Do you have plans to involve your kids in some sort of charity this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarahkka

Mama to Two Fine Boys!
Reaction score
I definitely want the xmas season to be more than just a present haul, so I am trying to find ways for my young boys to understand how important it is to be grateful, to think of others, and to give. I am a regular donor to Doctors without Borders and our playschool sponsors several families every year for food and gifts. I am looking for ideas for more possibilities that will be an action a 5- and 4-yr old will understand.
Any good stories out there for inspiration?
Any plans for something you are doing with your own kids this year?
:thumbup:

I'd like to do something similar when they're a wee bit older. For this year though we will buy and pop a toy or two into the cash for kids present collection at the local supermarket. The presents collected get distributes to kids who otherwise would get nothing in the local area.

Maybe find a scheme where you donate toys they've outgrown to charity? I'm not convinced Micah would understand this year but I from next year when he's three I'd like him twice help to choose some toys he no longer plays with to donate to less fortunate children. It has the added bonus of clearing some space in the house!

We take part in a scheme that sends shoeboxs of little gifts to a developing country. We are going to do it this week.

usually they have collections in local stores to buy and donate a toy so will get them to help me choose something to give.

Fill a cheap rucksack with warm socks, deodorant, toothpaste/brush, baby wipes, soap, a comb, a small towel or face cloth, some chocolate/biscuits etc. And get the kids to write a Christmas card. Then take it and give it to a homeless person. The rucksack means it can be used again but any bag would do really.

DS1's school is doing the shoe box appeal so we are doing that :thumbup:

Fill a cheap rucksack with warm socks, deodorant, toothpaste/brush, baby wipes, soap, a comb, a small towel or face cloth, some chocolate/biscuits etc. And get the kids to write a Christmas card. Then take it and give it to a homeless person. The rucksack means it can be used again but any bag would do really.

We did this last year, there are charities that collect and distribute them too. We packed a couple of rucksacks and put puzzle books and things in too.
We usually do the toy appeals too. I've got several shoeboxes laying about but I know there's controversy around Samaritan's Purse and (up until last year at least, not checked it out so far this season), alternative shoebox collections aren't available in my area yet.

Unfortunately we live in a neighbourhood where random acts of kindness are met with much suspicion :dohh: so we don't really do anything that doesn't involve going through official charities.

We take old (but immaculate) toys to donate to edinburgh sick kids hospital. Both of my kids have attended as outpatients so its close to home for us.

My son may not fully understand but I think its good to start at a young age so its normalised to give back. We donate to the food bank each week but its more personal to my son that he gives his toys and knows thats his contribution and he sees where they are going. X

We do this too. And often people adore talking to a child as it's somehow easier than talking to an adult. Your LO may be less nervous about this if you gift to a homeless person with a dog as they can interact with the dog first and it feels a bit safer. If you do this then pet food is definitely a good idea!

We also do shoe boxes, and LO bakes presents for people we don't buy for, like OH's uncle and grandparents. I really wanted to take him to help out in a shelter but they don't allow children for health and safety reasons apparently.

Our church does adopt a family so we'll be doing that. We'll probably donate a toy to the collection bins outside stores they have, donate to the Salvation Army bell ringers that sit outside stores and to the CHOW bin at church as well. Every year we also do a toy/clothing clean out in early December where we donate a bunch of things we don't need or want anymore to charity. I want to do more things but that's all I have so far.

My son won't be able to understand but we always donate to Trussell trust, give clothing/toys etc to a neighbour who collects for a Russian charity and I was thinking of doing the Samaritan shoebox appeal.

I usually put some things in the collection at our local Asda - toys to go to local children - and intend to get the kids to each choose something to put in this year.you could try contacting local homeless shelters / women's refuge to ask if you could donate anything? My work always do a charity thing instead of giving each other christmas cards, and one year we made up toiletry bags for the women's refuge as women fleeing abuse often arrive with nothing and they said they would be appreciated. Good to contact them to find out what they need I think. Maybe also getting them to choose one of the charity gifts from Oxfam / World Vision etc to give to friend / relatives - they are then choosing a gift for someone they know, and giving to charity and becoming more aware of just how fortunate thay are.

We have put £100 aside and will get all new presents (colouring books, sticker books, dolls, action men etc) to the children at the hospital children's ward x

The hospital I work at does Adopt a Family. You pick a family list off their Christmas tree, and it has needed items, and a few wants for the kids. I have the kids help me pick out things for the family, and explain that there are families out there who need things and can't afford them, so its nice to give what we can to help others.

We also regularly go through toys at Christmas time, and donate good condition toys they no logner play with to those in need.

We usually do the Samaritan's Purse shoe box appeal (it's NOT the Samaritans, it's a completely different charity) but I found out this year that they're an American Islamophobic evangelical organisation who aim to aggressively convert people through the appeal. I am a regular Church goer, but their philosophy does not sit right with me. The literature I've read about them has disturbed me, so we'll be looking for an alternative this year. This article is old, but everything it says is still correct: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/nov/10/religion.society

It's a real shame! I loved doing the boxes and it's a great way to help children understand about charity as it's so much more tangible than just giving money. There are other shoebox charities, such as Link Romania and Rotary, so we might look into doing one of these instead.

Our older kids school have a couple of huge boxes in the foyer closer to Christmas where you can donate toys, clothes etc and Food for a Christmas dinner, the kids always put stuff in those, they get pretty sad when they realize not everyone will get a nice hot Christmas dinner, so they insist we do this each yr.

I would like to find more stuff for them to do this yr too like a hot kitchen or something!!
Great thread!! :)

We have angel trees set up in the shopping mall with cards containing the name and age of a child and some of their wants, and I always pick one of those (or several when I can). My lo will only be 19 months at Christmas so won't understand yet, but when she gets a bit older I can explain and let her choose her own and pick out their gifts. Donating the outgrown toys is a good idea and I need to start doing that..will check into the local children's home and see if they take them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"