Do you have a milkman?

Amber4

Reaction score
If so how much milk does he deliver and how much does it cost you?

I pay £5.28 for 2 weeks and get 8 pints (4 a week) I know this is a lot compared to a supermarket. Just with it being a local farm I want to help out. I've studied Agriculture and know what it's like working on a farm... But I just wanna know if this is a lot or about right x

One comes into our estate but we don't use him. How do you even start? Just go out and say I want some milk? Lol. Would probs be cheaper in the long run even if he is dearer as the amount of times I go to Tesco at night just for LOs whole milk and buy £20 of crap and use petrol! May have to go and chat him up next time he's here. He has a proper milk float, not a van! X x

We used to have one think it cost us about £14 every two weeks but we had about 8 pints a week as well as fresh juices, keep saying I'm going to get one again :flower:

they do work out about the same , so i say support the local farms if you can! - also the eggs are a right bargain! x

One comes into our estate but we don't use him. How do you even start? Just go out and say I want some milk? Lol. Would probs be cheaper in the long run even if he is dearer as the amount of times I go to Tesco at night just for LOs whole milk and buy £20 of crap and use petrol! May have to go and chat him up next time he's here. He has a proper milk float, not a van! X x

You could ring the farm. Ours came and asked us as he only started a couple of months ago x

We don't use one but we do have one come down our road as i see him every morning i take my OH to work at 6am. I keep saying im going to sign up with him as my mum and dad had one years ago and i loved the milk seemed so fresh.

i dont use one, not when u can get 8pints in iceland for £2 :shrug:

We don't use one but we do have one come down our road as i see him every morning i take my OH to work at 6am. I keep saying im going to sign up with him as my mum and dad had one years ago and i loved the milk seemed so fresh.

My milks lovely. Always have fresh and don't run out as he delivers 3 x a week instead of a 4 Pinter :) x

Id normally agree with saving money where you have to nowadays, especially on food with everyone on such a small budget but knowing lots of farmers who farm milk, i know there is little profit in it and that these farmers need support these people need to eat too and nobody needs to drink so much milk that they have to buy it so cheaply, frankly id be happy to pay £1 a pint and only have it in my tea!....If it were up to me though all milk farms would sell milk raw at the gate / on their own float and we wouldn't have all this homogenized stuff anyway, but il save that rant for another day :lol:

ETA: however, i do know that not everyone can be conscious of this, im just a farming lass who likes to support the farmers hehe :lol:

I'm the same as you lucy_x :flower: Farms are struggling so much at the minute and really need the business. I buy any milk (if I have to) from Morrisons (as I believe they are the only supermarket that pay the fairest amount to farms?)

My milkman comes over 12 miles there and back to deliver my milk too! 3 x a week! I might see about eggs when he next comes for payment! x

Id normally agree with saving money where you have to nowadays, especially on food with everyone on such a small budget but knowing lots of farmers who farm milk, i know there is little profit in it and that these farmers need support these people need to eat too and nobody needs to drink so much milk that they have to buy it so cheaply, frankly id be happy to pay £1 a pint and only have it in my tea!....If it were up to me though all milk farms would sell milk raw at the gate / on their own float and we wouldn't have all this homogenized stuff anyway, but il save that rant for another day :lol:

ETA: however, i do know that not everyone can be conscious of this, im just a farming lass who likes to support the farmers hehe :lol:
In the US it's actually illegal to sell raw milk. I have never heard of a milkman (at least not any time I've been alive). Everyone here just gets it in the supermarket.

I'm the same as you lucy_x :flower: Farms are struggling so much at the minute and really need the business. I buy any milk (if I have to) from Morrisons (as I believe they are the only supermarket that pay the fairest amount to farms?)

My milkman comes over 12 miles there and back to deliver my milk too! 3 x a week! I might see about eggs when he next comes for payment! x

Morrisons are among the worst to pay the right price for milk, sometimes paying as little as 0.15p per litre. Asda, coop, sainsburys and tesco all pay around 30p per litre which is a little more fair, although IMO it should be more.

I dont suppose anyone can afford to shop organically online for fruit, veg cheese, milk and butter...But if they can, Able and coel pay the most amount to farmers at 0.74p per litre and Riverfords currently pay the farmer exactly what they receive (so 99p per litre!), and their milk is priced at the same as tescos for organic milk...Worth a thought anyway.

Its something im really passionate about, that and eating good meat! x x

In the US it's actually illegal to sell raw milk. I have never heard of a milkman (at least not any time I've been alive). Everyone here just gets it in the supermarket.

Its not illegal here, although the milk men would be from a bigger farm who pasteurize and stuff anyway, the actual selling of RAW milk in its purest form (i.e. straight from the udder) Is just not widely done, there is ALOT of testing required for it and sadly i don't think people like to buy it :(

I never knew that about Morrisons! Wonder why I thought that?? :dohh: yes, I also agree about meat!

Must admit though I wouldn't buy milk straight from an udder though if we could. My old teacher used to have milk that from her own farm and said it didn't taste the same - guess I was just put off x

I never knew that about Morrisons! Wonder why I thought that?? :dohh: yes, I also agree about meat!

Must admit though I wouldn't buy milk straight from an udder though if we could. My old teacher used to have milk that from her own farm and said it didn't taste the same - guess I was just put off x

Its probably because Morrisons do only buy produce from British farmers. so probably just got it confused.

She was right about the milk, it doesn't taste the same...It tastes better :D

yeh and im just someone with2kids and a bf tht wrks pt :shrug: guna save anywhere we can arent we ?x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->