Do you think a mother's instinct is stronger than anything?

Harveysmum369

Mrs Christmas
Reaction score
The thread about the poor little boy who got chickenpox made me wonder...

if you took your child to a&e and you felt something wasn't right,would you leave?Or have you experienced 'mother's instinct'?

I'm not saying she was wrong to leave the hospital by the way,I know what it's like to be bundled out...

My experience is this:

Woke up one morning and told Dean I didn't want Harvey to go to nursery,Dean said he was fine and took him along...at 1pm I got a call at worl to say Harvey was breathing fast,his chest was tight and could we pick him up? Dean brought him home,I came home at 5pm and by 5.30pm we were in a&e,Harvey had an asthma attack....x

I have experienced mothers instinct on a few occasions but more recently end of February Tyler woke in the middle of the night sick it was a sat,he was continuously sick on the sunday and also had runny poo. Whatever he drank came straight back up. We had put him in nappies that day as he was to weak to go to the toilet. I was getting really concerned as we had no wet nappies from him. Everyone saying he was fine blah blah got to 8 hours of dry nappies and I phoned NHs direct they told me to take him to our of hours ASAP do I did. We had to take him to a different hospital with a childrens ward. Whilst there he drank water and wasn't sick so got sent home.

He woke up in the morning nappy soaking.and then he started being sick again. He was grey in colour his lips were white they were so dry and he couldn't even sit up. I told oh we were taking him back to the hosp as it wasnt normal. Tyler ended up being admitted into hosp for 3 nights and had to have 4 bags of fluid into a drip. Drs said if he'd have been dehydrated for longer then it could have been serious.

It really shook oh up who doubted my instinct at first.

I've just read that article and replied to the thread that mother's instinct is important. Then I saw your thread!

There are so many sad stories in the news about people being turned away from hosp/docs when they actually really need medical help... it's sad that it feels like you can't even trust your doctor!

Mother's instinct is defiinately important IMO, I know my LO best, like you all know yours, and if I think something is out of the ordinary with him then there most probably is x

After reading that I will ALWAYS trust my instinct, can't believe 3 doctors couldn't save him. I used to normally trust doctors with everything but I've had a number of things overlooked before which still worry me (like I have bad heart palpitations and a high pulse, yet I've never been referred to a hospital for it even though my old GP was fully aware).

There have been too many tragic stories like this lately. :(

My mothers instinct has been right many times, but it contributed to saving my LO's life when she was born..... I was adamant that my LO 'wasn't right' but the midwife who delivered her just shunned me.... Little did she know!!

I would never leave the hospital unless I was 100% happy, and I would push for a second/third/fourth opinion if necessary.

Yes a friend of my sisters have been all over the news recently after taking her 19 months old boy to the docs and A&E three times over the course of a week, where she was send home repeatedly, and he died in his sleep.

He died from renal failure because he was so dehydrated. He shouldnt have died, a drip could have saved his life.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/little-harry-connolly-was-sent-home-796048

Heartbreaking.

yep, I'm an advocate for mothers instinct too after saving my daughters life during a febrile convulsion last november.

it was the first one she'd ever had, and then went on to have 3 in a row lasting nearly 90 minutes. i was in the shower when it started, and she was on my bed. I just had a 'feeling' something wasn't right, got out the shower with my hair covered in shampoo and found her blue and fitting uncontrollably on our bed. I turned her into her side and put her in the recovery position but she wasn't breathing-so had to give her mouth to mouth before hysterically calling for an ambulance.
she had to be resuscitated twice in those 90 minutes and went to intensive care.

worst day of my life-I'm welling up just remembering it.

I think mothers instinct is really important. I was told i wasn't in labour and to go home when i was due with LO, they didn't even bother to check me. There was something inside me telling me that it was the right time to be at the hospital. Eventually they agreed to see me, i had to wait 20 mins in the waiting room first. Within a couple of minutes of the monitor being on my belly they were rushing me down to surgery because LOs heartbeat was dropping. I dread to think what would have happened if i listened to the midwife.

Donna that is so scary! Thank goodness you had that feeling :hugs:

Yes a friend of my sisters have been all over the news recently after taking her 19 months old boy to the docs and A&E three times over the course of a week, where she was send home repeatedly, and he died in his sleep.

He died from renal failure because he was so dehydrated. He shouldnt have died, a drip could have saved his life.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/little-harry-connolly-was-sent-home-796048

Heartbreaking.

Oh my god that is terrable! :cry:

Yup, i'm a firm believer in mothers instinct. All my instincts with Jacob have been right so i'd never ignore it.

i believe in mothers instinct. and i still get up during the night to check on my son. i always follow my instinct even if im wrong-id rather look silly than regret it.

This wasnt life or death but was still important. My DD has a cows milk protein allergy but no doctors would believe me. She was sick all the time and screamed in pain and eventually refused her milk all together (she was only a couple of months old so she relied completely on it). We kept telling doctors that it was the milk causing it and they refused to even see her so we sat in the doctors all day until somebody finally saw her. They still didnt believe us. We called the health visitors every day and we still got told listen to the doctor until we got hold of a different health visitor (one who had helped us when my DH had an asthma attack lasting days with no inhaler!) and she heard the screaming down the phone and said "Dont feed your baby any more of that milk. Im going to get you a prescription" Sure enough, within the hour there was one waiting for us at the doctors. She was the only one who listened to us and im thankful that somebody finally did.

I believe in mothers instincts. Only little and nothing serious but a couple of months back my lo felt really warm and waa clingy and just didnt seem right to me, i mentioned it to OH and he was like nah hes fine. Later that day i notices LO was cuttinf one of his big bacj teeth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->