Dilation and effacement?

orangedaisy

Reaction score
Been awhile since I've been on these boards, but hi! :)

At nearly 36 weeks today I was a 1/2 cm dilated and 50% effaced. This is my 3rd and I can't stinkin remember how I progressed with my last two.

I've read sooo many sources saying mixed opinions about how it does or doesn't predict labor, but thoughts?

I don't think it predicts labor. At 37 and 38 weeks both of them I was 2cm and first one was 25% effaced then 60% effaced. At 39 weeks I as 4cm and 80% effaced. Went into labor 9pm 39w 5d and had baby at 8:01AM 39w 6d

Well, it is progress toward labor, but it doesn't indicate when your body will decide to go from that slow labor of slowly effacing and dilating to full-on active labor. I was 3 cm dilated with my son for about 3 weeks before my water broke and I went into labor.

Well, I was walking around at 5cm, fully effaced, and baby was fully engaged for a week. Before that I was about 3cm for several weeks. I wouldn't pay any attention to it!

Well, I was walking around at 5cm, fully effaced, and baby was fully engaged for a week. Before that I was about 3cm for several weeks. I wouldn't pay any attention to it!

oh my!! Cutos to you for not being like "get this baby out of me NOW!!!" hahaha I think I would have.... I can see it now... "NO, Dr. you promised me as soon as I dialated to 4cm I would be admitted and I would give birth to this baby now I did my part so you need to do your part and you make that happen!!!!" Hahahaahahahaha. You are awesome! :thumbup:

I was not effaced at all and no dialation at all one day and then "boom!" 80% effaced dialated to 4 the next - had DS1 12 hours later and then when it happened with DS2 exactly the same way I had him 6 hours later

As others have said, it means progress, but is no indication of labor happening soon. My sis in-law dilates to a 4 by the time she is 36 weeks and can walk around like that until 40 weeks before she finally goes into labor.

oh my!! Cutos to you for not being like "get this baby out of me NOW!!!" hahaha I think I would have.... I can see it now... "NO, Dr. you promised me as soon as I dialated to 4cm I would be admitted and I would give birth to this baby now I did my part so you need to do your part and you make that happen!!!!" Hahahaahahahaha. You are awesome! :thumbup:

Haha, oh believe me, it was super frustrating! I kept going into labour, dilating a bit, then stopping for days. I didn't want to step foot in a hospital or augment it though -- everyone labours differently after all! My water ended up breaking spontaneously one day out of nowhere and I had an 2 hour labour and home birth, so everything worked out well. :flower:

I was just at the doctor yesterday afternoon, they wanted to check me since I'm high risk and the past 3-4 days have been having intense, frequent Braxton hicks and period like cramps.

I'm 34 weeks today and yesterday afternoon I had not dilated, but was about 25% effaced. My doctor said at this point he's not at all worried, and that everyone is completely different.

It's definitely a good sign that you're progressing and your body is preparing, but it doesn't necessarily indicate impending labor. I tend to dilate a lot before contractions begin. Last pregnancy I was 4 cm at my 36 week check-up, then 7 cm at my 38 week check-up (where a sweep sent me into labor:thumbup:). I figure, the more dilating I do before labor the less I have to do in labor!

It's definitely a good sign that you're progressing and your body is preparing, but it doesn't necessarily indicate impending labor. I tend to dilate a lot before contractions begin. Last pregnancy I was 4 cm at my 36 week check-up, then 7 cm at my 38 week check-up (where a sweep sent me into labor:thumbup:). I figure, the more dilating I do before labor the less I have to do in labor!

7!!!

I am in awe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"