Do I NEED to buy a baby monitor?

RandaPanda

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

We've nearly completed our shopping list, and have a TON of stuff for LO. But I still haven't bought a monitor yet. My MIL mentioned that we probably don't even need one, and now I'm wondering if that's the case. Until now, money hasn't been an issue, but we just found out that DH's company is laying everyone off for the winter because work slows down so much during the cold weather. If I can avoid spending more money, I'd like to.

The baby will be sleeping in a bassinet right beside our bed for the first several months, and will nap in his pack n' play when we're on the main floor of our house. The house is quite small and old too, so I can hear everything from any room usually.

What do you think? Should I get the monitor for peace of mind, or skip it? I could always wait and get it later if we see a need for it, I guess...

I had one given as a gift but never used the monitor until my daughter moved into her own room at about 6 months.

I reckon you will be fine without one for a good few months :) x

Just wait, there will be plenty of time to buy one later if you feel you need it. You definitely don't need it right away when baby is sleeping next to you. I never used mine at night since we are all on the same floor, just in the evening when I'm downstairs and baby is up.

I only use it when lo is in bed in the evening and we're in the living room watching tv.

When we go to bed I can hear her in the next room just fine on my own.

For me it's an absolute must have.
Even now!
We have a video monitor and I have to say it's one of the things I couldn't be without even for 1 night.
Everyone is different though my friend never had one for either of her boys.
I guess it depends on how nervous you are. For me being able to take a quick peep at lo on the monitor is invaluable.

Haha, you can tell I'm a FTM because I just assumed I'd never get a moment to watch TV or anything...I thought maybe DH and I would just flop into bed as soon as LO went down for the night :haha: Maybe I'll get a cheaper one, just for those times when I'm still up at night and downstairs. Thanks for the advice, ladies!

I didn't think I needed one when my son was born, and skipped it. After just a couple nights at home, I decided I HAD to have one. So a trip to the store and I bought a video monitor. BEST. THING. EVER.

Admittedly, when the baby is sleeping next to you, it's not used. But any time I put him in another room--for a nap, or whatever (you never know if you're going to have a fussy baby who doesn't like sleeping in the living room), it was invaluable to be able to look on that monitor and see that he was okay still sleeping or whatever. We still use a video monitor for my son, and he is two. Fantastic for nap time OR bed time, to see if he's still in his bed and actually asleep or not without disturbing him.

Now that I'm pregnant with my daughter, I went out and bought a new one--this one with TWO video cameras. So that way I can keep an eye out on both kids when/if they are in different rooms.

We didn't go for a fancy expensive model that lets you check them over the internet or anything like that. The new one I found on sale for $78. It only broadcasts in the house within a certain range.

I've never gotten one and won't get one this time around. I live in a single story home though, and baby is staying in my room at first. I've just never needed one.

Untill baby goes in their own room I think you'll be fine, I guess it depends on house size etc though, we live on three floors so we will be getting one from day one so if I'm cooking in the kitchen for instance while baby sleeps in the lounge in his basket, then I can here if he crys on the monitor :)

I live on three floors and still heard ds before the monitor picked him up and he was always louder than the monitor so we stopped using it.
Xx

We used the video ones with DD and in all honesty they made me feel at ease that I could still see baby while in another room so will definitely be doing the same this time around.x

I am also a fan of video monitors. We bought one after dd was in her own room, simply because I walked in one night to check on her and she was face down into the mattress. Once she mastered turning over she used to face plant on her mattress which scared the life out of me. I ended up getting hardly any sleep as I was constantly nipping in to check on her. With the video monitor a quick glance was all it took to reassure me she was ok. It still comes in handy now dd is 2 so I can keep an eye on her xx

It also helped when we were doing sleep training, so I could see that she was ok in her cot when crying, and didn't have an arm or leg stuck through the bars or whatever!

I have zero anxiety about stuffl like that so I'm guessing it's all very personal xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->