DH SAYS he's support of natural birth...

Radkat

Reaction score
But last night he asked me if that meant I wasn't getting an epidural. Ummm, yeah. He asked if I was sure I wanted to do that, etc, etc. He said he's just worried for me and going through a lot of pain. Which, in essence, is really sweet, but it kinda felt like he thought I couldn't do it or was silly for trying. As you can see from my ticker, I'm 34 weeks. I have the Hypnobirthing book, but can't really do any classes due to having a 2 yo and child care issues. Background, I had my DD with an epidural and didn't really explore natural too much with my first pregnancy.

Any thoughts of how to help DH get on board?

He sounds like my mom! I had an epidural with my son. I actually hadn't planned on getting one with him either, but the pitocin just made my contractions completely unbearable. I wasn't induced, but they augmented my labor with pitocin a few hours after my water had broken and my labor wasn't picking up on its own.
This time, I plan to avoid all of that. I don't want any pitocin and I don't ant any epidural. My husband doesn't really care, but does worry if I can handle it because even with my epidural last time, I was in a lot of pain while pushing. My mom keeps telling me that they don't hand out medals for giving birth without an epidural and it's okay to get one.
But I really feel labor will be easier without one. I feel it will be easier to push this baby out. I am set on not getting one. I don't know how to get other people on board, but I just personally have resolved I am going to do what I want regardless of what everyone else thinks.

I think it's hard for men to see their wives in pain becuase they always feel like they should be able to fix problems and obviously they can't fix this. I would just let him know that the best way he can be helpful is to support you and prepare him that you will be in a lot of pain but with his support you can handle it.

I know it isn't always the case, but I do think that often second births are much easier anyway. I had an epidural with my DD, she was back to back and I had failure to progress (three days of contractions to get to 4cm). I mainly ended up with the epidural because I just had no more energy left but I do think it slowed things down even more and I think I wasn't all that far from having to have a C section if she hadn't come out when she did!
With my DS it was just a different story. 6 hour labour from first contraction to birth, I had him in the birthing pool with no pain relief whatsoever. The labour was just so much quicker and easier, I was quite prepared to have another epidural with him as well after my experience first time around but it just didn't come into the equation.

I don't see what the big deal is about getting epidural. To me natural means vaginal with or without epidural... I don't like pain, so I will have no problem opting in for it if I need it. lol

I don't see what the big deal is about getting epidural. To me natural means vaginal with or without epidural... I don't like pain, so I will have no problem opting in for it if I need it. lol

To me that is simply vaginal, natural means with no artificial means of pain control.

As a PP has said, men really hate seeing a problem they can't fix. Most men love to fix problems (that is why when you unload all your unfixable problems on them, just to "vent", it stresses them out because they want to fix it). DH seems to think my labor was way harder on him than it was on me, and since I don't remember it being that difficult (tiring, but not that difficult), I almost have to agree. Of course, mind ended with an EMCS, that part was way harder on me.

Of course, until very recently, he thought I was in so much pain I was delirious the first night because apparently I was talking crazy....I suppose he didn't realize the nurse gave me an ambien that night...I was sleeping with mild period like cramps....but apparently I was saying tons of crazy stuff I don't recall. Ambien does that you know!

Epidurals increase the risk for further intervention and have real associated risks. We also don't know how much pain infants might feel during childbirth, but any relief they might get would come from the rush of endorphines the mother produces in response to the pain. If you take away mom's pain with epidurals, it's possible you're also taking away the infant's form of pain relief.
It's not that "hey dude, I really want this to hurt like hell", it's that we believe epidural-free labor is the safest choice and the gentlest entry possible for the baby.

OP: I told my husband it was important to me and gave him my list of reasons why, which he was instructed to throw back in my face if I needed inspiration during labor. Often, men will get on board when provided with succinct logical reasons, but it definitely helped that my DH witnessed how crappy my first medicalized birth was. It sounds like you two haven't taken much time to go over your general birth preferences, but really he could be your most important ally when you can't easily speak for yourself. I'd get him on board by giving him the job of keeping everyone on the track you'd like to follow.

To me that is simply vaginal, natural means with no artificial means of pain control.

As a PP has said, men really hate seeing a problem they can't fix. Most men love to fix problems (that is why when you unload all your unfixable problems on them, just to "vent", it stresses them out because they want to fix it). DH seems to think my labor was way harder on him than it was on me, and since I don't remember it being that difficult (tiring, but not that difficult), I almost have to agree. Of course, mind ended with an EMCS, that part was way harder on me.

I know what you mean.... A lot of women feel that way.. I had a emergency c-section with my first too after 24 hours of labor and agree that the c-section was worse that the actual labor. I didn't even get epidural until wayyyyy into my labor... Like over 12 hours. All I was saying is i don't see what is wrong with getting it if you need it. It's sweet that DH is concerned. I know mine gets stressed out when he feels he can't help either.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

DH is definitely a fixer type of guy who doesn't like to see me in pain. I definitely need to go over my reasons for natural with him (I have, but you know, again. Is my DH the only one like that? :haha:) and have him read the most important parts of the book, which he already has read some.

Any other responses welcome.

My DH was so extremely supportive during my labor with our dd. I told him I wanted an unmedicated natural birth and it was his job to tell me no if I asked for drugs. He only left my side long enough to use the rest room and kept telling me I could do it. I don't think I could've done it naturally without him!

