Does your child take vitamins/supplements?

hekate

An Angel & an Earth Child
Reaction score
Are they really necessary?

Redley was 7 weeks premature and has been breastfeed/ebm-feed from day one....
he is on Dalivit (multivitamin), Folic acid and Iron (sytron)....
I think the supplements are upsetting his stomach...specially the iron and the folic acid has all sorts of additives (including sweeteners) that I am not really happy about feeding him....

I also thought Breastmilk contained all nutrients your baby needs?!:shrug:

what are your thoughts? anyone not on supplements/special formula?
and if your child has/had them, then for how long did they take these?

thanks for any replies!:flower:

Yes my lo takes the multivitamin abidec and the iron sytron. She is 7 1/2 months corrected and still on them. I am not sure how much longer she will be on them but it is a fight every night to give her them as she hates them but until a consultant tells me otherwise I will carry on.

I think any baby under 35 weeks is given them unless they are on a special formula because it's in the last weeks of pregnancy your baby builds up a store of iron etc to see them through the first 6 months before weaning.

At the beginning abidec used to make my lo sick so I always ensured she got it at least an hour after a feed.

My lo is also on Dalivit and iron. They said for her to have them every day until fully weaned

Yup, Andrew is now 16 months and is still on folic acid, sytron & abidec (multi-vit). I'm going to ask the Paediatrician in January how long this will continue.

Molly has never taken any vitamins etc :shrug:

I've had conflicting information! The neonatal nurses sent Leo home with the dalivit and sytron to be started after coming off his nutriprem, the consultant also said this, but when we saw the nutritionist at 4 months she said it won't be needed as when I start weaning him, he should be getting everything he needs.. I was unhappy with this so asked the HV (!!!!) she's a good one and an ex neonatal nurse by the way lol.. and she said not to bother with the sytron as he's on nutriprem until he's weaned, but give him the dalivit as it's recommended forall under 5's anyway.. so I think I'll just do that,he used to go crazy when he had sytron in the hospital! xx

Like yours, my LO was sent home on Delavit, Sytron and Folic Acid (once a week).

I do still give it but often forget and I don't worry too much about it. I figure that he gets what he needs from my breastmilk anyway.

Like you, I have worried about what it in it, it must take something to turn it that colour!

My twins are still on Dalivit. Ethan had caffeine right the way through until he was 2. They all stopped the iron at 12 months corrected

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->