Do you cloth nappy/diaper when camping?

minties

Complete
Reaction score
Trying to decide what to do for a 3 day camping trip + 12-14 hours of driving. Either way, I guess I will be dragging home a sack of yucky nappies?

We didn't.

We went camping for 4 nights and didn't fancy dragging back 5 days worth of dirty nappies with me + having the space for all those nappies was a bit tight.

We just used sposies.

Yeah I used disposable if it's longer than a night. I wouldn't have had enough water to wash the poop off so they would have been really gross by the time we got home.

We are going to a farm so there will be water. I'm not leaving them with the disposables in their rubbish as that seems a bit rude maybe?

I kinda want to show off that I use cloth, as dumb as that sounds. I'm proud of myself for it. It's a family reunion and many people I have never met, it's the 100th year of meeting at the farm.

Maybe I'll do half and half.

We didn't and we were actually cloth diapering at that time. This was when Violet was 8 months old. We were back-woods camping and had to hike in to our spot. If it was more nights, cloth may have been better. The way I saw it, a disposable diaper takes up less room than a cloth diaper, whether wet or dry. So, on a short trip, packing disposables saves room. On a long trip, however, it can actually save room to pack cloth since you can wash and re-use them whereas with disposables, you just keep building up wet and dirty ones and have to have enough to last the trip.

I just read that you'll be on a farm, so not really camping. Do you also have access to a washing machine there? When I used cloth, I sometimes used cloth while visiting family and sometimes used disposables when visiting family.

It will be camping, we are not going into the house at all. It will be a tent, sleeping bags, one source of water and pooing into a hole in the ground lol! And no electricity, so gas stove and all that stuff. Not sure how one defines camping but that sounds like it to me.

If they let everyone into the house to use the facilities it would be a nightmare I expect, so no washing machine.

I don't even know the people so wouldn't ask anyway but I imagine if I used it then the other 100+ people would want to as well.

I could hand wash under a tap maybe?

It will be camping, we are not going into the house at all. It will be a tent, sleeping bags, one source of water and pooing into a hole in the ground lol! And no electricity, so gas stove and all that stuff. Not sure how one defines camping but that sounds like it to me.

If they let everyone into the house to use the facilities it would be a nightmare I expect, so no washing machine.

I don't even know the people so wouldn't ask anyway but I imagine if I used it then the other 100+ people would want to as well.

I could hand wash under a tap maybe?

Huh, ok then. Yeah, you could perhaps hand-wash under a tap if a suitable one is available. Hand wash and line dry? Sounds like too much work to me. I'd take disposables. It might be "camping," but it's car-camping (right?), so you don't have to worry too much about packing things in and out. But then again... if you don't have to worry too much about packing things in and out, maybe you want to do cloth. If you're not truly packing things in and out (car-camping), then I guess it's just a matter of your preference...

I'd take BG Flips, or any other covers that work well, a bunch of MF inserts, some bamboo, some terries, and fleece liners. I'd hand-wash every night if at all possible. Oh, and of course night nappies, but the bare minimum. I would love to see someone using cloth if I ran a farm that took campers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->