Do sibling names have to match?

LoveCakes

Reaction score
My lg is Phoebe, we both just loved it and it really suits her.

Most of the names we like Abagail, Eva etc... Are 'English' but I'm in Northern Ireland. I have an Irish name and would like one of my LO to have an Irish name too. We're on the fence about a third baby so it's maybe now or never. Also oh likes the Irish names we've discussed

Thing is though it would jar with Los names where's an English name wouldn't so much. How much does this matter?

my twin is named Megan so were Megan and Sara. definitely not matching, thank goodness. honestly, I don't think it matters and I was always grateful my mother didn't give us matching names. My sister however named her son Mason and her husband was Jason.... It's cute, sort of.

I dont think they have to match. But I HAVE to have my kids names flow well together.

Right now we have a Lauryn and a Noah. If baby #3 is a girl, we're 99% sure that we'll be using Stella. Boys are a bit trickier. We like Max, but Max alone just sounds lazy. I think Maxten flows with the other kids names, but my husband isnt crazy about it. He likes Maxwell, but it just doesnt flow to me. :shrug:

So no to matching, yes to flowing for me. I just keep thinking, if Im talking about all of the kids and use their names instead of "the kids" it needs to sound nice together. :haha:

I lik max :thumb up:

Mine r Kasper, Leo and Logan so kinda want a k or l name lol or fab boy name is a L but no idea on girls lol x

Not at all! It's totally personal choice. I don't think people notice/question name origins too much, kids are named after countries and food and all sorts these days :shrug: If you're worried about them sounding too different and maybe try looking for an Irish name with a similar initial sound.

We have Isabella :)angel:), Amelia, Oliver and (soon!) Eleanor.
(Izzy, Mia, Ollie and Ella)
They sort of match I suppose. They all start with vowels :haha: (not originally intentional).

I'm super weird about this and it really bothers me when sibling names aren't the same style. :haha:

For example, I have a friend who named her first kid a completely made-up name and then named her second arguably the most popular girl's name of all-time, and they don't "go together" AT ALL! Obviously they don't care but it would bug me forever...like having a permanently slightly crooked photo on my wall. :haha:

But I don't think most people feel as strongly as I do about it and if you don't care then it's a good thing because it frees up any and every name that you might like instead of being stuck in one style.

I'm super weird about this and it really bothers me when sibling names aren't the same style. :haha:

For example, I have a friend who named her first kid a completely made-up name and then named her second arguably the most popular girl's name of all-time, and they don't "go together" AT ALL! Obviously they don't care but it would bug me forever...like having a permanently slightly crooked photo on my wall. :haha:

But I don't think most people feel as strongly as I do about it and if you don't care then it's a good thing because it frees up any and every name that you might like instead of being stuck in one style.

I feel like this too. I want my children's names to flow well together and it would annoy the bejesus out of me if it didn't every time I called then down for tea hahaha.

I personally couldn't care less if sibling names 'flow' together. I say name your kid whatever you like! My sister and I have very common names (Ashley and Jessica) and my other sister has a very uncommon name in Canada (Ailish). I can't say that my upbringing was at all affected because Ailish's name didn't 'go' with our names!

I personally would like them to go together but that wouldn't necessarily mean they have to have the same background or heritage just simply based upon their pronounciation. My oldest and youngest have typical English names but our middle has a Welsh name and that doesn't bother me.

I agree with pp though I have a friend with two very traditional English boy names and yet their third has s made up girls name which makes no sense to me

I feel like this too. I want my children's names to flow well together and it would annoy the bejesus out of me if it didn't every time I called then down for tea hahaha.

I'm with you ladies. I think my kids have quite plain names that go together well. I can't imagine naming the next baby something really far out or super duper modern and whacky.

I think they need to flow well together and be of a similar style.

We struggled on styling a bit. I like Nature themed girl names (Wren, Willow, Rowan etc) whereas my OH hated them (he took the pee and started choosing ridiculous alternatives like Oak and Swallow!) - he liked really plain traditional girls names like Lucy, Katie etc.

Boys names were hard too, he liked way out there names like Felix and Sebastian, I didn't really like any boys names.

We finally decided on Gracie which I think is quite easy to match. I already have my boys name if #2 is a boy (Reuben) which I think goes well. If #2 is a girl I like Robyn which I also think goes with Gracie.

I know someone who has a girl called Sarah and another called Aurora. Not cool!

No, I dont think they have too. Especially in bigger age gaps. Who really cares what others think if they dont match? I choose names I like and thats that.

I don't think so either. Childhood is a tiny portion of their lives and that's really when they belong to a sibling set.

Mine are Morgan, Naomi, Honey, Kaysie, Riley and Orion. I don't think they match.

I don't think my 3 match really: Nancy, Astrid and Dominic. I think it's a bit odd when there are 2 very similar names (like Lacey and Kacey or something!) but other than that anything goes ;)

I wouldn't want to use names that were so different it sounded like different people had named the children. I don't think mixing Irish and English names is a big deal unless it would be difficult for people to pronounce or spell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->