Dentist- what should I be feeling after deep filling?

soozys1902

MUM OF 1
Reaction score
Hey everyone
I haven't been here in a long time, I hope all is well with everyone.

So I'll start by saying in febuary I went to the dentist and she told me I needed my first two fillings. One was a spot filling on the left top molar and a filling on the bottom right molar, she told me this one was not going to be deep.

Two weeks later I started waking up with a light sharp pain in my bottom right molar, this would only happen once I had bitten down but would not return after that. This went on for a couple of weeks but gradually went away.

I then went on holiday at the end of march for a week and had bitten into something hard and it was a sharp pain and I could not eat on it at all, but it did gradually get better but only with soft food. I went back to the dentist and she shaved it down for me and told me to come back in two weeks if it did not get any better. It did get a bit better but it was still slightly sore, so three days ago she removed the White filling and told me my filling was deep after all and when she took the White filling out he said thee was a slight crack in the tooth and she then refilled it with another White filling after she said she didn't know how it was going to turn out and if it didn't get better I would have to get a root canal done, this I'm freaking out over, as I know I had good teeth and now I have to face the fact I will lose it at some point. Something I thought was going to be straight forward has turned into a nightmare.

On to the next bit, after the numbing wore of I did have intense pain if I pushed on the tooth but would only last for about 1 minute and happened twice and if I rubbed my Tongue on it I shocked me but by the end of that night it went away. The next day I only had a slight pain that was only noticeable if I really thought about it, today I am the same but with a bit of tenderness when biting down but it's not really painful just tender, is this normal?

That everyone for reading in advance

Hi,
whatever you said you are experiencing right now is quite normal so don't worry. I went to the dentist for the first time in years when I was pregnant with my twins and she told me that my right bottom molar needs a bit of filling, she said its just a small corner and would take only a dew min, I was too scared and refused it by saying I will have it done after the birth of my twins.
When my twins turned one year this march I suddenly felt that i should consult her although i never had any pains in that whatsoever.
She done two filling upper right molar and the bottom one, and to my surprise she did a deep filling on the upper molar and said the same thing as you mentioned that if it doesn't work than she would give me root canal.... well, i did experience all the stuff you said, in fact I actually couldn't eat anything from that side in weeks. Discomfort remained there for weeks and i double checked with my dentist and she said that the filling is adjusting itself... give it sometime.
I'd say if it's not hurting and you are not having pain or swelling than rather leave it to adjust itself. The only difference was that she did mine with black filling ... hate to c when brushing, do you the difference between the white and the black filling????????????
Just don't worry and leave it for a few days, distraction will defiantly help:hugs: good luck:thumbup:

Thanks so much for getting back. I went ot another dentist on monday for a second opinion, he's had many years experience and is a teacher at the school of dentistry. He told me that he thinks its a becuase of my wisdom teeth and it could be causing a problem, also my bite was a bit off and he shaved it down for me. Still sore but not as bad, still can eat properly on it tho. Have another appointment on monday.

I told him all about what my other dentist told me about the root canal (my mum was with me) and mum said he looked at her and rolled his eyes as if to say what a load of bull. He's going to do everything possible before he even considers it.

thanks again sue

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->