My only advice is to maybe give your DH certain jobs to help him feel more in control. And just try to explain to him your reasoning for a natural birth. Good luck!

I think the best thing you can do is find ways to make him an active helper. Practice pain relief techniques (massage, etc) that he can help with. Give him some resources to look into. I know my DH was really interested in the idea of making the delivery room feel safe for me to prevent labor stalling, maybe he can take on that kind of problem. Make sure he knows your preferences and has them written so he can be your advocate, and stress how important it is that you have an advocate. Watching your wife in pain is difficult, especially when there's nothing he can do about it, so give him something to do about it.

Thanks again for the responses. I think giving him a job is a good idea. We talked last night. I gave him some parts of the book to read, physiological changes in labor, how the relaxation/breathing helps and discussed how I would need him to help me if I was having trouble staying focused. He was OK with everything. He's like me and needs to gather information before he can get on board with something, so I think it'll help if he reads up on it. :thumbup:

I think you should keep your options open to be honest. I would be happy to be asked if I was 'sure'. I had to have an epidural last time as I ended up with induction and syntocinon drip and was told I'd have to have the epidural but I could still feel the pain by the time it got to the bitter end! I had a hypnobirthing book and this time I'd like to avoid the epidural (unless I have to have horrid induction again) but I am not at all suggestible and I don't think any of the hypnobirthing techniques will work for me - tried in labour last time to tell myself the pain was healthy when the epi wasn't working properly and all I could think was 'it really hurts'!

It's totally fine to keep an option off the table for yourself if doing so will help you stick with your resolution. I didn't give myself the option to transfer or to get any pain relief with my first, and I think it really helped -- it honestly never crossed my mind during labour that I needed anything. I did HypnoBirthing as well, and you really have to work at it and practice often for it to be effective.

It's totally fine to keep an option off the table for yourself if doing so will help you stick with your resolution. I didn't give myself the option to transfer or to get any pain relief with my first, and I think it really helped -- it honestly never crossed my mind during labour that I needed anything. I did HypnoBirthing as well, and you really have to work at it and practice often for it to be effective.

Totally agree! To me, it's akin to not keeping formula in the cupboard if you want to breastfeed or not keeping your trigger food around if you want to lose weight. Getting through the next 30 minutes is the most important step in getting through the next three hours. Humans are addicted to ease by nature. You wouldn't think it was a good idea for an alcoholic to keep beer in the fridge. If intervention-free is the goal, it's perfectly reasonable to keep unnecessary interventions 'off the table'.

Totally agree! To me, it's akin to not keeping formula in the cupboard if you want to breastfeed or not keeping your trigger food around if you want to lose weight. Getting through the next 30 minutes is the most important step in getting through the next three hours. Humans are addicted to ease by nature. You wouldn't think it was a good idea for an alcoholic to keep beer in the fridge. If intervention-free is the goal, it's perfectly reasonable to keep unnecessary interventions 'off the table'.

Agree. If you're resolving to have a natural labor, it's important that the people around you are on your side, because some women need that support when they feel like they're at the point where they can't make it through. Personally, my labor was pretty easy. I kept waiting for it to get to the point where I felt like I couldn't handle it, because that's what I was told is how you know you're in transition, but that point never came. For some women, however, their labor is longer and more intense and it's harder for them to maintain a mental state that allows them to make the decision that they really want in the end. by having someone on their side who knows the other "options" aren't "options," they can coach and empower the mother through the difficulty, rather than making her feel like she really does need the interventions.

If you're someone who doesn't have a problem with interventions, but you want to give natural birth a try, I think it's important to also make sure that your support person is on board with that and that you have a plan laid out for determining when to use interventions.

It's OK to decide that interventions (unless it's an emergency) should stay off the table during labor. It's also OK to decide that you want to try to keep them off the table, but leave the door open. In either case, I think it's important that the person there to support you is on board so that
  1. They can provide moral support to you during labor.
  2. They can advocate for you when hospital staff decides to offer interventions.

I'm personally choosing a homebirth, so all interventions other than water therapy are off the table. I'm in the US, so "gas and air" aren't an option either. My body is built to do this and unless an emergency situation comes up, the best thing for my baby and my body is to let my body do what it's meant to do, discomfort and all. I do, of course have the advantage of having done it before, but every labor is different. This next one might be 1.5 hours long or it could be 12 hours with back labor. Who knows. I'm hoping for a quick 1.5 hour labor and delivery though! If I can choose, I'll also go with a morning birth. Haha, we'll see what I get!

For my husband, he just couldn't understand why I would want to put myself through it all naturally when there are various pain relief options on hand. He didn't necessarily mean I should just get an epidural, but just didn't understand why I would want to experience the pain if I didn't have to!

I was one of those types who wanted to give birth naturally just to see if I could, as well as not wanting the effects of drugs on myself or baby. It was a pride thing for me but he's of the philosophy of 'you have a headache, you take a paracetamol' type thing!

Ug,I hate that attitude. I prefer to avoid unnecessary medical intervention. They don't always know the full effect of the drugs they deem safe.

Ug,I hate that attitude. I prefer to avoid unnecessary medical intervention. They don't always know the full effect of the drugs they deem safe.

i agree i have done it 5 times with no pain relief u can do it :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->