Do BFPs take longer after D&C?

cliqmo

Reaction score
I had a MMC ending in a D&C a week or so ago and now I am spending my evenings looking up fertility and conception after a loss....

...it has me wondering whether it is likely to take longer to conceive after a D&C? Owing to the unnaturally thin uterine lining and the crazy hormones (with a natural miscarriage your hormones start falling naturally, instead of being forced?!)

Any advice or info much appreciated :flower:

I have been researching the same. Thanks for posting. Anyone know?

some people concieve right away..and you will find that some dr's say to wait 2-3mos to build the uterine lining back up and others say go for, that if your body is meant to hold the pregnancy then it will.
I had a d&c almost 8mos ago and after my first period returned in sept, we tried right away instead of listening to the dr and i ended up in another m/c.
It's all in what you can handle, I believe.
I know of someone else who had a d&c right before me and got pregnant right away and carried full term and delivered in feb. Opinions vary.
good luck and sorry for your loss

I know a lot of women who got preggo in a matter of WEEKS after a d&c- I don't think it makes a difference unless there was some sort of complication.. which could happen either way. If anything- your body gets back on track sooner.

It took me 2-3 cycles with my first pregnancy as well as the one after my d&c. I don't think it affected anything.

sometimes it can take longer becos with d & c u may have been further along,i had a complete mc and concieved 3 weeks later so it can happen very quickly after xx

Hey hope you don't mind me popping in :flower:
I had a D&C in August following a MMC, waited a month then got BFP on the second cycle in October 2011. One of my friends who went through the same just before me got pregnant within a similar time frame also. My consultant said there was no reason TTC may take longer after a D&C and I was happy to believe her!

Good luck xx

sometimes it can take longer becos with d & c u may have been further along,i had a complete mc and concieved 3 weeks later so it can happen very quickly after xx

Hey Babyhopes2010 we were pregnant at the same time before and I recall you have the trouble a few weeks before I did. I am so so so so so so so pleased to read you are preggars and doing well again now!! Woop woop!! xx

Hey hope you don't mind me popping in :flower:
I had a D&C in August following a MMC, waited a month then got BFP on the second cycle in October 2011. One of my friends who went through the same just before me got pregnant within a similar time frame also. My consultant said there was no reason TTC may take longer after a D&C and I was happy to believe her!

Good luck xx

Mind??? I am delighted to hear your good news!! Thank you for sharing the positive story!! xx

since I had my MMC at the begining of the year loads of people seem to have come out of the woodwork who have had them too and i mean loads, MMC & MC, everyone seems to be saying the same thing within 3/4 mths they were PG again and had full term pregnancies.

There is a new study out that says people who get PG within 6 mths of MC statistically go on to have H&H 9 mths than those who leave it longer xxx

I got pregnant with my son my first cycle after my D&C, and I had a perfect, easy pregnancy with him. I tried for years to get pregnant the first time, and when I lost that pregnancy at 12 weeks, I was sure it would take forever again. Yet I was pregnant again right away....

Catherine - sorry if this is a stupid question but do you mean that you fell pregnant straight away - i.e before you had AF or you first cycle trying after AF returned..?

xx

In my personal experience, it took me 6 long months to get :bfp: again after my D&C. This was after conceiving the first month we tried the first time.

After my chemical, I got pregnant again immediately (but lost that one too, sadly.)

I'm not sure why there was such a delay after my D&C.

i had my d&c on december 14th and got my bfp on Feb 28th. It was after one AF.
Sadly, im currently m/c. It is reassuring that i am able to GET pregnant...i just wish one of them would stick!

Im crossing my fingers for you!!!
Good luck :) :) :)

Hi Cliqmo
I am also in Dorset (Dorchester) :) Isn't it lovely and sunny here.

I had a D&C for a mmc at 8 weeks in Nov last year. I got a major infection a few days afterwards and was antibiotics for another 4 weeks. Although we started ttc after the first cycle in Jan - I felt as if my body was not ready (due to the infection and recurring UTI). Then to my shock I got my BFP on Feb 12th (2 and a half months after D&C) - we were actively ttc and making a real effort but it was still a lovely surprise! I asked my EPAU consultant (Liz at DCH) whether it was too soon, and she said it did not matter - just a good idea that we waited till after the first cycle.

I would say the major things we got right were:
Staying really relaxed and positive during ttc period
Going back to gym and exercising to get endorphins going
Having sex every other day a week before ovulation and then on day of ovulation
Using pre-seed lubricant helped as I was taking cranberry supplements for a UTI that dried me up a bit
Drinking grapefruit juice

I think the key thing is timing sex right and staying happy and positive (if you can). My sister was also ttc for 8 months due to progesterone problems and was getting quite low. She went on holiday to Marrakesh and came back pregnant! She is now 25 weeks in.

Take care xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->