Do i have a choice?

Tia Maria

Mummy & Pregnant
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight.
I'm pregnant with my third child and I had to have a C-section for both my children.
The first time because my body shut down and didn't respond to labour, the second because they figured it would go the same way and didn't want to stress the baby out. I wasn't happy but I figured they knew what they were talking about lol

Anyway, I went to the doctor this morning for my first appointment and she said i'll have to have another because of having 2 previously.
I was wondering, do I have a choice in this? Can I push for a natural birth?

I'm sure I've heard of women having natural births after having multiple C-sections.
So if anyone could give me some insight or some advice I would greatly appreciate it.
I hope you are all well :)

xXx

You don't have to have any medical procedure done that you do not consent to. You have the right to disregard any advice given and birth how you choose to and receive the same care as anyone else.

Pretty sure it is the same in all developed countries :).

Depends where you live. In BC, Canada they will allow a vba2c. If you live in the USA there are hospitals that flat out refuse vbacs let alone a vba2c. Be proactive and find a doctor and hospital that will support your decision early on.

Id ask around. You should be allowed to attempt it unless they prove it would be a huge risk for you/baby.

it depends on your hospital and even sometimes your ob/consultant. A lot of places flat out refuse to do vbac let along a vba2c. If you can look around and be picky i would do that hun and find someone who supports your want to try for a natural :hugs: xx

I've had two previous csections, when I saw the midwife she pretty much said the same thing. I won't be offered to vbac atall this time.

It depends on your location. Many US hospitals are too tied up in insurance liability to allow for a vbac after only 1 cesarean and won't even hear of it after 2. But if you look around, you may be able to find one, or perhaps a birthing center that will allow you. Also, finding a midwife for a home birth is an option.

I am also pregnant with #3 and want a vba2c. My first cesarean was at nearly 42 weeks and the baby was frank breech, sunny-side up, with low fluid (it had been a normal level until we were so many days overdue). Especially being a first time mom, my doctor really pushed for the cesarean for the safety of the baby and for avoiding a potential emergency cesarean later if the baby got stuck. I agreed, and still agree, with his suggestion.

The second one, however, I do not agree with. I was going for a vbac, but there is only one hospital within a two hour drive that will allow it. The doctors group that delivers at that hospital have a rule in place that I do not agree with. Their rule is that they induce labor on any pregnancy that reaches the 41 week mark. Even though all tests and ultrasounds showed that the baby was perfectly healthy and happy in there, they were not willing to allow me to go overdue any further. I was afraid that if I refused the cesarean, that they'd drop me as a patient and that late in the game, I didn't think I could find another doctor, especially one who would do a vbac. So against what I knew was best, I let it happen.

This time, I'm looking away from hospitals altogether and into home birth. I've found two separate midwifery groups who work in my area and am going to have interviews soon to decide on a group. The only hold-back right now if finding an OB's office for back-up (or parallel) care. Having backup care is the safest way of doing a home birth because it gives you someone who is already familiar with your health history in case a complication arises, during labor or during the pregnancy itself. If I can't find backup care, I will have to continue seeing an OB here, who will not be okay whatsoever with my homebirth plan and who will not sign off on it.

Not all women have backup care, but I feel I can't go without it because if the extra risk factor of the previous cesareans, even though statistically, it's safer to have the vba2c than go under the knife again.

I agree it depends where you live, ultimately the decision should lie with you

I'm in the UK and I was flatly told I had no option for a natural birth after 2 cesareans as it was too dangerous to me and the baby.

I'm UK too and pg with 2nd, 1st delivered by cs and docs/midwife 50/50 about another cs vs vbac. But if I choose vbac, then any other children would need to be cs. Hope you find someone who supports what you want. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->