Dogs and Pregnancy

ParisJeTadore

Mum to my beautiful kids!
Reaction score
Does anyone know if animals are more in tune to pregnancy and labour? Last time I went into labour and was having some pretty intense contractions my dog took all of the clothing in my laundry basket and pushed it around with his teeth and nose in an attempt to make a nest. He had never done that before and hasn't done it since.

Now that I'm pregnant again I find he follows me around way more than he usually does.

Has this happened to anyone else with their pets?

Absolutely!

My German Shepherd is my shadow and my cat stalks me around the house.

I think for the cat it's just because I am radiating more heat and he is old and wants to sit on me.

Our dog though is very protective of my daughter and I've just recently been included in his protective circle. He moves several times a night from her bedside to mine and back.

Yup. When u was pregnant with DS she would follow me around constantly and would lay next to me, or with her head on my tummy. Once DS was born she would shadow anyone who was holding him. When we took him out for the first time she sat at the back gate crying untill we came home. (20minz and she was with my brother)
This time she lays on my feet, is always on my side of the bed, always follows me around. If DS is in our bed she will sleep at the botton of the bed near him. Its very sweet

I haven't noticed any change in our pets (2 dogs, 1 cat). The male dog looks out for me anyway, and our bitch mostly looks out for herself :winkwink: Ditto the cat!

Not sure what will happen once baby arrives - it would not surprise me if they guard him, as they are partly bred to do that.

We have a puppy, nearly five months old and we've had her two months so she has only known me as pregnant. She definitely is very different with me and DF. She plays harder with him and if I cry she sits on my lap and looks at me. I'm not sure it's because I'm preg or because she's just a sweetie. My cat doesn't give a hoot about anything but food and a clean litter box. I'm sure pets sense a difference and react differently.

Our rotty has been following me around, sits with me, lays in our bedroom, places his head on my belly, stuff he normally didn't do with me until the pregnancy. Haha, he mostly stays close to me, and gets jealous and overprotective when I cuddle up on Lovey.

I don't know about dogs but my cats are certainly none the wise about my pregnancy. I think they just like that I'm home all the time now so can tickle and stroke them more often. However one will think nothing of trying to climb on the bump and sit there but the other one won't at all (he used to lay himself right up my front for tickles) so perhaps he does know...
I'm really interested to see how they will react to the new baby though.

I have 3 dogs.. i was suffering morning sickness (which i though was a bug) and i remember saying to my OH 'why wont the dogs stop sitting at my feet' his reply was 'you better not be pregnant' week or so later still 'ill' i did a test + ofc was positive, then they stopped sitting at my feet as much.
as i started to get further on my bitch would lay and put her head on my tummy, its not really odd behaviour, my youngest dog would sit on my knee anyway!
they dont really seem to be more careful around me but they would rather sit with me on the smallest sofa than with OH on the big spacious sofa, my bitch tends to lay at the side of me and either puts her head or her paw on my tummy, but doesnt move when he kicks she just looks at me, my youngest male usually puts his head on my bump but my other male is very grumpy anyway and just lays on my feet all the time.
Like i say they dont tend to be more careful with me, they stick their paws in my tummy and my grumpy male often tries to stand on my tummy.
They say that dogs can sense alot, they can hear your HB & your blood moving around, if thats true i suppose they would be able to hear babys HB and movements?

Does anyone know if animals are more in tune to pregnancy and labour? Last time I went into labour and was having some pretty intense contractions my dog took all of the clothing in my laundry basket and pushed it around with his teeth and nose in an attempt to make a nest. He had never done that before and hasn't done it since.

Now that I'm pregnant again I find he follows me around way more than he usually does.

OMG that is the cutest thing i've ever heard!! I would think a girl dog would have been more apt to do that so it's cute that a boy dog made you a nest! He was probably like, why didn't you use it? Haha

My dogs are following me around like CRAZY (I have three) and my cat, who is normally chilling in my basement, has been upstairs a lot more and even sleeping with me in bed.

OMG that is the cutest thing i've ever heard!! I would think a girl dog would have been more apt to do that so it's cute that a boy dog made you a nest! He was probably like, why didn't you use it? Haha

My dogs are following me around like CRAZY (I have three) and my cat, who is normally chilling in my basement, has been upstairs a lot more and even sleeping with me in bed.

I know! I never expected to see a male dog do this. Didn't think it was in their instincts! Guess he would have made a great dog husband to some girl dog, lol!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I love hearing stories about pets and pregnancy. Feel free to add and keep them coming!

yep my dog keeps putting his head on my tummy too, before i was pregnant he would stick his head in my armpit lol

My dog is driving me crazy! I am sure I am going to trip over him at some point soon haha

Wow ladies this is awesome. I'm kinda jelly, not sure my dog knows I'm pregnant. I can tell he felt bad for me when he heard me gagging in the bathroom but other than that he just wants snacks, lol.

Complete opposite for me. My dog used to follow me everywhere and wasn't at all interested in my husband she was my little baby but now she has switched and wont cuddle up to me much at all she goes straight to my husband but makes sure shes facing me as if to say "you've got a new baby so I'll be daddys baby instead" shes an attention seeking little moo!

I have 3 dogs, my oldest male dog has shown signs of knowing since we found out. He normally snuggles with my husband but has started snuggling with me instead. My middle dog, she follows me all over the house and sleeps at my feet when I am on the computer. Our youngest dog...he doesn't know whats going on. He just wants to be fed and have his tummy rubbed lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->