diagnosis and feeling lonely

bubbles

1DS, 1DD & preggo
Reaction score
My eldest (5) got a diagnosis of high functioning autism on Monday. We have been in the process for almost 2years and I thought I was prepared for either outcome, id actually convinced myself they'd say he had traits but coped at school so wouldnt diagnose (this seems to be a common line from our local CAMHS) so it did shock me.
I don't feel like I can talk to any of my family about it, even my husband thinks I use it as an excuse for everything Edward does. Id hoped my sister would be supportive as she works with children on the spectrum and believes her son has aspergers, but she just seems bitter that we have a diagnosis and she doesnt (her own fault, she got impatient and went private but never took it further than the initial consultation). My parents say they are supportive but my dad just compares himself to my boy and the in laws flat out refuse to accept or talk about it...
I have no idea what to do next or how to deal with this on my own

Hi bubbles. I'm sorry you're dealing with so much right now but there are a lot of people here with children who have autism and we're all here to help and support you :hugs:

I suppose right now it is a massive shock for everyone. Having the diagnosis though is a good thing. Now your LO can access services/therapies he wouldn't have had before. He is still the little boy he was before his diagnosis and your family need to remember this.

As for your sister all she can do is start the journey again. It is a long one as you already know. How she can be bitter that her nephew has been diagnosed and is going to get support is beyond me.

There may be some support groups in your area so have a google. My son doesn't have autism so I don't understand everything but I certainly understand what it's like to have an additional needs child and how isolating it can be. Massive hugs you are welcome to speak to us whenever you like. There is a link in my signature to a support group if you'd like to join us :)

Hi bubbles. Firstly :hugs: It is always very hard to hear that your child has additional needs no matter what those needs are. I can definitely relate to feeling isolated as my lo's disability means that even my friends 11 month old is now overtaking her in development and I just feel left behind. It's hard enough with people who try their best to understand because no one really gets it unless they have a child dealing with challenges but to have your family not even acknowledge or try to understand must be incredibly difficult.

As Sequeena says there are lots of women on this forum with children with autism and you will find lots of support here :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->