Didn't know I was in labor!! The arrival of Alexander David! *long*

armywifeTTC1

Mom to Alex
Reaction score
I had no idea that when I woke up on Thursday morning, I'd be going into labor that day. My overall birth summary: Labor was easy, delivery was hard.

I was 36+5 and I finished lunch, had a cup of RLT & noticed my Braxton Hicks felt stronger.

(I've had Braxton Hicks since week 24, so I didn't think much of it. I chalked it up to the RLT really.)

It was about 3:00 PM that the tightenings were annoying & seemed more frequent, but I just carried on with the day. By dinnertime, they were starting to get crampy, but it just felt like menstrual cramps so I still didn't think much of it. I had a bowel movement, & the back of my mind wondered if it was a clear out, but it still didn't seem too out of the ordinary. Then bedtime rolled around & I was quite uncomfortable trying to change positions, hoping to relieve some of the discomfort. I went to bed hoping laying down, they would ease off... They didn't & I could start to feel it in my back. I lay in the dark, thinking "no way it's labor, it's too early." But it was getting more painful & not going away so I started to count the length of contractions. Sure enough they were lasting longer starting around 20 seconds. I woke up my DH once I was counting up to 40 seconds.

Now I was thinking we should call the nurse line about it.
So we call & the Dr. is supposed to call back in 20min, but 40 minutes go by before we hear from him. Luckily I had my bag already packed & was just getting together the last things. DH was funny trying to pack his things since he hadn't yet. I heard him in the kitchen & into the cupboards & I was thinking "what is he doing? Makng a sandwich??" lol. He told me later he almost packed a sweet potato (LMAO!!)

By now the tightenings were enough that I had to stop & breathe through them & I'm walking around to try to stay comfortable.

When I talked to the Dr. on the phone, I don't think he felt I was in labor. At this point I was still pretty calm. I didn't have any waters leaking, or blood, or mucous. (though I had lost a small clump of mucous the other day). But he said to go in & get evaluated & we'll go from there.

We left the house at almost midnight. I used the bathroom right before we left & there was a spot of blood. It takes 30 minutes or so to get to the hospital & DH was speeding down the highway, lol. I was in the seat with the window cracked, holding my hand out & onto the top of the door. The cold air numbing my hand was helping to distract the growing pain. DH got us to the hospital in 25 minutes, lol.

I was admitted & hooked up to all the monitors. The nurse comes in to check me & she sort of double takes. I was 8cm! She couldn't believe how calm I still was for being that far into labor. I swear I hadn't been sure I was in labor & was shocked myself. This really was happening now.

I just thought labor felt differently, more upper abdominal involvement, but it just really felt like bad menstrual cramps down low & back pain. Everyone said "Oh you'll just know." Ah, I didn't, lol.

Now I was nervous I was too far gone to get an epidural. But luckily I wasn't. By then I was starting to tremble all over, something that happens when I get to my pain threshhold, & I'm told it's common in labor. The anesthesiologist came in & he was more painful than my contractions so far. The numbing, the pressure, the catheter, the electric zing that goes down your spine.... By all the accounts on tv, you think it's just a needle, but it's more than that.

By now it's 1 AM Friday.
The epidural takes the edge off the increasing contractions. The Dr. comes in to break my water. Around 2 AM, it's showtime. I can still feel the contractions & the nurse has me start pushing. At first it's hard to tell where to "direct" the push. They had me holding the backs of my legs at first, but ultimately ended up holding the handle bars & it was more effective. After an hour of pushing with contractions, I was starting to feel tired. I worried, what if I tire out & can't do it anymore? As the baby moved down, my back started to really hurt. The contractions got so much stronger & I was glad I had the epidural. I was trying so hard during the pushing & was given air to keep up oxygen levels.

DH was a good coach, reminding me to breathe, saying how close I was. The head was coming into view. I kept telling myself it was so close to ending the pain. The harder I push, the faster I can end the massive back pain & building massive contractions. The actual Dr. never came in until right before the head came out. I bear down as hard as I can for 3 sets of 10 count, & finally the head is out. There was lots of burning to pass the head, but it was less "ring of fire" & more just super stretched pain, as the nurse had been stretching around the opening. Now the Dr. tells me to hold up on the pushing as he adjusts the baby's body, & it's really hard because you're admidst a contraction. He then says, gentle push & everything comes out & I just start crying with relief. & I hear my baby cry for the first time.

They put him up on my chest as they clean him off. Then take him off to clean him & monitor vitals. He peed on the nurses :haha: bahahaha :)
3:50 AM, Alexander was born. Almost 13hrs after labor started.

I can feel my whole abdomen aching & the Dr. pushes on my stomach to deliver the placenta... ow. It feel so weird coming out, feeling like a big squishy kidney. I tore, 2nd degree, so the Dr. stitches me up. I was really hoping to not tear, but all in all, the best happened.

Post delivery recovery has been much better than my mind anticipated. I had imagined feeling like an absolute train wreck, but I'm happy to say I don't. Just some soreness, and the heaviest bleeding was that first day. Now it's just like a period or less.

I am so amazed to have my beautiful boy, & seeing what has been pushing away from inside my belly all this time. It truly is love at first sight.
https://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n179/armywife_32/IMG_027.jpg

What a wonderful story hun! Congratulations on your little man! Well done on getting so far without any pain relief too!! I cant wait to experience all of this! :D

oh hun! :hugs:

what a lovely story i am so happy for you! i remember on facebook on Thursday you were saying about getting lots of braxton hicks, and i was like 'yeh me too, i think it's the RLT' :haha: :dohh:

that is a beautiful picture of you guys and your little man is absolutely gorgeous. and how amazing that you got so far in without even knowing! so glad everything is going well for you all, can't wait to join you in motherhood, sooner rather than later i hope, hehe.

Lots of love xxx

Lovely birth story sweetie! :) well done and congrats xxxx

Amazing story well done you for getting so far without even noticing

Hes beautiful and your little family pic is stunning!! xx

What a lovely story. Well done you - he looks gorgeous! Congratulations x

Aw huge congrats hun, lovely pic xx
Hehe im glad im not the only one that didnt know when she was in labour lol!! people usually look at me strange when i tell them that when i had my DS2 i didnt know untill my doctor told me i didnt even have any pains nothing nadda nowt and less than 2 hrs later i was holding him lol!! So

Hope your enjoying all the newborn cuddles xxx

Congratulations!! Lovely pic, you look good for just having had a baby!!

Congratulations!

What a beautiful family photo too!

Gorgeous xx

:flower::flower::flower: Congratulations!!! :flower::flower::flower:

I have a question tho....

how the hell do you look soooo gorgeous just after having a baby? :haha: LOL your family picture is absolutely beautiful :hugs:

Thank you ladies! Lol, admittedly I showered before the family photo :haha:

Congratulations... I LOL'd when you said about the sweet potato! x

You are all such a beautiful family!

Thank you for writing this, I'm not as terrified of doing it myself now lol!

gorgeous family picture hun and wow, I wish I looked that good after having my little boy :thumb up:

P.s I was the same, though I was convinced I had a simple water infection when I was in labour, admittedly I only got to 5cm as I wasn't supposed to into natural labour in the first place, but I had 66 hours of labour. Us women are stronger than we give ourselves credit for.:happydance::happydance:

Congratulations! Your bump always impressed me with how perfect it was. Alexander is gorgeous and that picture is really really lovely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->