discussion: the importance of married

BlueWater

Reaction score
Is marriage important to you?
Why or why not?

Does the relationship status of your parents / grandparents affect your decision to marry?

What happens when in a couple one wants to get married but the other doesn't?

With some couples living together as if married, is there any 'point' or 'benefit' in getting married?

For me marriage is very important, it felt like the natural next step to show each other our commitment, to me it solidified our family (we were engaged when we fell pregnant and DS was 3 months when we married). I never see marriage as just a piece of paper, the vows mean something to me and it means a lot that my husband has said legally and spiritually that he intends to be with me forever, after getting married the only way I can describe it is security, I felt secure with my position in the world, in my relationship...it made me feel very...content I guess you could say, it's made us stronger because any argument we have had and to be fair we don't argue much it never gets blown out of proportion, we deal with the matter at hand because we know we will work it out becuase this is forever, none of that dramatic stuff you get as kids (we've been together since we were 17 so it's the only relationship we've had so I guess that does skew my beliefs as I've not had a grown up relationship that wasn't a marriage lol).

On a more superficial level Im a traditionalist and I guess I just like that we all have the same name, that my children have happily married parents (emphasis on happily, no point being married if you're not happy!!) I'm proud of that.

Practically it's good to be married too, financially, and as we are a military family it's very important, the military is old fashioned still and basically completely overlooks girlfriends no matter how long you've been together or got kids, to be a Next of kin (not just a point of contact) during deployment you have to be married (or family) to be seen as a dependent by the military to get housing and support you need to be married, so on that level it's important for that too.

And on a really shallow level, I just love ticking the "Mrs" box lol.

Strangely enough neither our sets of parents or my grandparents had good marriages, both ended in divorce and my grandparents were bitterly unhappy, but if anything we have learned from their mistakes, we know why they were unhappy, it wasn't because of marriage it was just they picked the wrong people, they didn't spend much time for each other so I've learned a lot from them and am keen not to make the same mistakes, but if anything coming from families with weak relationships I think it has made us all the more keen to provide a strong happy family unit with a happily married mum and dad as we know the benefits. DH's grandparents had the idyllic marriage, I think that's what encouraged my DH, for me it's my best friend's parents, they have a fantastic marriage and she's the most mentally sorted person I know lol, I can really see the differences in us and how our upbringings affected that (just want to add I had a fantastic childhood I don't mean that I didn't!)

In terms of if one wants it and the other doesn't I've not had to deal with that, I don't think marriage is of quite the significance to my husband as it is me he doesn't over think things like me lol, but he always wanted to get married so it's all good. If someone didn't want to marry I don't think I could be with them, purely because if marriage wasn't important to them we would have very different values so probably wouldn't be a suitable couple anyway and would clash in other areas particularly child rearing I imagine (only because of how important marriage is to me).

But this is what works for us, I put my hands up and say that I am usually an insecure person and I think marriage was a form of security for me, but I don't judge if anyone else does things differently in this respect, it's much too personal a decision and it's 2015 where thankfully we have choices unlike 100 years ago, but I think marriage makes *my* family stronger.

Sorry that was quite a long reply........!!!! It's a subject I'm quite passionate about I guess.

It's not terribly important to me, no. My DH and I were together for 7 years before getting married (lived together for 5) and I don't feel that anything really changed after we got married. It was basically just a fun trip to Mexico with a bunch of our friends, the wedding itself wasn't like this big, life-changing moment for me... it was sort of just part of what was supposed to happen.

I don't feel that we're any closer or more secure than we were before we were married, we were common-law with a child before so splitting up would have been a complicated mess either way.

I didn't change my last name, so that wasn't a big selling point for me either. Honestly, had my DH never asked me to marry him I would have been fine with it. That's not to say I wasn't happy that he asked, but it was never something that was necessary or very important to me. I know who we are as a couple and it hasn't changed.

The relationships of my parents/grandparents haven't really affected my stance at all, my parents were happily married until my dad died, my grandparents one side were happily married for over 50 years, and my grandparents on the other side were divorced.

I guess the one big benefit I see is that my daughter will have married parents - I think a child probably views marriage as being more secure even if I don't.

MY marriage is important to me, but marriage in general isn't. If that even makes sense! I love being married, it makes me feel connected to my husband. But it doesn't make a relationship stronger or even more special or easier.
My parents separated when I was younger and although my grandparents stayed together they lived very seperate lives. It wasn't until I met my husband and saw how his parents were that I truly saw how amazing a marriage could be if it is to the right person.

Its not really important to me. I'm not planning on changing my name, and co-habitating relationships are considered pretty much the same as married relationships legally here (there are some differences, but not much) so I don't really see how getting married will change anything. Might do it some day just for the fun party and to please my parents but its just not a priority for us.

It's not that important to me really. I've been married once and that was a disaster. My parents were married up till my mum passed and my dad then remarried. But their marriage wasn't exactly the norm either my dad lived and worked abroad from when I was about 8 and still does.
My grandparents on both sides had long solid marriages lasting til one of the couple passed.
I never thought my oh would even entertain the idea which was fine by me buy he recently hinted at it. We'll see x

It is quite important to me, but I'm not married yet!

My parents and my partners parents are still married, as are all our grandparents should their partners not have died. We both see it as something really important, but we have always had other priorities also.

For example we were both only 21 when we met, I was still at Uni and my partner was still living at home. Our priority was to have a good time, go on nights out etc, and obviously for me to finish Uni.
After graduating we were offered a flat from a friends parents and we decided I move in together on a sort-of whim. We had been together three years so had mentioned it but it happened quite fast. We then started saving for a mortgage and bought a house last year.
Now we are focusing on paying off the loans that we had to take for furnishing and refurbing our house, which will take another year or so. He has mentioned getting married after that is done, but now I'm 14w pregnant so again we have another priority.

I definitely want to get married before the baby starts school.

That being said, we own our home in joint names, we only have joint money now and our baby will take on my partners surname. We effectively live like a married couple, we just need te paperwork.

My husband's parents were in a horrific marriage. In the early stages of our relationship, he flat out told me he refused to get married because he never wanted to have a marriage like his parents had.

He overcame it in time. Its important to me, as I believe in marriage. I can't even explain what/why it is to me... too many things to list. :flower: To be fair, not much in our relationship has changed since getting married. Although there's a certain bit of certainty in our lives because we made that commitment to each other.

Hubby feels the same that I do, in the sense that if it didn't work out we'd get divorced.... not an option for either of us. That being said, I don't believe in staying together if it isn't working.

I'm pretty sure I was no help at all to the OP. :lol: :blush:

Marriage isn't important to either of us. We are commom law husband and wife by default due to the length of our relationship anyway.

I don't know any body who has ever married someone and stayed with them. Don't see the point in it.

Nope. Both mine and OHs parents had very messy divorces, so that helps. I'm not religious and neither is he, so I don't really see the point. We've been together since our teens, and we have no idea how we might change whilst growing older. We may end up wanting different things, and I'd imagine it would be harder to have an amicable split if we were married. So it just seems totally unnecessary for us.

Not important to me at all. We had a hand fasting, said vows to each other, the earth. Thats all that matters to me x

Yes for my husband and myself it was important.
My parents have been married 30 years so I guess for me it seemed a natural thing to do.

My DH had a tough upbringing, he had an absent father and his mother died when he was 7, his grandparents raised him. For him marriage is very important if we are going to have children. I think he craves what he didn't have growing up.

We got married just this past August.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->