Do you think the lockerbie bomber should have been freed?

bluebaby

Wife & mum to a princess
Reaction score
It is the one year anniversary of the lockerbie bombers release and the argument is still going on. Should he have been released or not?

Do you think the American government are taking the release too far? Are they disrespecting Scotland with their comments?

Do you think he is really ill?

Do you think he was even involved in the bombing?

Its neither here nor there what we think. The decision was made and it was a legal decision so I support it. I think America has to be reminded that they aren't leaders of the Universe, this was NOT their call to make.

Oh, and i don't think he was solely responsible. I think he was very much a scape goat :(

Its neither here nor there what we think. The decision was made and it was a legal decision so I support it. I think America has to be reminded that they aren't leaders of the Universe, this was NOT their call to make.

Oh, and i don't think he was solely responsible. I think he was very much a scape goat :(

I def think he is a scape goat, the people behind that bombing are still at large. I don't think Kenny McAskill would have made the decision he made if he didn't have exceptional evidence that it was in the prisoners best interest to be released. He knew there would be a backlash.

I agree, America think that they can just speak out very disrespectfully about another country's decisions as if they are the governing body of all countries.

i just heard some senator on the news and all his speech was was about america :dohh: something along the lines of the terrorists will think its a small price to pay for spilling american blood... sigh.

Freeing him on the grounds of being "compassionate"... try being compassionate towards all those people who lost a loved one. Pfft

BBC says "senators want "more information on the medical opinions that led to the conclusion that Megrahi had just three months to live and details on communications between BP and the British government". So the scottish government released him because BP told them too!!!! Yeah right

A lot of the victims of the families dont think he was responsible bexy, or if he was he def wasnt solely responsible. Theres people out there who did it and got off completely scot free.

It made me angry that USA demanded kenny mcaskill go to some meeting over there :shock: who do they thinkt hey are :( I'm glad he didnt go :)

Ah I see. I haven't really read the ins and outs of what went on tbh. Why did they charge him then? Was he just an accomplice of some sorts? If he had any involvement I still don't think he should have been released

Freeing him on the grounds of being "compassionate"... try being compassionate towards all those people who lost a loved one. Pfft

People are compassionate - it was a terrible thing to happen but there is no point in blaming someone who prob had such a small part to play. Alot of americans don't think he's guilty.

its a huge conspiracy hun. its quite interesting really, you should read up on it if you have a free bit of time one day.

It made me angry that USA demanded kenny mcaskill go to some meeting over there :shock: who do they thinkt hey are :( I'm glad he didnt go :)

Its a scottish decision at the end of the day - we don't meddle in american affairs. Macaskill is standing his ground!

Ooh I love conspiracies, I'll look it up one night and have a read :thumbup:

Ooh I love conspiracies, I'll look it up one night and have a read :thumbup:

It seems like everything has a conspiracy theory attached to them, don't they. September 11, lockerbie bomber, JFK assassination, Iraq war.

Release on compassionate grounds is part of our legal system in Scotland. People in prison with terminal illness can apply for release and will usually be granted release.

There has been a suggestion that Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi stopped taking his medication and as a result his condition worsened, making it seem that he had 3 months to live. Now that he has been released he is taking a new endstage prostate cancer drug and it is this which has extended his life expectency. Yet another 'conspiracy' type theory but one which seems quite plausible.

Many things about this whole case have made me angry in the last year. The biggest one is the repeated remarks made in America about the loss of American life, how American life should not have been sold so cheaply, etc. The plane crashed in Lockerbie. 270 people died on the plane and while the majority were American, 80 people came from elsewhere. This did not just happen to Americans. It devastated a whole community in Scotland too, one which will arguably never recover. Kenny McAskill should not have appeared at any American Senate hearing. He is a Scottish Minister in the Scottish Parliament.

Well I assume since he is in jail he had a trial and was found guilty so i will go with that. I dont think he should have been real eased early its a slap in the face for victims families. Why show him compassionate? he would have got treatment in prison anyway. Its just dredged up anger and upset among victims families who are always put last where the law regards.

I think it highlights a real difference between Scottish/British culture and US culture. We are a bit less focussed on revenge no matter what IMO. I am getting really annoyed at the US senate making all these demands of the Scottish Govt. And do they really think that the UK govt could really order the SNP to do something? Laughable in my opinion.

Well I assume since he is in jail he had a trial and was found guilty so i will go with that. I dont think he should have been real eased early its a slap in the face for victims families. Why show him compassionate? he would have got treatment in prison anyway. Its just dredged up anger and upset among victims families who are always put last where the law regards.

But the law in Scotland allows for release on compassionate grounds. It is our law and really I don't think that the US has any right to challenge it. Some US states allow the death penalty but the Scottish Parliament are not demanding US Senators come to Edinburgh to justify themselves.

I def think he is a scape goat, the people behind that bombing are still at large. I don't think Kenny McAskill would have made the decision he made if he didn't have exceptional evidence that it was in the prisoners best interest to be released. He knew there would be a backlash.

I agree, America think that they can just speak out very disrespectfully about another country's decisions as if they are the governing body of all countries.

Agree with you both :thumbup:

I think he is a murderer and should be in jail, 'terminally' ill or not. I also agree about the US government thinking they can tell, or should I say order, other countries what to do. Butt out

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->