do I have an infection?

mouse_chicky

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out if I might have a breast infection. I've had frequent chills, on and off fever, and just one spot of my left breast, the lower part of the boob, not the nipple, is really sore. I don't feel any lumps. I don't think it's all that engorged, allow I just got over major engorgement in both breasts a few days ago.
However, there're no cracks or redness or pus so I'm not sure.

Breastfeeding has been so much harder this time and more painful. I've been trying to improve lo's latch but he likes to chomp on my nipples before I can stop him.

Thanks in advance. :flower:

I never had a lump either with mastitis, just a red spot and I felt awful. Fever, body aches, chills...

You could try heat and massage to the area, but if you're having flu-like symptoms then it's likely already infected. Best to go see a doctor.

Either way, try to nurse on that side a lot to try and flush it out.

I've had mastitis 4 times now and only once was there a noticeable lump. I've had the red blotch each time, though - can you see a spot near the pain that looks a bit red and is warm to the touch? Mine usually showed up a good 12 or more hours after I started showing symptoms (fever, chills, body aches, localized breast pain). How long have you been feeling ill/have you felt the pain?

Thanks for replying ladies.

I'm feeling better today, no fever or chills, but now that I looked closer, the area is a bit red and warm. Massaging it seems to help some. Also, I'm making sure to nurse on that side every time. I don't think my doctor will be back in town until next Monday. Is this urgent, should I go to a med express, or can I just keep an eye on it for a few days and see if it goes away on its own?

I've needed antibiotics 3/4 times, so I personally would play it safe and go in. There's a chance it could clear up on its own but it can get nasty pretty fast. I'd try to nip it in the bud before it potentially escalates.

I agree. I tried alternate measures for 12 hours or so but to no avail.

I think you girls are right. My fever came back even higher. I forgot to mention that this started 2 days ago. I definitely don't want to get an absess.

It is mastitis. I went to the doctor. They gave me antibiotics so I'm hoping it clears up soon.

Antibiotics should have you feeling almost completely back to normal within 48 hours. :) I'm glad you went in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->