Did your LO's milk intake reduce when weaned?

jojo2605

Mom to Sam & Dylan
Reaction score
As the title says, did your LO carry on with their normal intake of milk when you first weaned them or did it reduce?
-
This is a concern of mine as my LO only has about 28-30ozs a day and I am concerned that once we start weaning this will reduce further.

I'd be interested to know what happened with your LOs! thankyou!

That milk intake sounds fine. If you wean now via the puree route then your LO is highly likely to drop milk, which you don't want, so I would only wean if there is a medical reason...

We do BLW so Ruby doesn't eat huge amounts of solids very often but she's down to 25oz from 40oz before weaning.

That milk intake sounds fine. If you wean now via the puree route then your LO is highly likely to drop milk, which you don't want, so I would only wean if there is a medical reason...

We do BLW so Ruby doesn't eat huge amounts of solids very often but she's down to 25oz from 40oz before weaning.

Thanks for your comments Mum2bclaire: I don't intend to wean now, I'm looking at around 5.5-6 months, just trying to read as much as I can to make sure I do what's best!

We weaned on medical advice early and if anything Alex's intake of milk has increased, we had the diet doc this morning who was very happy with what Alex is taking in, roughly works out the same as Sam.
SHe has said that milk should always be offered first which it is and that he will start to decrease his milk intake as time goes on.

If your worried i would have a chat with you HV also if you are due a hospital appiontmet you often find that the diet doc lurks about at certain clinics or ask for one to be called, i know that my own hides just waiting to jump on me at cardioligy lol

We only started weaning 2 weeks ago but up till now Myles' milk intake has remained the same :)

We weaned on medical advice early and if anything Alex's intake of milk has increased, we had the diet doc this morning who was very happy with what Alex is taking in, roughly works out the same as Sam.
SHe has said that milk should always be offered first which it is and that he will start to decrease his milk intake as time goes on.

Thanks for this hun! Really helpful! All this advice can only help me when I come to do it myself.. If i'm honest I'm not looking forward to it as I know how obsessed I got with Sam having the right amount of milk when he went through patches where he wasn't having as much, so I'm just going to be a right worry wart! Hehe, I want to be happy in my own mind what I'm doing before I start as I don't want Sam to sense any nervousness from me! lol

If your worried i would have a chat with you HV also if you are due a hospital appiontmet you often find that the diet doc lurks about at certain clinics or ask for one to be called, i know that my own hides just waiting to jump on me at cardioligy lol

haha this made me laugh! He is due for an op on 30th Jan so I might ask around then! :)

Aisling has gone from 5 bfs a day to 3 but that only happened 2 months or so after weaning started.

haha this made me laugh! He is due for an op on 30th Jan so I might ask around then! :)

I would def ask to chat to one, i am sure they will be delighted to give you advice, its a huge worry, i was crapping it when it came to weaning Alex, wanted to wait till he was 6 months but wasnt to be.
First few times i made sure he was relaxed and that i was as well, i didnt worry that he didnt take much the first few times, i just followed Alex's lead.

Its crazy as weaned my daughter without a second thought lol

We started out at 4.5 mos, at that age Elyse was on about 21-25oz of formula per day, she was never really fond of her milk TBH - and still isn't - she looves her food though.. but I found once I started weaning her, she didn't drop any bottles until 6-8 mos range and the bottle size actually went up.

Freya was on about 24oz a day before weaning, we started at 6 months (BLW) and since then she has been on 40oz+ a day. Eats loads of food too, and has put on weight better than before.

I weaned Roman at 4 months on advice of the HV and he's been a different baby ever since. He's loving food and his milk. Before weaning his bottles where at 5 oz and he would have 4 bottles a day. Now he takes 6-7oz 3 times a day and his bedtime one can be between 8-11oz.

THanks for your input on this girls, it's really put my mind at rest a bit. I was always worried that Sam wasn't having enough milk but it looks as though there are many of you who have a LO who, like mine, aren't massive milk guzzling monsters but have still taken well to weaning!!

I feel less nervous about the whole process now, so will proceed in a month or so's time with more confidence I think!

yeh lilly reduced her bottles and once fully weaned had a bottle with breakfast 9oz and a 9oz one for bed xxx

I had the same experience as Kelly2903 the bottles reduced a little in amounts and then he started to drop whole bottles as his breakfast, dinner, tea regime got going.

Now Ben has a 9oz bottle with his breakfast and a 9oz bottle at bedtime. He has juice/water with his meals. (Hes 10 months atm)

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->