Diabetes?

fuffyburra

Hattie Flower's mummy :)
Reaction score
Hope I'm posting in the right place! Basically over the last few months I've gained a bit of weight, experienced pain during sex, had repetitive bouts of thrush, been reaaally hungry nearly all the time (and SO grouchy when I don't eat. Actually, grouchy a lot of the time come to think of it! lol), peed like a race horse every single day, and have slept for about 12-16 hours A NIGHT! I also have a linea nigra despite the fact I'm not pregnant, and don't have any children. It's developed in the last few weeks I think, and I noticed today that it's looking darker than even a few days ago.
I'm worried I might have diabetes, and originally looked it up because I slept and peed so much that my mum made a joke about it, and realised all these others little things I've been having might actually be linked (which kinda puts my mind at ease in a way because now I don't feel like all these thinsg are silly reasons to go to the doctors, I've been feeling ridiculous about it for months now!!) and it does run in my family, my grandma had it.
So my question is do I go to the doctors and say "I've looked up diabetes, there's a history of it in my family, test me please" or just go there and give him a list of my symptoms and hope he gets the gist and tests me anyway? Cos it must be so annoying people self-diagnosing themselves and to be honest I've been to the doctors so much in the last year that I probably look like a right hypochondriac :/ But at the same time, what if he doesn't put two and two together and test for it? Will I have to have a blood test? I hate needles and veins and arrgghhh I'm getting stressed! :dohh:
Sorry this has been so long lol, just feel silly asking anyone else really :p
Thanks xx

Personally I would go to the doctors and ask him straight for the test. I would imagine its similar to the one done in pregnancy. For that you have to fast overnight then drink a bottle of lucozade (or glucose stuff) wait 2 hours then have bloods taken. It should fall within a certain threshold, I was told mine had to be 7.8 or under but that may be different in pregnancy. Either way, good luck :)

Thanks :) I'll take your advice and ask straight for the test :)
I really HATE having blood taken, last time I screamed and cried and had a panic attack. I felt like a 4 year old, I don't know what came over me :/ Ohhhh deeeaaar. I tell you, SOMETHING better show up on the test, so then at least I did it for a good reason, and I know what's up with me at the moment! :p xx

Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism—the way the body uses digested food for growth and energy.Most of the food people eat is broken down into glucose,the form of sugar in the blood.Glucose is the main source of fuel for the body.:sleep:

Im diabetic, and im guessing if you told your doctor about your symptoms and family history he would test you.
A blood test usually tests, and they can tell what your blood sugars have been for the past 6 weeks or so.

If you are diagnosed with diabetes can it be controlled with diet or do you have to inject insulin. Where and how do you inject it? How much does it affect your life?
Sorry for all the questions, I am going for the test on Tuesday and am very nervous as hate needles for a start!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->