Does 5 weeks make a differance?

lozzy21

Mummy to Niamh
Reaction score
Niamh was born at 35+4 with a huge birth weight of 8lb15. All the health profesionals commented on how big she was for her gestation but as she never had any issues with her breathing or feeding apart, from comparing her jaundice levels at 35 weeks and going on the premie chart for her weight shes been treated as a term baby.

What im wondering is should i expect her to reach her milestones at her actual age or her corrected age? No one has ever mentioned it and i dident think to ask when we were in hospital.

Hi hun, Chloe was born at 34+6 weighing 6lb 5oz. I thought that was a good weight but Niamh's weight was amazing!

I have found Chloe is definitely following the development of babies around her due date rather than her date of birth. She started sitting a feew weeks ago and is not rolling or trying to crawl yet. She is a big girl still (nearly 21lbs now!) and I think that is slowing her deveopment down too.

Every baby is so different though and you may find that there is no delay in her development. x

Thanks hun, gess i will have to wait and see

Connor was born a 34+6 and seemed to do things at his gestational age. He smiled at 10 weeks actual.

Emma was almost 5 weeks early. She was much smaller (5lbs 13) and went down to 5lbs 2oz because of jaundice. I think that she did things in the early days about 4 weeks behind. She was so small and fragile (and poorly) though so we are maybe not the best comparison. Now she is almost 18 months I can see no difference between her and her peers so they do catch up regardless of how it is at the start.

ellie was born at 35 weeks and weighed 4lb 3oz but went down to 3lb 1oz due to an infection but Ellie is 6 weeks today (6 days corrected age) I am just going to wait and see what happens xx

With my 2 35 weekers the main differences were that they had really bad jaundice and their development at the start was closer to gestational age but that was caught up by 1.:flower:

My LO was 5 weeks early too. He weighed 6lbs and went down to 5lb 10oz. He first smiled at about 10 weeks, and he did his first chuckle today. He's 16 weeks tomorrow.
HTH.

My LO was 5 weeks early as well. he weighed 5lb exactly. now he is gonna be 5 month on 25 dec and weighs 16,5 lb. i am so proud of him, he tippled his weight, and there is no difference between his and other babies development:D

Cormack was born at 35 weeks exactly. He's now 2 and almost 2 months. He weighed 5lbs 10 I think (without looking it up). He hit all the early milestones at dead on the same time as others but didn't walk til he was just over 18mths. When we took him for his 2 year check the hv said he was perfect in terms of milestones! And his speach is very advanced!!!

You just have to wait and see. Although our babies are classified as preemies I never think of him as one. Maybe you won't need to either but it's always there in the back of your mind as reassurance.

Do you ever wonder what weight she would have been if you had gone a bit closer to term? Did they tell you what they thought?
I would say still go with her due date but its really no more than a month so I dont think I would be too worried about it.

Im gessing she would have been around the 11lb mark if she had gone to term. A few MW mentioned GD but i was tested for it and it came back negative.

Im gessing she would have been around the 11lb mark if she had gone to term. A few MW mentioned GD but i was tested for it and it came back negative.

Same here on both accounts lozzy!

I now find myself wondering if I need to think of her as 2 weeks or 7/8 weeks...? More so this week because she seems to be fighting a bug thats going around.

Well shes now 7 weeks old, her head control is pritty great, she knows mine and OH's voice and will follow us around the room but itsent smiling propperly yet or "talking" so id say shes in the middle of her actual age and her ajusted age

I laugh when i see her weight chart, shes on the 98th percentile since they mark her back 5 weeks

Chloe's started on the 91st line when she was born but is now on the 98th line! :haha:

A bit off topic but my friend had her baby on Tuesday... she was 32+1 and he weighed 8lbs!!! He's a massive preemie!

As long as the baby is healthy, no worries! Mine was 6 weeks early, 4lbs. and jaundice, and she just graduated early from University!

My Lo was born at 34+3 weighing 5lb4oz. Went down to 4lb10oz. Id say leo follows his corrected age more than his actual. He started smiling at 11/12wks. Doesn't giggle yet tho. Hes now (last wk) 11lb4oz at 4 months old.

Xxx

Kian was born at 34+6 he weighed 5lb5 but went down to 4lb14, i found in the first 3 months or so, he was doing things around his dute date , but he seems to have caught up now a lot xx

This is always a difficult question I think. On the one hand it might seem like 5 weeks isn't worth correcting, but on the other hand, to suggest that is almost like me saying your baby wasn't that premature, which is awful!

I think whatever their prematurity, chuck the book out the window. Sure, dip into it evey now and then to see roughly where they are.

Even at 29 weeks, Abby hit some waaaaay early and others waaaaay late (and some not at all, but that's a different story!)

One HV gave me some great advice. It's not so much about when they hit them, more about how they progress. So no matter when they roll over, what you've looking for is what the next progression would be from that and how long that should roughly take. Explained like that I thought "wow, what a simple, logical thing to do"

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->