Dealing with a competitive mother at school :(

LaDY

Mummy Of Two xx
Reaction score
My LO started reception in September. Iv met some lovely people however there is one particular lady I have made good friends with, we'll at least I thought I had! She has appeared to have become very competitive with me over the months, for example with the kids, comparing our houses, cars and even finances. On a few occasions she has said some really hurtful things (indirectly and maybe itch out realising) how do I deal with this? What would you do? It does upset me as I would ave loved to make a friend :(

Any experiences of this? Xx

Ughhh, so sorry you're dealing with this. And so sorry, you thought she was your friend.
I had being in your shoes, and honestly, I just "cut" with this kind of people.
Sorry, she's just not your friend. Friends don't act like that. Move on with her.

I would say something straight out tbh

Thereis no need for it, and I am assuming she is making comparisons to make herself look and feel better about her life, she is lacking something deffo

But yeah, if you do want to stay friends next time she try's it just say something

You get people like this all the time- unfortunatly its another downside for me for sending Harry to prep as 99.9% of the mothers there are like this.

Nobody will talk to me when I pick him up (which is rare) because I work for a living. Pathetic? Doesn't even cover it.

I am NOT bashing SAHMs here- but these are the plastic fingernails, hair extensions, still dressing in tarty clothes type Mums- I would much, much rather work for a living then end up like that.

We have one like that at our school! What is up with some people?!
No-one likes her really as she's a gossip too so we tend to just keep it at "Hello" with her and don't really involve her much as it's so draining talking to her- my friend got a new car and we then had to sit through her going on about how she was getting a new car blah blah blah and her's will be custom made and all this other rubbish :dohh: she's so full of it. I think she's very unhappy with her life so does it to make herself feel better :(

Have you said anything to her? Have you got other friends at the school having the same problem? X

It's that keeping up with the Joneses mentality- so silly! Who cares if someone else has better or bigger- if we spend our lives worrying about what others have, then we miss out on what WE have. It's pointless really- but some people do compare and have a hard time distinquishing their own self worth without comparing it to others. Kinda sad.

Honestly, I would distance myself-- unless you think just being upfront with her would matter? If not- then it's not worth being around someone like that. I lost a good friend of many years after we both had families - in part because it was more important for people to see her as she wanted them to see her instead of how she really was. After a while, the comments and silliness was just too much... maybe I should have said something sooner? IDK. But our lives just took different directions. And this was someone I'd known for over 10yrs and thought was a life time friend. I would not put up with a new person in my life like that now. Sorry. It sucks. But you'll find a better friend out there I'm sure :)

I will talk to other parents in the playground but I wouldn't be talking to any of them in depth about anything. I just feel already like quite a lot of them are judgmental.

It's sad as, like you, I'd really wanted to make friends with another school mum.

I say avoid them as much as you can, usually the competitive people make themselves look worse than they actually are. You're better than that, since you came here to ask for advice how to deal with this. She may come across mean, but show out you're happy with your life and how far have you come. Nothing can beat that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->