Does tandem nursing cause cavities?

Brieanna

Reaction score
I am currently nursing my 2.5 year old and newborn. I know that cavities are caused by the bacteria strep mutans and the presence of things like sugar and not breastmilk alone.

I am unsure if dd has strep mutans but want to be extra careful because my OH and everyone on his side of the family has horrible teeth (they brush and floss etc, it's genetic). I'm going to try and avoid cup, straw, utensil-sharing, but know that bacteria exchange is pretty inevitable, but would like to avoid it as long as possible.

Does anyone know if I nurse dd then later nurse ds on the same breast if this will pass on the bacteria IF dd does indeed have it? If it will, is there anything I can do to avoid this? I know that washing with soap and water will dry out my already sore nipples. Would just rinsing with water between nursing be enough? Obviously I can't sterilize my nipples, lol.

Thanks!

Hi Hun im a dental nurse, never heard of the possibility before and until ur lo has teeth, the decaying process isn't possible at all xx

I think that passing germs between siblings is totally inevitable, and if I were you I wouldn't worry too much about it. They will share spoons, fingers, cups, etc. I think your best bet is to practice and teach proper oral hygiene in order to prevent cavities :)

Edit: Cavities usually occur due to numerous factors. Other things you can do are limit sugar, get enough calcium, brush after meals, etc.

Hi Hun im a dental nurse, never heard of the possibility before and until ur lo has teeth, the decaying process isn't possible at all xx

I'm a dental hygienist, and I'm going to completely disagree with this.

Most babies get strep mutans/oral bacterial composition from their parents in the very early ages if life via kissing, utensils, licking off a dropped pacifier, etc. The presence of teeth only allows for the decay to begin, it doesn't change that the bacteria are already present.

I can't say anything about breast milk as I am truly ignorant as to its composition. Just watch carb intake also, people are mistaken in only blaming sugar.

As someone already said, I think sharing between siblings is almost inevitable. You are clearly a very thoughtful and concerned mother, and that will serve your child better than anything :flower:

Most babies get strep mutans/oral bacterial composition from their parents in the very early ages if life via kissing, utensils, licking off a dropped pacifier, etc. The presence of teeth only allows for the decay to begin, it doesn't change that the bacteria are already present.

I can't say anything about breast milk as I am truly ignorant as to its composition. Just watch carb intake also, people are mistaken in only blaming sugar.

As someone already said, I think sharing between siblings is almost inevitable. You are clearly a very thoughtful and concerned mother, and that will serve your child better than anything :flower:

I've totally sucked the paci after I dropped it on the floor of a plane with my screaming baby. Eck!

what i was sayin is if baby has no teeth, then there is no way this can be a factor for cavities later on, say the pp stops tandem nursing before teeth erupt, then there would b no risk at all from bfing imo...

what i was sayin is if baby has no teeth, then there is no way this can be a factor for cavities later on, say the pp stops tandem nursing before teeth erupt, then there would b no risk at all from bfing imo...

But bacterial composition has already been established, its just a sitting duck waiting for eruption. A bit like having lighter fuel on the barbeque, just waiting for the match.... :flower:

I'm tandem nursing as well. Breastmilk is anti-bacterial, so personally, I'm not going to worry about it!

I would say its pretty inevitable at their age, whether it be from the actual breast, or from licking each other toys, putting things in their mouths ,etc. Practicing and instilling good oral hygiene in your kids is really the best bet. Start cleaning their gums regularly now, and then brushing teeth regularly when they erupt. Make a good habit of it, and hopefully the good habit will stay with them to take good care of their teeth.

I'm tandem nursing as well. Breastmilk is anti-bacterial, so personally, I'm not going to worry about it!

It's full of sugar:)

"It is also now known that breast milk contains a unique type of sugars, oligosaccharides, which are long chains of complex sugars. So far scientists have identified 140 of them and estimate there are about 200. These types of sugars are found nowhere else in nature, and not every mother produces the same ones, since they vary by blood type. However, the oligosaccharides are not digestible by infants and are instead meant to feed the beneficial bacteria that live in the intestine and help to fight infections. Also found in breast milk are endo-cannabinoids, which may act as an appetite stimulant, but they also regulate appetite so infants don't eat too much."

It's not the same kind of "sugar" that will rot your teeth.

"Up until recently, the only studies that had been done were on the effects of lactose (milk sugar, which breastmilk does contain) on teeth, not the effects of *complete* breastmilk with all its components. Breastmilk also contains lactoferrin, a component in breastmilk that actually kills strep mutans (the bacteria that causes tooth decay)."

https://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/tooth-decay/

Any sugar is bad for teeth if not brushed off. It's less bad than refined sugar granted, but it's still not great for teeth. An oral care regime should be implemented as soon as teeth erupt.

But bacterial composition has already been established, its just a sitting duck waiting for eruption. A bit like having lighter fuel on the barbeque, just waiting for the match.... :flower:

well no....process of decay is decalcification, and then remineralisation from your saliva, bacterial composition is a totally diff process and one u will not stop, there is natural bacteria on everything! Foods, utensils, the air we breath....nothing is tooth friendly including milk, as there are natural sugars

well no....process of decay is decalcification, and then remineralisation from your saliva, bacterial composition is a totally diff process and one u will not stop, there is natural bacteria on everything! Foods, utensils, the air we breath....nothing is tooth friendly including milk, as there are natural sugars

Agree! There is a misconception because it's natural and not "refined"It must be ok.....would it stop me bf? No, but it's definitely something that I would be concerned with to implement a regime as early as possible in both children. In my case it was twins so both at the same time.

Agree! There is a misconception because it's natural and not "refined"It must be ok.....would it stop me bf? No, but it's definitely something that I would be concerned with to implement a regime as early as possible in both children. In my case it was twins so both at the same time.

oooh yes they deffo need a good early routine :) in the grand scheme of things, bfing is a very tiny part of the picture :)

I dont think you and I are going to agree lol :) Im not discussing "bacteria on everything," Im discussing oral bacteria DETRIMENTAL to the oral cavity. Salivary remineralizatio is not completely effective or else all anyone would have to do once they were told they had the start of a cavity is just use fluoride and keep it clean and ta-dah, its going to heal. Its a grandly overhyped expectation of the natural process one it reaches past 1/3 of the enamel.

Regardless, I applaud you for being in an educating position and will agree to disagree :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->