Did anyone refuse the gestational diabetes test?

marieb

Reaction score
I'm considering refusing the gestational diabetes test this time around. I'm a healthy 22 year old with no family history of diabetes. I had an uncomplicated first pregnancy and my son was born healthy and at a normal weight (7lbs 14oz).
Having 0 risk factors for gestational diabetes really makes me question just how necessary it is that I go through the screening again. I hate needles so if a test isn't totally necessary I'd rather just pass on it.

I have a midwife appointment at the end of October and will definitely be discussing in then. However, until then does anyone else have any good resources about the gestation diabetes test or did any of you actually refuse it?

Hi, I'm not doing the glucose tolerance test either. I have some literature on it from my midwife, and it's got lots of ways to manage your blood sugar (small meals, don't gain too much, avoid refined sugars, exercise regularly, etc). Also the literature points out that the glucose tolerance test (GTT) tells you whether statistically your sugar levels fall on the high end of the scale but it doesn't do a really good job of identifying which babies will have the problems associated with GD. And once you are labeled "At risk" your pregnancy will be managed much differently. Hope that helps. My midwife is not into the GTT at all so I didn't get any pushback.

I refused the random blood glucose screening which then leads to gtt if you fail. The neighbouring trust doesn't offer any gtt screening at all, so when questioned as to why I was refusing, one of my 'cheeky' reasons was that I didn't see what difference 50 miles made! It's a seriously flawed test, and I was happy with the research I had done in to it. Considering some trusts don't offer at all, and some only to high risk women, it doesn't seem there is any agreement to its importance between professionals either

xxx

I plan to refuse it as well. If there are any issues, they'll be obvious, but no sense taking a test just to have some high risk sign hanging over your head if you are perfectly healthy.

I didn't, but I had a large baby w/dystocia last time so I just wanted to be sure of that.

If you are interested in declining, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth has a lot of detailed information about how she manages diet in pregnancy and about this particular test (which is generally NOT done on her clients). Women are not turned away from home/natural birth or induced due to GD at her practice.

I refused. For some reason the first midwife I saw thought I should have it, but spoke to the regular midwife and said I couldn't see the reason the other one thought I should have it done. Have had two previous healthy babies, my BMI is 22, and have no close fh of it. She agreed that it was unnecessary for me to have-phew!!

Hey i didnt take the GTT or any other test for that matter with my sons pregnancy :)

I do not do the GD test. I didn't with ds2 and won't with this one. My MW is able to check for warning signs in other non-invasive ways.

Thanks everyone! Definitely feeling more comfortable with refusing it now.
I know my midwives will be okay with whatever I choose but it's good to know that the test isn't really all that necessary in my case.

I wish I had refused it!

I failed the 1 hour test and then went in for the 2 hour test, but was horribly sick for both tests (which can significantly alter glucose levels) and "failed" one out of three blood draws by .1.

Doctor said I was "glucose intolerant" and referred me to a Diabetes Clinic, which I begrudgingly went to and was told by their "Diabetes Doctor" that he wasn't much concerned, but now it's marked on my chart and they have to "take care" to watch baby after she's born so she doesn't start "seizing and die" (doctor's scare tactic).

They wanted me to go to the Clinic this past Friday for more fasting/blood draws/etc but I truly feel they made a wrong diagnosis, as the Diabetes expert indicated it was just policy to bring me in as I was .1 over (he said "is 61 mph speeding in a 60 zone?"). I didn't go but will probably go this Friday just so they don't start after me and use more scare tactics.

Just frustrated that I got tagged glucose intolerant, but I don't have to check my blood by myself or anything like that. And frustrated my own doctor used scare tactics on me. Seeing as how I'm going for a completely natural birth and am declining TONS of newborn procedures, I think I should ready up for the full front of scare tactics, though.....

I wish I had refused it!

I failed the 1 hour test and then went in for the 2 hour test, but was horribly sick for both tests (which can significantly alter glucose levels) and "failed" one out of three blood draws by .1.

Oh geez that's terrible... I'm really sorry to hear that happened. Will they let you do it again and re-write the data? I'm glad it's not worrying you (the "diagnosis")... it shouldn't.

I did it in my first pregnancy, and passed.

Didn't go my second pregnancy because I was simply too busy with school, work and raising my son. My son's were both of healthy weights and general great health, as was I.

This time around I'm not going to do it. I have already told my midwife I will likely skip and she's not too concerned. And I DO have a family history of diabetes. Both of my parents have it. Other family members have as well. I have had my sugars tested usually once a year as it just so happens to go (pregnant, ttc not going well, pregnant again haha). And I've always had great levels, I'm usually a 5. I'm really not too concerned. If I happen to notice something then I'll rethink it.

I didnt refuse it but I thought about it, I cant have procedures with needles and that was my may concern. We ended up doing a finger prick test, which is what they use when checking blood sugar in diabetics...I dont know why they cant just do that for all pregnant woman!

but if needles are an issue you can always request a finger prick test.

I wish I had refused it!

Oh geez that's terrible... I'm really sorry to hear that happened. Will they let you do it again and re-write the data? I'm glad it's not worrying you (the "diagnosis")... it shouldn't.

Well, I'm nearly 37 weeks now and while I had thought about redoing the test, at this point I don't think it really even matters anymore!

I was also doing a lot of reading about how useless Glucose tests are during pregnancy, and it's all just another way for doctors to push interventions on you (early C-sections, scare tactics about big babies, hypoglycemic babies, etc), so I'm at this point even debating going back in to the Diabetes clinic (it's a 45 min drive, nearly $5 in parking costs, and it's at 7:30 a.m., would have to get more blood drawn and they have butchered my veins over the last several months....) my belly is measuring fine, and our baby has always been a bit small, so... it just seems so pointless to me.

A_K_and_K, I actually have a reference that says diagnosing women as having GD hasn't been effective at figuring out which babies are actually going to need the interventions... it's a measure of how well the mom handles glucose and it's loosely correlated with baby, not absolutely correlated... The things the docs say to women to scare them into doing what they want are unconscionable. Laugh in their face when they say, "You might have a HUGE BABY!!! OH NO!!"

Yep, I refused. First they wanted me to have it due to family history, but it's only my nan who got it in old age. Then there was protein in my urine - again i refused. The following week I was back to normal and she said it probably was down to the lucozade I'd just had which is what I'd thought.

In the UK it's only offered if you're at risk I believe, so you wouldn't even be offered it here with your history

I'm in a different boat than most here... I seriously thought about refusing (and my midwife was totally ok with it), but I ended up deciding that I personally wanted the information. If you have gestational diabetes, that's something you don't really want to mess around with. It IS diabetes. Even if you ignore the possibility of hypoglycemia or macrosomnia in your baby, YOU are still having trouble with sugars in your blood. It might be a pain to fingerprick throughout the day, but ignoring a possible problem doesn't make it any less real.

The test has flaws (clearly). But your blood glucose is not going to be elevated unless your body is struggling to keep up with insulin production.

Just thought I'd offer a different opinion!

They do the GTT for ALL women here. It can be deadly to both baby and mom if left untreated. Women with NO risk factors (and even healthy previous pregnancies) can and do get GD.

They don't do the GTT for all women in the US... I was actually counseled by my midwife that it may unnecessarily subject me to interventions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->