Do Kids have a growth at 8 years ?

sabby52

Mother, Nanny
Reaction score
For the past few days Dec has been eating me out of house and home :wacko: He has a hot meal in school at 1pm which he eats all of, when he gets home at 3.30pm he will have a snack, maybe 4 ham sandwiches, a yoghurt, some fruit, crisps and a biscuit, at 5.30-6pm he will have his dinner, today he had 2 massive bowls of stew, at 7.30pm he is asking for a snack something like croissants, a graze box snack and a yoghurt then before bed at 9pm he is asking for a bowl of cereal :wacko: On Monday I got a phone call from his drama teacher telling me he was very upset as he had finished his snack (4 ham and cheese sandwiches, a box of raisins and a cereal bar) and was still hungry and wanted to go home, drama is from 5.30-7pm, at 4.00pm before drama he had a huge slice of lasagne, when we got home at 6.15pm he devoured a massive slice of cottage pie and a pile of mash :shrug:

He has never been a massive eater and I am just wondering if they have a growth about now or maybe his eating habits are just changing :shrug:

That's a lot of food! DD is also 8 and is always asking for more to eat and I have to watch how much she's eating because if I let her she'd eat herself sick. One sandwich and an apple for example is all I'd allow her to eat in one sitting for lunch. When she snacks I only offer fruit. Drinks, water. That way she can fill her stomach without consuming a lot of calories. There are times she complains but I let her complain. If you're really concerned and I would be too, I'd make an appointment with the dr.

If he is hungry and asks for food then I will give him some, 80% of what he eats is healthy so I dont worry to much. He does a lot of afterschool activities and I am starting to wonder if he just needs the extra food, he never stops, drama, football, judo, swimming so maybe he is so active he just needs it, although he has been doing these activities for a year or 2 now and it is only recently his appetite has changed.
TBH I wouldnt feel comfortable refusing food if he really needs it plus at his age I dont even think about his calorie intake yet.

Thank you, I think if it does continue I may may an appointment with his doc :)

I don't have any boys but I hear they eat more than girls do when they're growing. My brother ate a ton growing up! It's possible he may be going through a growth spurt. Top it off with how active he is. I do think still being hungry after 4 sandwiches and some crisps in one sitting is a lot.

When you say 4 ham sandwiches, do you mean a sandwich cut in four or full sandwiches? I don't want to misunderstand. But anyway, I think it's normal him him to be really hungry at his age.

I don't remember with J as he ate A LOT regularly but the last few days K (almost 6) has been eating like crazy lol she had two packages of oat meal, two yogurts, a banana and a roll for supper and was still asking for more :haha: and she's not a big eater in general. I figure it must be a growth spurt!

I'm also curious about the sandwiches. I'd personally let him eat. As long as what he is having is healthy. I know I have days when I eat next to nothing but other days I don't stop eating. Has he been poorly recently? My two ( who are 4 and 1) eat loads when they have recovered from being poorly.

Four full sandwiches, he doesnt eat the crusts so I guess its not really full sandwiches lol.
He done the same again yesterday, had his dinner in school, chicken curry and rice (he had seconds) and cake with custard at 1pm, at 3.30pm he had a graze box snack, a yoghurt (a double one with fruit in one side and yoghurt in the other so quite big), 2 rounds of Veda bread and a biscuit then at 6pm he had his dinner, chicken nuggets (6) and mash with gravy at 7.30pm he had a bowl of cereal (2 weetibixs) then at 9pm when I was putting him to bed he complained of being hungry so he had some toast with ham and cheese. He has always had bowel problems which have just recently started to get sorted so i wonder if maybe thats why he is eating more, maybe I will just make an appointment with his doc to get him checked.

Thanks ladies xx

4 full sandwiches? :shock: I do understand having the crust cut off makes them smaller though. I'd speak to your doctor and see what they think though, I know boys can really EAT EAT EAT when they do have growth spurts!

That's a lot of food. However I notice on your photos of Dec the other day how much he has changed recently. He looks very different, more older boy than little boy iykwim? I think it's probably him changing xx

Dec is 8 already o_O. wow. that means Dan is 18 right wow. time flies xD.

I wouldn't worry too much it will even out i think,
Both my oldest two; 11yr old boy and 8 yr old girl are going through growth spurts and are eating us out of house and home! Think it may be the cooler weather too!!

Thank you so much everyone, he is still eating like a horse :haha: I have made an appointment with the doctor just to get him checked over, he has always been such a petite little thing and because of his bowel problems he never gained much weigh and the weight that he did gain would fall off once his problem flared up, he is 8 years old and has never made it over the 3 stone mark, although he hasnt been weighed in about 5-6 months so I am guessing he may have put a little on with all the eating he has been doing, plus his bowel problem has really settled now and he doesnt take meds anymore so maybe this is just him making up for all the eating he missed out on :haha::haha:

Thanks again to everyone who took time to reply :kiss:

Let us know how the doctors goes Hun xx

Had him at the doctors on Friday, the doctor seemed a bit amused with the fact I was bring him because he was eating to much, he said its usually they aren't eating enough :haha:

He weighed him, done his height and said everything was fine (I am fuming that I forgot to ask his weight, we dont have scales in or house so he doesnt get weighed often :dohh: ) He said that if any other problems arise other than eating more than usual then he will do some blood tests, dont want to put him through bloods unless completely necessary as his little veins are so tiny they keep collapsing and he has to go to the childrens hospital to get them done. So at the minute he is putting it down to a better appetite due to his bowel problems being sorted, he has also grown 4cms so maybe a growth as well.

Thank you for all your advise ladies :kiss:

Glad the doctor didn't seem concerned :) I don't blame you for not wanting bloods drawn if his veins are like that :( I wouldn't want to put him through it either. He's a growing boy and must need the extra food at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->