DH and I agree on a name but ....

cskme_

Reaction score
So first off, DH hasn't agreed on ANY names that I have given him to choose from. I gave him a list with about 30-40 names (not all of which I liked) just to see what kind of names he likes. Turns out we both like the name Shayla.
Our girl would be named Shayla Christine if we decided upon this.
First of all, what does everyone think of this name?
And secondly, the problem that I'm having is that one of my best friends is with this guy that I absolutely despise, for good reasons, and his daughters name is Shayla, so she's kind of like a step-mom to a girl named Shayla and when I brought up the name to her she was kind of weird about it. (she wouldn't care if I named her that, she's not that type of person). But I would almost feel weird telling her that our final decision is the same as her step-daughters name. Our dogs also have the same name, her dog was named Blue and I totally copied it because it was the only name DH liked for our dog. Anyways what does everyone think of this situation?
(another name he likes is Aiyana. but I'm not 100% sold on that one)

I'm sorry but I think copying her dog's name and then using the same name her step daughter has is a tad weird. I'm assuming you're not doing it to copy her but if you're going to continue being friends with her, it's just a little too off for me. But I have to admit that Shayla really isn't my cup of tea either, so I might be biased. I definitely prefer Aiyana and think it would avoid issues with your friend.

I'm sorry but I think copying her dog's name and then using the same name her step daughter has is a tad weird. I'm assuming you're not doing it to copy her but if you're going to continue being friends with her, it's just a little too off for me. But I have to admit that Shayla really isn't my cup of tea either, so I might be biased. I definitely prefer Aiyana and think it would avoid issues with your friend.

The thing is it's not really her step-daughter, and she's barely even with the guy anymore (just didn't want to explain all of that right away lol) and I have also never met his daughter before, nor has anyone else, she barely lives with him and she is 18 years old. My friend and I no longer live in the same province, we are across the country from one another. Also it's not a name that I chose, it was on a list from the internet and it was the only one he picked out that he liked. The only reason it doesn't seem weird to me is because I have absolutely no connections with this other Shayla girl, other than my friend sees her around her house once in a blue moon. Does that change your opinion at all? I don't want to be weird naming her the same thing but under all these circumstances I feel its a bit different. I haven't even seen my friend in 3-4 years.

I generally agree with Amygdala. Between Shayla and Aiyana, I like Aiyana better. I think it sounds stronger. Maybe your DH would be willing to make his own list for you to check out, to give you some more options? At the end of the day, what works for YOUR family is most important.

I generally agree with Amygdala. Between Shayla and Aiyana, I like Aiyana better. I think it sounds stronger. Maybe your DH would be willing to make his own list for you to check out, to give you some more options? At the end of the day, what works for YOUR family is most important.

Yeah I'm trying to get him to make his own list. He's not a real computer person, I've asked him a few times to look up names since he cant think of any but he honestly wont even take the time out of his day :nope: Oh well we will figure it out I guess.

Agree, it would be a tad weird, even though there is no genuine intention of "copying" anything anyway!

I prefer aiyana to shayla anyway x

I don't think it would be weird when you barely see the friend, haven't met the daughter & probably won't. By the time your child is 1, the other girl will probably be forgotten.

I don't know either name so am neutral.

I don't think it would be weird when you barely see the friend, haven't met the daughter & probably won't. By the time your child is 1, the other girl will probably be forgotten.

I don't know either name so am neutral.

I mentioned it to her and she said if we think it's a nice name then who cares. She barely even sees his daughter either and their relationship isn't going so well anyways so I don't want to throw a name out the window because of someone she may have any contact with in the next little while anyways. She said she understands why I would feel weird but it's not a big deal to her.

I thought it was very weird in your first post but once explained then I dont think its to bad at all, I also assumed that it was a young girl who was going to be around for years to come :flower:

As for the choice I prefer Shayla :flower:

I thought it was very weird in your first post but once explained then I dont think its to bad at all, I also assumed that it was a young girl who was going to be around for years to come :flower:

As for the choice I prefer Shayla :flower:

Lol yeah sorry I probably should have further explained. My friend doesn't live in the same province as me, her boyfriend or whatever they are never get along and she's somewhat moved out of his house only sticking around because they have also have a baby together. His daughter shayla was with another woman and shayla lives with her mom and is 18 and rarely ever at her dads. I only just felt weird because of us having the same dog name and now this would be another name she is all too familiar with lol.

It really depends what you're looking for in a name. I was trying to find an Irish, Celtic, or Gaelic inspired girl's name that wouldn't be constantly mispronounced in the US, and one of the names I initially liked was Shaylee--until I considered that it was just like Kaylee and then it sounded too made up to me, which I really disliked( I like heritage names, not those that are considered "created", but that's just me!). Shayla is similar to Kayla or Layla, so if you're good with that, and something else to consider is that it will likely be shortened to nickname, "Shay". If you don't like that, that's something to also consider. We just had a friend name her baby boy Harrison, and she's constantly unhappy about people calling him "Harry" :( As for the rest, you can't possibly be expected to not use a name solely based on knowing someone with the same name---think about how many people in this world we all know, that would eliminate like every name for most of us!!! Name taste is so much of an opinion, like your favorite color or choice in music, so what's ultimately important is that both parents agree and are happy with it :)

It really depends what you're looking for in a name. I was trying to find an Irish, Celtic, or Gaelic inspired girl's name that wouldn't be constantly mispronounced in the US, and one of the names I initially liked was Shaylee--until I considered that it was just like Kaylee and then it sounded too made up to me, which I really disliked( I like heritage names, not those that are considered "created", but that's just me!). Shayla is similar to Kayla or Layla, so if you're good with that, and something else to consider is that it will likely be shortened to nickname, "Shay". If you don't like that, that's something to also consider. We just had a friend name her baby boy Harrison, and she's constantly unhappy about people calling him "Harry" :( As for the rest, you can't possibly be expected to not use a name solely based on knowing someone with the same name---think about how many people in this world we all know, that would eliminate like every name for most of us!!! Name taste is so much of an opinion, like your favorite color or choice in music, so what's ultimately important is that both parents agree and are happy with it :)

Thank you!! DH really likes the name, I explained to him how my friends boyfriends daughter is named shayla and basically just laughed and said "you don't even know her though?" We have chosen the name Shayla Christine, and I like the nickname Shay. DH keeps accidentally pronouncing her name as "Shyla" but I'm sure he will learn sooner than later how to say it lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->