Diaper rash and can't poop

writingislove

Reaction score
We've seen two different doctors a total of four times in two weeks and we're still making no progress. My LO is 8 months old and 2.5 weeks ago developed a diaper rash out of nowhere that was bleeding from the day it appeared. It's concentrated just around her actual anus and has not spread at all, but it looks more like a burn than a rash.

We haven't changed diapers, wipes, or soap, and she hasn't had any new foods (she's primarily bottle fed and has only a couple oz of purée a day). Allergies are highly unlikely.

We've treated it for yeast and for bacteria and no improvement. But my LO also can't poop. She screams bloody murder every 20 minutes and her whole body goes stiff. She tries so hard to push out poop that she pees everywhere. She can't actually poop but some does leak out at times and it's super soft, so she's not constipated. The doctors agree constipation is not the issue. We tried enemas and suppositories per doctor instruction and all they did was cause my LO more pain.

The doc yesterday refused to consider anything other than an infection that might be going on. Has anyone been through something like this? I'm going to seek out a third opinion but want to know if there's anything I can ask about specifically. My poor girl is on so much pain, I have no idea how to help her.

Only my experience but my LO developed a rash like this which bled when teething . It came on very quickly and went as fast when his tooth was through . Re the poop don't the the runny poo tell you she is not constipated as when poo gets backed up that's how some can come out . Try her with a kiwi if she will eat it . I found a baby powder containing zinc really helped their bum .

It's horrible isn't I am angry the doctors don't seem to be more supportive. Have you thought about changes in your little ones diet? I found eating too much fruit or too much acidic food caused nappy rash to get worse. A cream called metanium (the yellow one) really help ed too, I can see you are not in the uk though but hopefully it is available. Do you try lots of nappy free time? I use a waterproof cover on my floor and just let them crawl around, something else you could try? Lastly I sometimes used Vasceline as a barrier on my little ones bums I found this to be helpful too.
Sorry I know you have probably tried most of these things but just incase I thought I would add them in. Good luck

Just an update, after three weeks we finally got a second opinion at a different clinic and it turns out my LO did have a bacterial infection. Her regular doc had already treated her for one but it turns out she gave my LO an antibiotic that doesn't even treat perianal bacteria. :growlmad: After one visit with a new doc we saw a huge improvement with just the first dose of the new med, and she's back to normal now and doing great. We've switched doctors because I'm so unhappy she didn't have to be that miserable for so long!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->