Do you use large cuts of meat for multiple meals?

missk1989

Reaction score
Does anyone buy large cuts of meat and then use it to make different meals all week? I sometimes get a shoulder of pork and make pulled pro sandwiches then chilli. Realistically I could make 3-4 meals rather than the two but worry we will get bored and OH doesnt like frozen meat. Ive seen 750g of mince pork on sainsburys 2 for £5 deal I might get if i can think of something to make with it. What cuts of meat do you make the most of?

I wonder this too, the problem is that the more I cook the more we eat, if I use a big joint hubby just thinks he can have twice as much :haha: so it's not really worked with us in the past! My favourite is to make beef sandwiches from left over roast, but I'm not very imaginative!

Same as MW, even if I say that I want leftovers there won't really be any lol.

Lol, Im not sure two people could physically eat 1.2 kg of pork! I do sandwiches with homemade coleslaw and chips and sometimes we have a desert. The joint would easily feed 6 large portions! A chicken I really struggle for leftovers. I swear they are getting smaller!

If you buy a chicken from the butchers rather than a supermarket you get much more meat on it. I'm awful... I cook way too much and the dog gets the leftovers! but I did learn how to cook a chicken, remove the breasts, the thighs, wings, drumsticks and such.. You get loads of meat as the breasts are huge! I then pull off the fatty leftover bits for the dog :) x

I reckon I get the most out of a chicken!
I'll do a curry or fried rice with the left over chicken. And then will freeze the last of it (any reason your oh doesn't like it frozen?).
Roast beef there never any left if it a regular size as hubby loves beef! But when I have had left over I did a beef Thai massuman curry which is yummy, and if slow cooked the meat stays so tender!

Yes :) a 1.2 kg chicken will do a Sunday dinner, a pasta bake, a curry and I make a soup from the carcass :)

Yes :) a 1.2 kg chicken will do a Sunday dinner, a pasta bake, a curry and I make a soup from the carcass :)

How?! We've just used a 1.3kg chicken for one meal, chicken wraps!

If we have a roast and have left overs I do a pie, either beef and onion or chicken and leek. We don't usually have left overs to be honest!!

My OH eats the legs, wings and dark meat so that's enough for his meals. I shred the chicken breasts. I buy morrisons chickens which have large breasts. I bulk meals out so I don't need a lot of meat and that's how I manage it. It wasn't until I did this that I realised how much we over ate. There are only 2 of us adults and Thomas doesn't eat a lot.

My OH eats the legs, wings and dark meat so that's enough for his meals. I shred the chicken breasts. I buy morrisons chickens which have large breasts. I bulk meals out so I don't need a lot of meat and that's how I manage it. It wasn't until I did this that I realised how much we over ate. There are only 2 of us adults and Thomas doesn't eat a lot.

We chuck out the legs etc tbh....

We chuck out the legs etc tbh....

Well no wonder then :haha: You should just buy the breasts :thumbup:

Yeah we do buy breasts most of the time, I just find roasted whole chicken tastier, it's never the same when I just cook breasts lol. We only tend to have a whole chicken once a week. I also don't over cook a whole chicken like I do breasts :haha:

my mum when she buys a pork joint, depending on the size of it she will cut it into two and freeze then will cook off one for our Sunday roast one week and one a couple weeks after, whatever is left she will use for a casserole or similar

My other half also stated he didn't like frozen meat.. Until I slow cooked some casseroles and bits.. He couldn't even tell as it was so tender! X

yep, I use bigger cuts to make several meals. Roasts I typically put in the slow cooker for a roast the first night, then any leftover we'll either eat the same meal the next night, or sometimes I shred it for BBQ.

chicken is so easy to use for whatever once its cooked up. I chop it up for a casserole the next day, or for enchiladas, or whatever. Also, I sometimes tend to cheat with this and just buy a Rotisserie chicken at the store that's already cooked, lol. They are the same price as an uncooked chicken, and save me the work. So then I just have to pull all the meat off the bones for whatever I need the chicken for.

Yeah we do buy breasts most of the time, I just find roasted whole chicken tastier, it's never the same when I just cook breasts lol. We only tend to have a whole chicken once a week. I also don't over cook a whole chicken like I do breasts :haha:

Keep an eye on your supermarkets reduction bay I pick up meat very cheap there. I can't remember the last time I paid full price for meat x and if you have a supermarket that ready cooks chickens (like morrisons) you can often pick up a whole chicken for 99p at the right time which will do a cheap dinner :thumbup:

we do if lamb is on special i tend to do a roast and have enough for another 2-3 meals leftover so freeze it and make minted lamb pie or casserole with it and it is sooo tender. Chicken again i do a roast and have enough to do enchiladas or chicken and leek pie or casserole and if we only have a small amount of meat left just make a chicken and veg soup. Also we only buy pork or lamb mince as oh doesnt like beef and we just use it for spag bol and lasagna or make meat ball i usually split the big packs in half then bulk out with sweetcorn or grated carrot x

It saves so much money to do it!

My grocery usually stocks nice big pork loins that I can get multiple meals out of. And I'll keep my eye out for large cuts of beef on special that can be done as a roast or cut up for stews. OH doesn't like bone-in chicken, so I just buy packages of breasts, unless I want to make chicken soup which I make from scratch starting with a whole chicken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->