Do you think this should be allowed

Aidan's Mummy

Mummy to Aidan and Oliver
Reaction score
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100820/twl-judge-asks-doctors-to-damage-crimina-3fd0ae9.html

What do you all think? Would you support it if was allowed to happen? Or is it going to far?

I am really uneasy that someone would think of this as a punishment. The man did wrong, increase his jail sentance yes but don't paralyise him.
xx

OMG that is beyond belief - this world shouldn't operate on 'an eye for and eye' :nope:

I don't agree with it myself.. And eye for an eye and all that is all well and good.. The problem with that though is that in the end everyone ends up blind:nope:

i don't agree but its often an eye for a eye in america with the death peniltay, happens in other countries as well, if you kill someone you should die? but what if its wrong, mistakes happen...

i personally think that jail if run properly can work effectivly but then it depends on the person i guess. not sure the punishment fits the crime though.

I can see where they're coming from on this - you could argue it's a way to make the punishment fit the crime - let's be honest, 7 months in prison is in NO way sufficient punishment.

Having said that it just doesn't seem right to deliberately paralyse someone. I think I'd prefer to hear them going for the death penalty than this.

whoa... Don't really see how that's right, although it's terrible that he only served 7 mths for paralysing a young man...

That's taking things way too far. It's a bit sick in my opinion. It's kind of giving out the message that it's ok to paralyse someone... if you get what I mean. =/ Life imprisonment would be a better punishment. Even the death penalty would be better than that.

Blimey. It often astonishes me the practices some other cultures still use. I'm a member of Amnesty International. Glad to see they were looking into it.

Appalled, but not surprised :(

The proverb "two wrongs don't make a right" comes to mind and in this instance, the distinction between crime and punishment becomes blurred. Article 5, in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that 'No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment' - for this to have any meaning, it important for governments and legal bodies to set an example.

I think this is wrong on so many levels.

It's wrong that this is legal for one,
but even more wrong that a doctor actually would consider doing it.
Or that this man actually asked for his brother (even if he DID paralyze him) to be paralyzed-- I'd NEVER wish that on anyone and I'd leave it up to karma to deal with them.. because ultimately I wouldn't want to be responsible for that

I didn't read this article fully but I read the situation in the paper here, one hospital said no, they would not do it, but another said it'd be possible at a better facility or something?

Ick. Thank God I'm Canadian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"