Do I really need all of this?

BrandiCanucks

Mommy of 4, WTT
Reaction score
My midwife gave me a list of what I need for a homebirth. I'm planning a water birth. This is the list she gave me, and I'm wondering if there is anything missing or things I can omit.

4-6 clean old towels
1 roll of paper towel
1 thermometer
2 laundry hampers or large boxes lined with garbage bags for garbage and laundry
8 clean washcloths and 1 large bowl
2 plastic picnic tablecloths with flannel backing to protect your mattress
An extra set of clean top and bottom sheets for bed
1 large container for placenta
1 flashlight
1 heating pad
1 package maxi pads
Clothes, diapers, receiving blankets and a warm cap for baby
An extra 4-6 towels for water birth

Sounds reasonable. It's not like you HAVE to have any of it, the baby is going to come out even if you don't but the stuff on the list sounds useful and the MW probably has a system going for how she does things which saves her having to cast about for things at the time of the birth. My MW couldn't find the spare sheets that were "somewhere in the cupboard" after LO was born. I was exausted after a 38hr labour and had to stay on my back because of heavy bleeding. Plus I was busy having cuddles with LO and couldn't remember where I had put stuff. Next time I'd be a bit more organised and lay it all out for her to see :).

That sounds like a very useful list. And I agree with Bunny. Having this stuff ready will safe you and the MW a ton of hassle later.

Yes, I'd say that sounds about right. You might also think of some bed mats (like what you put on kids bed's if they might wet the bed, but they sell them for maternity use as well) and you could probably get away without the large boxes for laundry, etc. I think my midwives just brought big plastic bags (like the kind you'd fill with leaves after raking). I certainly didn't have bins to hold them and that worked fine. Someone just stuck the sheets and towels (the ones I planned to keep) straight in the washing machine. Also, the thermometer probably should be a bath thermometer (like you'd use for a baby bath), one that floats and tells the water temp.

Plus, think about things you want for YOU as well. That's stuff for her to use. But you might want a comfy change of clothes, a fluffy robe (this was great), snacks for you (and partner/midwives), drinks for you (coconut water is great), straws for your cup, candles, essential oils, music, etc. Whatever you feel would make it nice and special and set the atmosphere.

So definitely 12-ish towels for water birth? Thankfully, my bed already comes with a leak proof cover, so not worried there.

What would the flashlight be useful for, and does it have to be the big one, or can it be one of the small dollar store ones?

Chances are you won't use all the towels but if you are getting in and out of the pool you could get through quite a few. You won't want to be having to be careful about not sloshing water around or where to find a dry towel. I Used about 5 towels at LO's birth and it wasnt a water birth.

I agree disposible bed protector pads are very useful.

The MW wanted me to have a thermometer to check the babies temperature after it was born to make sure she was maintaining her body heat.

Flashlight will be for checking your dilation and for if you need stitches I suspect. Although my midwife had a head torch (now there's an image that stays with you!)

Yup. I told my midwife today that I definitely wanted a water birth at home and she gave me a very similar list. She said it was always best to be prepared when at home just in case I needed to get out of the tub to give birth. Best to have all areas nearby protected and ready.

I've heard a plastic sieve is essential for a water birth!

Glad I found this thread! We're supposed to get our list of things to get together next week, so it's good to know what's on a usual list.

Has anyone had a different list for a home birth out of the water? I might take a bath at some point, but a water birth and the pool have no appeal to me! (Trying to talk the MW out of even bringing the pool.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->