Does Anyone Know . .

alloyd519

Mom of Twins & TTC #3
Reaction score
what the average weight is that babies have to be before they're allowed to leave the hospital?? I thought it was 5 lbs but then my husband's doctor said the hospital let her leave and take her twins home when they were 4 lbs . . . I'm sure how the babies are breathing and doing health wise factors into it but i'm just wondering what the average weight is. I just worry since i'm having twins which are typically smaller and am worried about having to leave them in the hospital after i'm discharged.

My friends premmie wasn't allowed out untill he was 5lb although twins are made smaller, so I'm not sure whether the allowence is different for twins. I guess if they're completely healthy there shouldn't be a problem

Hi
Congrats on your double surprise, how wonderful.

I was present at my niece's birth last April and she was 6 wks prem and weighed 4lbs 9oz. She was actually 100% healthy apart from not being able to suckle. Therefore she was kept in for a week fed by a tube until the nurses were satisfied she could bottle feed.

Don't quote me on this but im sure if they are healthy with no problems they will let you take them home. I think my niece would have gone home the next day if she was feeding ok.

I would suggest you talk to your midwife about it as im sure she would have the answers for you.

Good luck and take care x

As long as the baby feeding, fit and well, I do not believe there is any weight requirements, it really depends on the baby's health and what is best for him/her. x

I was under the same impression as Tam, that the weight doesn't matter so much as the overall healthy of the baby and whether or not he/she is feeding properly

I was told with my other 3 children they had to be at least 5lb and feeding well etc before they would be allowed to leave the hospital. Although this may be different for twins.

I agree with the others. I think it tends to be when they can breath ok, feed and are fairly able to control their temperatures more than weight. Obviously the smaller the baby, the harder they find it but some are born tiny and absoloubtly fine so they go home quickly.

My daughter was born weighing 2lbs 12oz and when we took her home 6.5 weeks later she weighed 4lbs 4oz. I think it has more to do with how the baby is doing, feeding, regulating temp. and stuff like that, than the weight. Although I do know that some hospitals are very strict about the 5 lb rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->