Does getting checked hurt?

ashleylu88

Tiny bit pregnant w #1 :)
Reaction score
I am currently 38 weeks and 3 days pregnant and I am getting checked for the first time on Wednesday, I will be 38 weeks and 5 days pregnant then.

I have heard that getting checked is very painful. What was you ladies experiences with being checked?

Its uncomfortable and not very pleasant but feels very similar to a smear/pap test being done, its the same instrument used. It can be a little painful if your cervix isnt ready at all because it is high and posterior so its more painful then when ure cervix is lower and starting to open xxx

As the above poster said it depends on where your cervix is sitting. It's not pleasant but you'll go through worse lol I've had more painful sex if I'm honest.

My first cervix check was last week...my ob just used her gloved fingers to check. There was no pain, just some pressure because my cervix was really high so she had a hard time reaching it. But she didn't use a speculum or any other instruments.

I didn't think it would bother me at all, but in fact it was incredibly painful for me. It was all emergency and stuff for me, I was only 33 weeks along. The doctor was especially bad, he had huge hands and I guess my cervix was WAY high. The nurse checked me, it was more what I expected - uncomfortable, but not unbearable. I guess if your doctor has huge hands....

didnt hurt at all for me, just unconfortable.. my OB just stuck her fingers up there and checked I just felt a lil bit of pressure but nothing horrible. A period cramp is worse than that.

I never had one but my friend said it was super painful and she grabbed the doctor's arm out of shock as he did the check! So I plan on turning down any checks if they ask to do one.

My doctor doesn't do them until you're over 39 weeks anyway as can cause infection or make contractions start, and also doesn't tell you anything. You can go from no dilation to 10 cm in a few hours, or walk around several cm dilated for a month!

My dr checked me last time..my dr has pretty big hands but I didn't think it hurt...there was pressure but nothing I rly even had to breath through or anything..main thing is to stay relaxed..sounds weird but I had chronic strep as a kid and used to FREAK when they hsd to do the throat swab and my pediatrician helped me learn to relax and I got rly good at it lol so now most medical stuff doesn't hurt me.

Didn't bother me, I was checked with dd a few times during my pregnancy and then obviously during labour and it wasn't painful or anything.

I got checked when I was in the hospital this weekend. I was 3cm and cervix was low and soft. She said she felt babies head... but YES it was painful!!! Over quickly though :) Not like a papsmear at all for me...was just her gloved hand.

i found it painful being checked in my other two pregnancies. Actually very painful i told the doc not to come near me again or touch me! It varies from person but my 1st was the worst as i was induced and my cervix was really high up! x

Hiya I had one last night, was a gloved hand, midwife only had small hands and altho I'd say was slightly painful or uncomfy, I've forgotten already how felt!! Mine is still high ish but she could touch it and said closed but startin thin and come lower and she though be v high, so things happening, guitted wasn't in labour as had been havin tighting all day! Lol. But don't worry I am v shy and they so lovely its not embrassing. I have got a bit of tear down there now which is stingy and bleedin but can se a tiny graze or tear near openin - worried now if that's from a hand let lone a baby comin out there!! U will be fine hun xx

Hey, although my anatomy is such that doesn't make vaginal exams pleasant (although I have a deep set, I'm rather narrow), it never hurt. Unpleasant/uncomfortable/embarrassing, yes, but it doesn't hurt at all if you relax your muscles. What i hate is the silly speculum, and I plan on fighting against it. :p

It was very painful for me - tbh i wasn't expecting it! Sex was painful for me while pregnant with DS1 so I guess it shouldn't have been a surprise.

I had asked for a sweep and when he attempted to just check me, my body immediately shot/slid up on the exam bed. Wouldn't let him near me after that!

Everyone is different though. I'm hoping for a vbac this time around, so will try to toughen up when it comes to a cervix check and sweep....or I don't know what I will do with contractions!

I don't worry about the pain, but the idea of someone (other than OH obviously :haha:) poking around at my foofoo freaks me out, I don't think it's something you ever get used to, huh.
I'm 22 and the only kind of check I've had "down there" was an ultrasound for cysts a couple of years ago. Eek.

I was checked this weekend at the hospital had some bleeding at 31 weeks. It was very uncomfortable to me I had to hold my husbands hand. It is painful to me nothing like a pap smear. Luckily the baby is doing fine.

I just had another check. Cervix is still low and soft 3cm and 50%. It didn't hurt at all! I wouldn't even say it was uncomfortable. It was a different ob then last time so I guess it all depends on who's doing it!

Thanks for all the feedback ladies : ))

My check went fine, uncomfortable but not painful. I was 3cm dilated and 90% effaced, he said I would more than likely have her by Monday:happydance: BUT it's Sunday afternoon where I am at and still no sign of her coming. I have been walking, eating fresh pineapple, and bouncing on a ball. Me and dh are gonna try sex tonight too. I have an app on Tuesday at 2:45, if she isn't here by then to set up induction for Thursday May 2nd, the day before my due date. I am hoping she comes on her own though, I really don't want to be induced.

I had one today, it hurt alittle, but not to the point of real pain. No dialation for me yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->