Disappointed after first hospital visit! When did you all hear heartbeat on doppler?

Flins26

Mother of 3
Reaction score
I am 15 weeks today and had my booking in appointment with a midwife today. She was really nice and helpful but my initial referral from my GP was not faxed when it was supposed to be so now because my appointment was later than it could have been I have missed out on the midwife program that I went through with my other children. They have put me on a waiting list but don't sound very hopeful. The alternative is to see a different midwife at each visit but they won't be at the hospital when I am in labour or once the baby is born. Then to top it off she couldn't find the babies heartbeat on the doppler. She thought she could hear it a few times but wasn't certain. What a day. I think I am exhausted from driving (I live an hour from town amd had two trips there and back today) and a bit emotional not hearing a definite heartbeat. Now I have to wait until I am 20 weeks :cry:

Generally at my hospital they don't even check hb until 16+ weeks. They tired at 11 weeks just to see and we only caught it for a few seconds. And even though i do the midwifery program i see different midwives each appt and have no idea who ill have when i give birth, its not a big deal to me because i don't even know they are in the room half the time im so focused on what my body is doing lol
You'll be ok :) i hope the next 5 weeks go fast for you so you can have some reassurance :hugs:

Sounds like a frustrating and disappointing day. Sorry! I see different drs at each appointment but I found in the end with my daughter, it didn't matter to me either. I was n't very focused on who was there, I was just focused on labor. So, hopefully, if you have to go that route you'll find its not so bad.

The midwife I saw at 14 weeks had a hard time finding the hb too. We heard it about 2 seconds twice before giving up. I wasn't worried though bc I have a doppler at home and had picked up baby at 12 weeks. Maybe getting one might ease your worries until the next appointment? Mine was relatively cheap (on Amazon).

Last week (19 weeks) the dr had no trouble getting the hb on doppler.

My OB couldn't find mine at 12 weeks due to an anterior placenta... Finally got to hear it at 16 weeks!

Oh Hun. You will hear it soon enough. Some MWs aren't very confident in it and an anterior placenta can get in the way of a good reading .

I don't get the same MW in labour. I'm in the UK. My antenatal is all with the community MWs. I do think it would be wonderful to have that!

And consistency in your antenatal goes a long wAy tosling you feel secure in the service

I had mw care with my first throughout pregnancy. It was a practice of 2 midwifes. I saw them monthly at first, then biweekly. II had PPROM -premature breaking of waters- & was admitted to hospital under OB care. Never saw my mw as they don't get paid if you fall under someone else's care. So, they were of no use during labour. Afterwards they were brilliant with getting baby on track with feeding issues. This time I'm going with a practice of 6 doctors at the hospital where I will deliver. I'm fine with that. I don't get attached to medical staff. I just need them to do their job.

I had first tri issues, so got a Doppler ($50) and listened to hb for a minute every 3 days or so. Now, at 17 weeks, little one is wriggling a lot. Yesterday I had prenatal visit and doc was looking fr baby with doppler too high fr 5 mins. Didn't say anything as I don't want Doppler discussions. And when she found him, he scurried away. He is always very low. If you have anterior placenta , it might even be harder to find.

I had my 16 week appointment last Friday and didn't do the heartbeat thing, I did hear it then with my first though.

Matbe just different areas I don't know.

Had my 16 week appt today (at 17 weeks) and she got the doppler out. I think it depends on the area. Some do some don't.

Our mw don't check for hb until 20 weeks here (shropshire uk) xx

I had my 16 week apt today. I will be 17 weeks this Friday and she used the Doppler. Maybe it's still early or she just didn't check properly? Either way I'm sure you will hear it soon x

You can buy or rent your own Doppler on eBay and can try yourself at home :) it's my third pregnancy and I find it consistently as of 8+5 ... It gives me peace of mind to own it. Sometimes medical professionals don't have much time to search so that's why they can't find and give up xx

Thanks everyone!! It has been a huge week and it's still not over! I don't remember being this exhausted during my other pregnancies. Im hoping that I will start to feel some movements soon which will be reassuring. I had an anterior placenta in my last pregnancy but they didn't mention anything this time as yet. But hopefully that's all it is or just a bit too early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->