Do colds take longer to go away when pregnant?

Coco Tutu

Reaction score
I am just curious. I feel like my immune system only cares about the little one in my belly and doesn't bother much about me. I have turned into a host body :D

Here is the cold story:
DH started feeling unwell on Friday, had a sore throat and congestion. By Saturday evening, I got sick as well. Already on Sunday he was feeling much better, but I have no improvement. He took no pills at all. Today I decided to take 2 paracetamol pastilles every 6 hours, as my midwife recommended that, when I had a similar nasty cold at 12 weeks pregnant.
I am drinking nettle tea, hot water with honey and lemon, gargling with salt water, eating clementines and drinking pomegranate juice, in an attempt to speed things up a bit.

Have you ladies noticed that the healing process takes longer when pregnant? (and I don't mean because we can't get any of the "real" drugs out there. I was never a fan of pills anyway.)

Yes I have had 2 or 3 colds caught from DD which seems to have lasted about 2 weeks (just at the tail end of one now), I think it does take longer when you are pregnant to shift them :( Hope you feel better soon :flower:

Yes I have had 2 or 3 colds caught from DD which seems to have lasted about 2 weeks (just at the tail end of one now), I think it does take longer when you are pregnant to shift them :( Hope you feel better soon :flower:

Wow! 2 weeks! My first trimester one lasted only one week and I kind of hopped this one would go this way too, as my best friend is coming in two days from Greece to see me :happydance:

But I guess with your DD to care for, it was harder for you to rest as well. Fortunately, so far I can take it easy. I hope you won't catch another one!

Absolutely! I, too, had a cold around Christmas of this year that lasted over 2 weeks. My colds usually last a couple days when not pregnant. It's horrible to be pregnant and sick! Just keep treating your symptoms and drinking lots.

Absolutely! I, too, had a cold around Christmas of this year that lasted over 2 weeks. My colds usually last a couple days when not pregnant. It's horrible to be pregnant and sick! Just keep treating your symptoms and drinking lots.

thanks for your reply twokiddos. I am sorry that you too caught a cold :/
Argh... I guess I just have to be patient with this one.

I only had one cold and it ran the same course as everyone else in town who got it. 2 bad days, and a few extra to get it completely out of our systems. Must just depend on the cold.

Hope everyone feels better soon.

I only had one cold and it ran the same course as everyone else in town who got it. 2 bad days, and a few extra to get it completely out of our systems. Must just depend on the cold.

Hope everyone feels better soon.

aaah! That gives me some hope! As I said, my first one, that had the same symptoms as this one, lasted a few days. So you are probably right and it depends on the pathogen as well.

I've had a cold-with totally congested sinuses, coughing, not able to sleep properly etc for the last 3 weeks and had similar last time around, being pregnant in the winter is a bad idea!

I've had about three colds since being pregnant (thanks to my son!) and they have taken so much longer to get rid of. The main symptoms go away but I just seem to be left with niggling things for ages like a sore throat etc. I think it's because our immune system gets severely depleted during pregnancy (happy days!)

Have you tried manuka honey and lemon? That always seems to help me. Hope you feel better soon x

I've had a cold-with totally congested sinuses, coughing, not able to sleep properly etc for the last 3 weeks and had similar last time around, being pregnant in the winter is a bad idea!

oh I am so sorry you are going through this :/ :hugs:

I've had about three colds since being pregnant (thanks to my son!) and they have taken so much longer to get rid of. The main symptoms go away but I just seem to be left with niggling things for ages like a sore throat etc. I think it's because our immune system gets severely depleted during pregnancy (happy days!)

Have you tried manuka honey and lemon? That always seems to help me. Hope you feel better soon x

I drink hot water with honey (not manuka though. I will look for this one!) and lemon throughout this pregnancy instead of coffee. Let's hope it has boosted my immune system somewhat and I will be able to breathe soon.

Time for bed for me. Get well soon ladies!

I'm currently on day 7 of a sinus cold!!
Ergh usually only ill for a few days I reckon pregnancy slows recovery of colds

Aw sorry to hear you're sick coco! :hugs: And especially when your best friend is coming to visit!

I guess it makes sense that it might take a little longer for our pregnant bodies to get better when we're ill. Our bodies are hard at work making a mini human after all! I've been lucky not to get any colds but have felt colds/sinus issues coming on and have managed to stop them early on. I think what's helped me is lots of vitamin c (carrot juice for the win!) and the nasopure. The nasopure is my best friend when it comes to colds, allergies and sinus infections. And don't forget to get lots of rest.

Feel better soon :hugs:

I wanted to add that I was able to stay away from meds for the congestion by putting some medicated lip balm on. There's a menthol-like smell that really helped me open my sinuses. Vicks vapor rub on your chest or under your nose at night may help too. Definitely patients is key with colds during pregnancy. And everything seems to last forever when your sick, pregnant and uncomfortable. Hope you feel better soon!!!

Yes, it can take longer for you to get over a bug when you are pregnant. This is because your immune system takes a slight dive while you are expecting and it can drop even more just before birth. But some women don't find any differences in getting sick and some lucky ones find they get less sick. I tend not to get colds or anything while pregnant but if I do, I get SICK. I'm laid up for days. And I'm highly highly HIGHLY susceptible to skin irritants, most especially poison ivy. If I get the poison ivy rash while pregnant, I'll have to suffer til I'm not pregnant. Nothing works. Not the lotions, creams, prescriptions, soaps, essential oils. Nothing. I itch and scratch til I deliver. Like I did with DD. Got poison ivy in June and was still dealing with the rash when I delivered at the end of Sept. Come summertime this year, I'm not going near the stuff at all. Not even wearing rubber boots, rubber gloves, and a hazmat suit.

Yes it can take longer to feel better. Pregnant women are more prone to getting sick, but as long as you eat healthy, avoid all processed sugar(it suppresses the immune system). It will work it's way thru;)

Thank you all ladies for sharing your experiences with colds and for sharing your advice as well!

It turns out that I am quite lucky, as today I am feeling much much better! I almost feel stupid for complaining for a three-day cold, but as you all know, it is really uncomfortable, especially during the night.

Today I can breathe (well, not freely, but without the need for vapor rub/ salt water etc) and my throat does not hurt any more. I slept really early yesterday and I consistently took paracetamol every 6 hours, as the midwife advised. I think that by tomorrow, that my friend will be here, I will be even better.

What helped me a lot was to use two pillows and sleep with my head elevated. I think this allowed me to breathe a bit better and actually rest during the night.

Again, thank you for all your get-well wishes and wisdom :)

im on week 3 of mine, started out as a cold, then turned in to the flu and icouldnt leave my bed...now its turned in to sinisitus alll over my face, it is awful, my face is pounding, im on antibiotics for it, iv just finished getting my head out of a bowl of steam,

im on week 3 of mine, started out as a cold, then turned in to the flu and icouldnt leave my bed...now its turned in to sinisitus alll over my face, it is awful, my face is pounding, im on antibiotics for it, iv just finished getting my head out of a bowl of steam,

awww that sounds terrible :/
I can't even imagine how it is to be unable to breathe for so long.

That said, I have to get prepared, because in a month or two it will be hay fever season :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->