Distance learning anyone? Midwifery

kbwebb

Reaction score
I'm looking into an online distance learning course for an access course into midwifery. I've emailed them asking if I'm too young (18) as local collages have turned me away due to me not being 19. Just wondered if anyone had any advice/experiences.
Hoping to do it online so I can still look after Lucy and I can get it done a year earlier leaving me enough time to get experience before applying for uni :thumbup:

I have my undergraduate degree- you should know that distance learning is a lot tougher than attending class- you're going to have to be very organised and very motivated. Hope you're not too young- good luck!

Oh also check that the access course is accepted by the uni's you're applying to in future- it's bizarre how many aren't!

I'm currently doing Access to Midwifery through Distance Learning Centre :) Been doing it since January and went back to work 4 days a week in February.

I left school at 16 and did beauty therapy studying at college while working part time, finished that and worked full time, then did a Counselling Concepts evening course at college and at the same time did an NVQ level 3 diploma in Business and Administration through work. I don't think Access to Midwifery is any worse than any of those. The Student Midwife forum (SMNet) is really helpful as is the Distance Learning Centre forum and you can have as much help from your tutor as you need.

Feel free to PM me if you've got any questions :)

I should also add I'm not 'academic' in the slightest, hated school and really stuggle with studying and stuff but I kind of find this way better as I prioritise it myself around my life in my own time if that makes sense!

As pp said make sure the access course would be accepted. Also midwifery courses are extremely competitive and you'll be unlikely to get a place without some experience (volunteering in a hospital or children's centre etc) so bear this in mind re studying at home and childcare.

Good luck! :)

As far as I've seen the uni's near me will accept you if you've done distance learning. I can't get into college because their grants to run the courses are 16-18 then 19-24 so I wouldn't get funding for the course. I may look into asking them if they would let me on the course at college if I paid for it rather than got it for free because it's the same price as doing it online. The pro's of doing it at home though are no childcare costs and I can work it around everything else. I actually taught myself my whole last year of school from home so I know that I can be motivated enough it's just the worry about trying to do it while Lucy is around at is making me question what to do

Ive heard mixed reviews about DLC some peoples say the resources aren't good and the tutors give vague replies and dot explain properly but there's also academy online learning that I could go to instead. I really don't know

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->