Dieting while NTNP/TTC

Cassie0454

Wife and Mommy
Reaction score
So I have been going back and forth about officially starting to NTNP/TTC now or waiting until I can lose a little more weight. I think I have made up my mind, but I would love some thoughts from you lovely ladies.

My BMI is currently 30.1 so I am technically obese, which I think is a load of crap because the BMI doesn't take body type into account. I am a DD. I would look like a toothpick with two grapes attached if I tried to get to their ideal weight for my height. I am going to get to a healthy weight for ME, not Kate Moss. My ideal weight is somewhere between 30-35lbs away.

I have been losing about 3 lbs per week and am doing a really good job exercising and dieting. :happydance: I really want to start to NTNP/TTC because I really want to be pregnant this Christmas and arrange it so that my pregnancy will fit best into my work schedule. I know that dieting during pregnancy is a No No for obvious reasons, but I am having a tremendous amount of guilt about the idea of continuing to diet while NTNP/TTC. Is this a ridiculous fear/guilt? I would of course increase my daily calorie intake to account for pregnancy, but would it be safe to continue dieting while beginning to try? I know it might decrease my chances some, but I am on a roll and a healthier weight for me would be better for me and the baby.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Absolutions?

:shrug:

I'm in the same boat..I'm considered obese and I look in the mirror and I think "geez..I didn't think I was THAT fat :(" and you know you can't trust anyone you ask these days. I guess it would all depend on what you consider a "diet" because I don't necessarily think losing weight while pregnant is a bad thing if you need to lose it. I for one have just tried to be more active while NTNP and eating better but not ruling anything off limits. There are diets and there are DIETS (the evil ones that restrict carbs and dairy and whatnot) I would think as long as you're not restricting yourself from getting certain nutrients you should be guilt free knowing that you're trying to create a healthier place to carry your future child. I say go for it :)

In terms of diet I am restricting calories. I still eat whatever I want, but I eat much much less and try to avoid the really bad foods. I am supposed to be eating around 1200 calories per day, but I tend to eat less than that now that my tummy seems to have shrunk. I am also walking everyday. I guess it is the calories that I am worried about.

Cassie, congrats on the weight loss!! I was a little concerned when I read that you are only eating 1200 calories, while walking, and sometimes less. I am a Health Educator by occupation and am an exercise physiologist by degree. I would consider increasing those calories to at least 1500, if possible. Dieting this much may slow your metabolism and eventually make it hard for you to lose weight or keep it off. A weight loss of 1-2 pounds a week is healthy and has been shown in numerous studies to be more successful for long term weight loss. I would think that restricting your calories as low as you have been doing could definitely affect conception chances....just my two sense...Good luck to you!

when i was TTC #2 i was on a 1200 cal a day tryin to lose wight for when i got preg as i put loads on after the depo jab. It didnt stop me getting my BFP and when i did get it i just eat realy good. Like has said it is not bad to lose weigh in preg just as long as you eat for what you need baby will take any thing from you and leve you with the rest but that is late on in the preg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->