'm going to have to go down and speak to them (can't phone them as I don't know the number), although OH reckons not a lot can be done. I don't mind the sickness so much (although it's not ideal) it's just the cramps are soooo painful. Thanks for the advice!

I feel for you. My OH and I were once both struck down with food poisoning on day 2 of our holiday. It was miserable :( I would definitely let the staff know in case there is some problem with the food, or maybe a nasty virus going around. They might need to do something about it. Did you eat the same as the rest of your party?

Nah, I ate way more salad-y bits than the rest. Thank you :)

Do speak to the staff so they're aware. But in the mean time lots of bottled water, rest and dry toast. Hope you feel better soon and can enjoy your hols!

No advice on the sickness I'm afraid I really hope it passes soon for you. But I would definitely send your hubby out to find someone to complain to, firstly to clean up their act for other people and to get compensated in some way!!

If you're with first choice I'd speak to the rep definitely and the hotel management - may need to be another member of your party as I guess you need to be within the vicinity of a toilet....

Poor you - really hope you feel much better soon xx

I would definitely let the hotel staff know, as they need to be aware that the food could be the cause of your illness, and obviously its not good for them either if guests are getting sick off it.

I'd avoid salads, fruits, anything that may have been rinsed in the local water. Stick to cooked items. Sometimes its just not being used to the local water that can make you much more susceptible to food poisoning, although I'm not sure how the water is wherever you are vacationing.

I had a friend end up getting hospitalized on vacation in the Bahamas from food poisoning, so definitely don't ignore too long or let it get too out of hand. Get medical help if you need it! Sorry you are sick on vacation:( That's got to be miserable:(

I would definitely let the hotel staff know, as they need to be aware that the food could be the cause of your illness, and obviously its not good for them either if guests are getting sick off it.

I'd avoid salads, fruits, anything that may have been rinsed in the local water. Stick to cooked items. Sometimes its just not being used to the local water that can make you much more susceptible to food poisoning, although I'm not sure how the water is wherever you are vacationing.

I had a friend end up getting hospitalized on vacation in the Bahamas from food poisoning, so definitely don't ignore too long or let it get too out of hand. Get medical help if you need it! Sorry you are sick on vacation:( That's got to be miserable:(

The tap water isn't drinkable, I didn't even think about what they may be washing the salad in :( I feel a lot better now that I've had some Imodium, and even managed a plate of food (just pasta and potatoes, but still) however OH seems to have come down a little with it too, and LO had some mucus in his poo which worried me a bit (he otherwise seems okay, so it could be unrelated). Think we're all going to go to the reps together in the morning :) thanks everyone.

Well, that likely explains it then:( Most likely it was salads/fruits washed in the water, and locals are used to it, so it doesn't make them ill the way it does tourists. I'd just keep taking the Imodium until you are feeling better, and stick to only cooked items the rest of the trip, and bottled water. I'd even ask them to bring bottled water with the cap on. Sadly, I've heard some horror stories of places filling bottles with tap water, and serving them without the cap, so the guest has no idea its not really bottled water, and then gets sick from the water.

I feel for you!
This has happened to me many a time abroad.
The only time it didn't was our last holiday when we went 5 star.

I agree with staying away from salads and fresh fruits
Don't have ice in drinks
Brush your teeth with bottled water.

I would still speak to the rep because they can talk with management about these issues (food should definitely be refrigerated even when in buffet style unless it's cooked food)

hope you continue to feel better x

How are you feeling now? Hope you're a bit better that really sucks :(

Feeling a lot better now, thanks. Just finished all my work for college out here, so can finally start to enjoy myself woo woo :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->